Winning Best Painted with a commissioned army

KAPcom

On a side note, should airbrushed armies really be in the same award category as brush-painted armies? they are very different in terms of what constitutes a difficult paint job,.

You ever tried to airbrush? It's a tool just like a brush, both take time and patience to learn, both have their strengths and weaknesses. Often when people call airbrushing easy it's because they've never tried it;)

• Like 4

You ever tried to airbrush? It's a tool just like a brush, both take time and patience to learn, both have their strengths and weaknesses. Often when people call airbrushing easy it's because they've never tried it;)

You may have misread me. I agree that both require skill.

I think that hand painting should be rated for it's strengths and weaknesses separately from the rating for strengths and weaknesses on airbrushed models. They are not the same skill set.

It's like comparing watercolor to oil painting. They are different skills.

Well this subject has been pretty hashed out but I'll throw out my opinion. I think that "best painted" is best painted and basing should be a factor. If the person commissioned it or painted it them selves doesn't factor into it. Did that person you played with a really cool looking commissioned army add to the enjoyment and imagery of the game? That is the main factor in my mind. I like the player vote idea and agree with von hammer. Personally I don't think it is as cool or personal of an army if you didn't paint it yourself, but that's just my thought.

I usually use the term 'Best Appearance' at events I run.  We use a rubric that takes it all into account, although its weighted more toward painting.  Pretty standard at most of the big national events also.  But still sometimes call it best painted conversationally.  Its just one of those things.  Granually awarding for paint vs conversion etc is cool and some events do that (NoVa Open did at one time for example) but its not that common.

Just leave Best Painted to the vote of the people like TSHFT did. If you don't think a commissioned army should win, don't vote for it. Keep it simple. 

As much as I think a vote from peers is an ideal way to award a nice looking army, it is also easy to rig (preference or collusion amongst team/club/buddy), manipulate (placement of your army at the event has a huge effect, for example), etc. And I don't necessarily mean in a malicious way -- even subconsciously or unintentionally these happen.

There is also the argument that someone who only saw a couple armies has equal weight to someone who looked at every single one.  Or that unqualified people are not only involved in determining the award but have equal weight to someone who knows appearance well.  Judged appearance can be done such that it doesn't have these issues, voted on appearance is impossible to mitigate these.

At our events Favorite Army is a nice little in store credit award and a tie breaker for Best appearance, but is not used in actual scoring of overall, best in faction, etc.  Still has all the problems I mention above, but doesn't have as much of an effect.

• Like 1