Winning Best Painted with a commissioned army

KAPcom

Hmmmm should a Professional really compete against amateurs...hhmmmm? Just kidding unlike some professions there is no real set standards to qualify as professional. So you could be a professional paint and still  suck.

I could be wrong, but isn't what makes them professional solely based on them getting paid to do it? The quality level isn't really reflected by the person being professional. Like the difference between a murderer and an assassin.

If I had more money, I'd have Aventine or someone like him paint all my stuff.  I *HATE* painting.  

To the main point, the award for Best Painted should go to the Army, not the person.  I don't think there's a real-life comparison with someone else playing a tournament game for someone.  That doesn't even make sense.  The only way I could see that happening is if someone was late and had a buddy step in and play for them for a game or something.  Even then though?  I just don't see this as a real world example.  

As winterman said, people who get commissioned armies and win awards with them are comparable to car enthusiasts who have the same thing happen.  

Put another way, if JMGraham put one of his armies that won best painted previously up for sale, and I bought it, I could STILL say I own an army that won Best Painted.  I just don't see the issue, honestly.  

• Like 1

The main problem I see is that if I go to a tournament with an army I painted on my own, and someone takes best painted and didn't do a single brush stroke on their army I feel jipped. 

I feel like its a point of pride really. You arent gonna say you won if someone else played for you, its why no one likes to take coaching mid-game (I mean baring a teaching/training game)

If I had more money, I'd have Aventine or someone like him paint all my stuff.  I *HATE* painting.  

To the main point, the award for Best Painted should go to the Army, not the person.  I don't think there's a real-life comparison with someone else playing a tournament game for someone.  That doesn't even make sense.  The only way I could see that happening is if someone was late and had a buddy step in and play for them for a game or something.  Even then though?  I just don't see this as a real world example.  .  

Well, the best way to afford to commission an army is to stop buying paints...I do often wonder if all the expense related to making my models look awesome, would be better spent just paying someone else to paint them. It would certainly be cleaner.

If the award goes to the army, does the owner get a prize? Or are we just adding purity seals to the models...?

As for getting other players to win for you, that one can be done two ways. First is to front a buddy the entry fee for an event with understand that any prizes won belong to the person that paid admission. Second would be to loan an army to a player so that in winning with it, it increases in resale value. In both cases, you would need a very good player. Not really different from race sponsors.

Wow, I had no idea this was such a hot button topic. For clarification, best painted was won by a commission army at a recent gt (and rightfully so, the army was gorgeous), which came with some prize support. The event was using the ITC rules format, which makes no distinction between a player painted army and a commissioned army, so no one was in the wrong. It's interesting to see the varying options everyone has on the subject.

Wow, I had no idea this was such a hot button topic. For clarification, best painted was won by a commission army at a recent gt (and rightfully so, the army was gorgeous), which came with some prize support. The event was using the ITC rules format, which makes no distinction between a player painted army and a commissioned army, so no one was in the wrong. It's interesting to see the varying options everyone has on the subject.

Then I would have no problem with it.

• Like 1

Hmmmm should a Professional really compete against amateurs...hhmmmm? Just kidding unlike some professions there is no real set standards to qualify as professional. So you could be a professional painter and still suck.

I am thinking of going with a pro-painted Gorger army for the next tournament. I practically have it in the bag. For an early look at my pro-painted soon to be best-painted army award win, have a look at the current "It Still Cracks me Up" thread. Writhe in jealousy, mere mortals. When I have that in hand, for you to win a painting competition will be amazing, for me it will be Tuesday

• Like 2

I am thinking of going with a pro-painted Gorger army for the next tournament. I practically have it in the bag. For an early look at my pro-painted soon to be best-painted army award win, have a look at the current "It Still Cracks me Up" thread. Writhe in jealousy, mere mortals. When I have that in hand, for you to win a painting competition will be amazing, for me it will be Tuesday

OooKkkk DarthBison lol

There's a difference between a well-painted army and an army painted by a professional. I cannot match a professional's technique.

And I can't match the technique of a quality amateur painter like some of our forum regulars here, but that doesn't mean they deserve to win any less. "I can't personally win this prize" is not a reason for a prize not to exist.

The equivalency to me is signing up for a tourney, then paying a much more accomplished player to play your games for you, then claiming award/prize at the end.

So if I go to a tournament, play all the way through the rounds, win the whole thing, and hand the prize I won to my buddy, you would be just as angry about it? Really? Because I kind of doubt you would.

Is all of this over MLs white scars?

No, one of the Frontline guys won Best Painted at TSHFT with an army he commissioned through their painting service. I don't think KAP is even all that angry about it, but apparently some other folks are.

• Like 1

No, one of the Frontline guys won Best Painted at TSHFT with an army he commissioned through their painting service. I don't think KAP is even all that angry about it, but apparently some other folks are.

I'm not angry at anyone, just curious to see what other's opinions on the matter were. :)

So the event prize was Best Army.

That means Best Army.

Not best painted, not comp, not the owner, not best non commission...

It [big bad swear word]ing means Best Army.

Whatever that means is up to you and your vote. Just because you don't like the majority vote or how those people vote doesn't mean [big bad swear word].

The ITC does Best Army so they don't have to deal with people bitching all the time about who painted what and what judge gave what points for highlighting, etc.

Its a Best Army vote, and that is 100% subjective and a personal choice.