Alternatives to painting altogether?

I have thought about this myself. What if you just painted the entire model one color and then gave it a wash/shade. Either metallic or stone in color. It would end up looking like a statue and would be really quick to pull off. If you wanted to do it real down and dirt use a colored primer and follow up with quick shade from Army Painter.

Was thinking more along the lines of wood or metal sculpture. Cloth or paper too. Seems like, with a mixed medium, you could make some really cool models/minitatures that didn't really need any paint, but still adhered to the 3 color requirements of most events.

But that brings up the issue of WYSIWYG

I didn't mean the finished product would look dramatically different. To be fair, though, with the sheer number of counts as armies being permitted, WYSIWYG has a much more limited enforcement.

Build model.

Prime white.

Dip in light green or blue wash.

Ghost army, done!

Fully painted in 20 minutes and forged a narrative, double win.

Edit+ Drybrush an off white, now it's three color minimum compliant+

Yeah, that isn't what I'm talking about. That is just painting.

edit+

I missed the point of the thread the first time. I hear where you're coming from but I gotta ask, why?

;)

I'm an artist, but not just a painter. 40k uses, at most, 3 skills with model creation. Conversion is basically collage, then painting, and clay sculpture (putty work). I'm interested in expanding my hobby to include more skills.

One of the ones that comes to mind is working with gold leaf (gilding?) for some of the models. Another is wood and stains. Metal sculpture and then using chemicals/heat to achieve various oxidation effects does have an interesting appeal, too.