Winning Best Painted with a commissioned army

KAPcom

Huh? I don't get your point.

I was referring to your post earlier:

The equivalency to me is signing up for a tourney, then paying a much more accomplished player to play your games for you, then claiming award/prize at the end.

In both cases one person is the one doing the nominal "work" and another one is receiving the reward for that work. Do you really care who the second person is, so long as the first person consents to the exchange? If I pay someone for their painting services- or, yes, their playing services, or any other services- the implicit assumption is that any future consequences or benefits of the thing I purchased are transferred to me by consent of the seller.

Maybe you don't like people who pay for painting; personally, even though I am a slow and rather mediocre and rather lazy painter, I prefer to paint my own models, in part because I like the ability to with them exactly what I please. But then again, I also like converting my own unique models rather than using stock-standard ones; that doesn't mean I begrudge people who choose to do differently their decision just because it's not the decision I would make.

• Like 1

I finally won a Best Painted award for 40K.  It's taken me ten years to get good enough to even be considered and i did the job myself. That was probably my favorite of all the things Ive won.  I wouldnt have beamed and felt as proud if it had been pro painted.

I have no problem at all when people get their armies pro painted though.  I plan to get one done, even though I feel Ive come a long way.  For me its a simple function of time  I don't have enough time for both painting and practicing and I own to many forces to rely on my own time.  So I either get some help or I start shedding armies.

I was referring to your post earlier:

In both cases one person is the one doing the nominal "work" and another one is receiving the reward for that work. Do you really care who the second person is, so long as the first person consents to the exchange? If I pay someone for their painting services- or, yes, their playing services, or any other services- the implicit assumption is that any future consequences or benefits of the thing I purchased are transferred to me by consent of the seller.

Maybe you don't like people who pay for painting; personally, even though I am a slow and rather mediocre and rather lazy painter, I prefer to paint my own models, in part because I like the ability to with them exactly what I please. But then again, I also like converting my own unique models rather than using stock-standard ones; that doesn't mean I begrudge people who choose to do differently their decision just because it's not the decision I would make.

I'm all for commissioned painting.  I'm not for winning an award for something someone else did.  The example of  giving your award to a buddy after you won it is, to me anyway, different then paying someone to play your games for you, then you collecting the reward.  It's the "pay to play/win" aspect that I don't like.

When I see the "Best Painted" award as a title I assume that the qualifications mean you must have painted the army yourself.  Admittedly I don't participate in big tournaments anymore, so my assumptions must be biased. 

That's my opinion anyway, a strong one, but still just an opinion. 

Disagree - you're essentially paying to win.  Just because I (theoretically) have the money to buy a pro-painted army is a slap to the face to those who have humbler means and pour their heart / soul / talent into their army.  I'm not doing anything other than writing a check.

Seems like a challenge to learn to paint better.

Don't know what you're trying to say Pax

As an aspiring artist, when I see something done much better, it presents a challenge to overcome. A player that uses their cash to commission an army that is more stunning than mine is merely providing me with a new challenge - one I'd likely miss if they didn't commission it.

I have endless fields of plastic and pewter for anyone with the skill, dexterity, patience and even GIVEN the patience, for those w enough time. But those people are rare. So I think that begrudging a guy his living as a mini painter makes no sense in a market full of need. And I think that money is just a measue of time spent in worthwhile pursuits and converted into: skill youll never have, dexterity youll never posess, patience you werent born with and time you cant afford.