End Times Confusion and Purchasing

When the Nagash book dropped I bought it, loved it, and bought models.  I also bought the Glotkin books and the Khaine.

But now, with increasingly solid rumors of 9th on the horizon, I'm having a hard time seeing why I would buy anything fantasy related right now.  I have no idea what parts of the game will survive, no idea what races will survive (I apparently chose a crappy time to buy a lizard men army), no idea whether these current new models are just a cash grab or useable long-term, etc.

The current uncertainty has paralyzed me, purchasing wise.  I haven't felt this turned off by Warhammer in a long time.  I did not order the skaven book, and will not be ordering anything going forward until I know for certain what the game will be.  I suspect I'm not alone in this regard.  I find the whole situation odd.  I think GW would be well-served by stepping into the void and doing some information control.  

• Like 4

Agree, this is probably why GW has been so tight with release information.  You'll see sales halt if info leaks to early that there's a new edition on the horizon. Then you're stuck with all the old stuff.

I'm on the fence - don't want to buy any new stuff in anticipation of what's coming / feel like finishing my current army up in case the local crowd decides to stick with 8th.  I painted some stuff this weekend as a compromise.

• Like 1

You are not alone at all. There are two camps in the of Fantasy players, one is the folks who do not believe these rumors (I don't blame them either. Rumors always float around and many areuntrue. But these sources are rarely wrong. :sad:), an the other camp are those who are freaked out some and pissed. (Though we are coming to terms with it more now.) The ones who seem to see it as a good thing are 40K players that are not yet invested in an army.

I personally want these rumors to be false but I also can't stop thinking this is happening, mostly becuase Harry has been too dead on too many times. And sorry Harry, hope this one is just bade so I can breath a sigh of relief with everyone else. I will also eat a big bowl of crow gratefully and take these"I told you so" with honor.

Now there is some hope left though. One, we will not stop playing 8th if it does happen. It is a fun edition and in a good place before all this ET stuff. Two, there is a small chance 9th might be like a slightly larger version of Mordheim, which I love. Of course this is a long shot and I will still have to start all over as if it was a new game.

But for now of you feel uncomfortable with what might happen hold off on buying. But don't stop playing, 8th is still here and so are we.

I had to stop purchases as well except Im still building up my Sons lizardmen but we have cut back on expectations there too...also I don't really think any armies will be eliminated.

The upcoming 40k escalation league is starting at a good time, im also looking to my other games like Bolt Action and just ordered a couple more models in Xwing,both games I want to get more into.Plus Starwars Armada is coming soon and that one looks pretty cool!

I just started really getting into the Glottkin story over the weekend and already have the Khaine book ready to go,I will get the Skaven one when its paperback as well.The series is great and even though fantasy is going through some tough changes,I have to hand it to GW as a game company,they really are trying to make it as exciting and interesting a change as possible.

I was in GG yesterday with money to spend, and walked out with nothing. Between the silly high prices, and now the knowledge that it is all going away...I just couldn't justify buying any more Fantasy product. I think if there is stuff I want, I'll just wait for the flood of product that will hit bartertown once the official announcement is made.

GW drove fantasy to where it is now. And now that it isn't selling, they are dumping it. And what do we, the loyal players that kept with it...what do we get? Jack squat. So long and thanks for all the fish....want to buy a new game?

F you GW....F you.

I was in GG yesterday with money to spend, and walked out with nothing. Between the silly high prices, and now the knowledge that it is all going away...I just couldn't justify buying any more Fantasy product. I think if there is stuff I want, I'll just wait for the flood of product that will hit bartertown once the official announcement is made.

GW drove fantasy to where it is now. And now that it isn't selling, they are dumping it. And what do we, the loyal players that kept with it...what do we get? Jack squat. So long and thanks for all the fish....want to buy a new game?

F you GW....F you.

This is why rumors are dangerous and I run the rumor tracker.

GG just lost money because some dude on the internet potentially just made some [big bad swear word] up about how GW is going to change to round bases and destroy fantasy. That's [big bad swear word]ed up.

• Like 1

This is why rumors are dangerous and I run the rumor tracker.

GG just lost money because some dude on the internet potentially just made some [big bad swear word] up about how GW is going to change to round bases and destroy fantasy. That's [big bad swear word]ed up.

But From the leaked WD issue it does show the bell on a Round Base and it has been confirmed on the Europe side to be real.

The rumor about Round Bases might be hurting GW but if it is true, which evidence suggests, than I would rather know now than make GW happy by continuing to buy models that are going to have to be rebased. (And they might just not be in the new game. And honestly that is how I see it, a new game not a new edition.)

Also GW has a chance to step up, like other companies, to squash bad rumors that will hurt their business, but they prefer the silent method leaving a lot of players very confused. So I don't really feel bad for GW even if the rumors turn out to be false. They have a chance to fix this but are not.

So I just downloaded the sample PDF of the latest WD from the iBook store and on page 2 there is the picture with the round bases. It is not a fake.

• Like 1

Just think, if there was no rumor of WFB being dropped, and there was just news of a new Skirmish game, most of us would be stoked. And that is really the crux of it. GW has already invested in all of these books and models...to toss that away just doesn't make sense. They could simply let 8th edition have an extended life, and focus on the new skirmish game. Why make that decision to end WFB? All it is doing is pissing off the player base.

Just come out and say, 8th ed is wrapped up, we don't know when we are going to do 9th. However, not to leave fantasy players hanging, we have developed this new skirmish game where we'll be pushing out small releases for it over time. It is going to be based off of post ET story line. You'll be able to use some of your existing models for it.

That solves all of your PR problems. Doesn't help with inventory issues, but they could reduce stock anyways. I'd rather grumble about waiting than grumble about it being gone for good.

• Like 2

Good point Brother. GW's PR is just nonexistent and that is really too bad. It would solves most of the bad feelings players have against them.

Also Pretre I was going to drop about $250 this winter, when I get my bonus, on Ogres but now that they look to be mostly phased out and shoved into the Empire I am very very glad these rumors dropped when they did. I would have been very upset this spring if it was just dropped on me when 9th hit. (I know I keep repeating this but that is the Crux of it for me. I almost dropped some serious cash into a new army that was going to not be supported anymore.)

I from the sounds of it there were others out there who almost did the same.

Now I can save my money till June and if the Ogres are going to continue to be supported I will make my purchase then with 9th Ed in mind.

Also Pretre I was going to drop about $250 this winter, when I get my bonus, on Ogres but now that they look to be mostly phased out and shoved into the Empire I am very very glad these rumors dropped when they did. I would have been very upset this spring if it was just dropped on me when 9th hit. (I know I keep repeating this but that is the Crux of it for me. I almost dropped some serious cash into a new army that was going to not be supported anymore.)

The problem is that they may not be phased out. You're trusting some dude that you don't know from Adam to inform your decisions. 

I guess we'll see in a couple months when it either does or does not happen.

Also, Re: Round Bases proving it. I don't think it proves anything. Just as 32mm didn't prove that 40k had to rebase everything (which was found to be untrue).

The problem is that they may not be phased out. You're trusting some dude that you don't know from Adam to inform your decisions.

I guess we'll see in a couple months when it either does or does not happen.

Also, Re: Round Bases proving it. I don't think it proves anything. Just as 32mm didn't prove that 40k had to rebase everything (which was found to be untrue).

Nothing is set in stone yet, but just like Climate Change something is happening and I am going to hold off for now. And in June if it all turns out to be wrong we all breath easier and I will then make my purchase. Waiting to spend money and invest is not a bad thing, some consider it to be smart.
  • Like 1

Well, I just shelled out 80 bucks for the new end times book, and I have no regrets. 

We can choose to play the game whichever way we want.  If GW no longer supports warhammer in it's current form that doesn't stop us from playing it, or the game from evolving.  There are already a ton of 3rd party armies (dogs of war, norsemen, amazons, etc.) and they are likely to continue until the people writing and updating them lose interest.  9th edition might even encourage more of this type of informal support.  Hell, if the rules seemed fair I'd play against somebody's army if they made up the book themselves!

I am not necessarily happy to see my 4 armies worth of models possibly invalidated, but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up on them.  GW makes new rules, but I choose the way that I will play.

Also, maybe 9th will be fun.  Who knows?  

• Like 4

That's a horrible analogy.

Rereading it I agree, but let's say you want to buy a car and some guy that deals in cars says that that car might be recalled in a couple of months and a new model will be coming out.

Do you buy the car now or wait a couple of months to see if it is recalled?

And in Stock Markets bad rumors can make stocks plummet but it is still a bad idea to not listen to the rumors and investigate it yourself.

So that is what I am doing, waiting and investigating. And Pretre I am not saying you are wrong, you could be dead on, but that is just it, we don't know either way so why take chances.

Of course I am still building my Dark Elf army that is nearly finished becuase I still plan to play it weather it be 8th or 9th. But I don't want to invest into anything else till I know. I want to make an educated decision when there is more info.

Rereading it I agree, but let's say you want to buy a car and some guy that deals in cars says that that car might be recalled in a couple of months and a new model will be coming out.

Do you buy the car now or wait a couple of months to see if it is recalled?

And in Stock Markets bad rumors can make stocks plummet but it is still a bad idea to not listen to the rumors and investigate it yourself.

So that is what I am doing, waiting and investigating. And Pretre I am not saying you are wrong, you could be dead on, but that is just it, we don't know either way so why take chances.

Of course I am still building my Dark Elf army that is nearly finished becuase I still plan to play it weather it be 8th or 9th. But I don't want to invest into anything else till I know. I want to make an educated decision when there is more info.

We're not talking about some car salesman. In this additional bad analogy, you're talking about some dude that you've never met and you have no idea of what he does for a job or who he is, but he passes you on the street and tells you that you shouldn't buy a GMC because they are being recalled. 

Sure, he might be dead on, but how the heck do you know?

From an anonymous source of pretre:

"My source says you shouldn't drink any of the water in the portland metro for at least a week. Buy bottled. Also, don't use the 205 bridge. I heard it was dangerously under repaired."

Man, I know he's just my anonymous source, but I shouldn't take any chances. I'll be buying bottle water and taking the 5 bridge for a while.

I have horrible analogies too. :)

From an anonymous source of pretre:

"My source says you shouldn't drink any of the water in the portland metro for at least a week. Buy bottled. Also, don't use the 205 bridge. I heard it was dangerously under repaired."

Man, I know he's just my anonymous source, but I shouldn't take any chances. I'll be buying bottle water and taking the 5 bridge for a while.

I have horrible analogies too. :)

But that is why you do your own research. I did that last spring when the Portland Water had a couple samples show signs of Echoli. I researched when it was found, what strain it was and what they were doing to fix it. After a few searches and a phone call I found out what was going on and realized there was no serious threat. But until then I didn't drink the water unless I boiled it.

Mind you I aced Microbio something serious, but it still stands, do your own research has always been my thing.

So what research are you doing on this? 'Wait until June?'

Nope, first we might get some big clues this weekend with the releases. (Clues, not answers.) First will be the storyline. If the Lizardmen hop in their ships and head to another part of the world then we can assume that they will stick around and that rumor was false. Now if they hop into their ships driven by Exodus Engines and leave the planet into space then I wouldn't put my money on them sticking around in 9th on a large level. 

Second will be the models. If they come with one base that is square then they will be following the same pattern as before. This doesn't prove anything either way. Now if there are two bases in any of the boxes, one round one square, then we can predict that 9th will be going to round bases. 

After that there will be White Dwarfs and then in March we will have End Times V, the supposed last ET book for now. If in this book the Dwarves and Ogres get destroyed and their homes are no more than it is likely the rumor about them being folded into Empire very well might be true.

Aside from that we will be hearing more info about 9th as it gets closer, some way off and some maybe right on. But until GW makes an official announcement or 9th drops there are no 100% answers, just educated guesses. 

(On a side Pretre, I respect your thoughts here and appreciate you at least letting me explaining myself. Understand I am only having a friendly debate and do not hold anything you said here against you. I have seen your point awhile ago and you are right, don't believe everything you heard and don't live your life worried about the unknown. Just in this case I want to play it safe and not do anything I might regret, or at least regret anymore than I do now.)

• Like 1

On a side Pretre, I respect your thoughts here and appreciate you at least letting me explaining myself. Understand I am only having a friendly debate and do not hold anything you said here against you. I have seen your point awhile ago and you are right, don't believe everything you heard and don't live your life worried about the unknown. Just in this case I want to play it safe and not do anything I might regret, or at least regret anymore than I do now.)

Nothing is friendly in these forums.  This has been proven many times.

• Like 1