warhammer 40k triathlon… thoughts

Torg

OK - I am thinking about something kinda crazy - a 40k themed Triathlon.  Something like BFG / EPIC / KILL TEAM… or something with that sorta mix in scale.  Could include apoc… or 40k… Necromunca --- or zone mortalis or something.  Anyhow - over 3 days ( thinking OFCC event).  Not sure - but I am intrigued about the idea.  I have played and have armies for most of the games.  

The idea being - all scores from different games.  

It was that or somehow connecting the different games …which could still be possible as a narrative.  

Thoughts?  discuss?  

-d

Food for thought.  (Just thinking off the cuff...)

In equestrian three-day eventing the idea is to demonstrate the fitness and training of the horse first (dressage), then to compete head-to-head on a grueling, unforgiving course (cross country) and then to again demonstrate his fitness in a more extreme but more forgiving course (show jumping).

I can't really equate this well to the various options available but it might be amusing to set up something similar for the generals...  Day 1 could be a series of "challenges" against a fixed list (i.e. everyone has to stop the same orc waugh run fairly impartially by the same set of rules like always charging the nearest targets or something).  Then do a day of head-to-head battles against opponents with objectives and more "normal" scenarios.  Then do a day (perhaps in something like Necromunda) with bonuses based on performance the day before in the head-to-head.

hmmm see I  like brainstorming :)

-- I was thinking possibly a narrative - BFG to break into orbit…and land your forces…. (if a larger team or theme feel - then all players decided into "good" v "not so good".)  Next day - Epic…  battle across the wastelands to the city… or structure… delivering your team of crack elite for the final stand-off.  Last day… Kill-teams… in catacombs… or city tables…something like that.

Key to it all for me is that all three days events - your army - your fleet - your kill team… are from the same faction.  My ghost fleet or Eldar Corsair fleet… my eldar in epic… and my eldar crack kill team.  something like that.  Not sure…but its an idea.

-d

So combining the two ideas, just to make sure my idea is clear....

Rather than playing BFG against an opponent's fleet, you play BFG against a pre-defined force that is the "static defense" around the planet.  The scenario(s) is(are) simple enough that you can alternate with one player bringing his force while the another plays the static defense according to specific rules (to eliminate the variability of facing different opponents).

The second day is Epic with players fighting one another, possibly multiple battles with different scenarios, to reach specific destinations...  Maybe to get special gear.  Maybe to upgrade troops a la gaining experience.  You might actually modify conditions based on performance in day one...  Delayed deployment, missing units, extra or missing gear, etc.

Then the third day is the Kill-team scenario with a list you defined at the beginning of the tournament and upgrades (or penalties) based on your performance in day two.

Depending on the feel and the lore you want you can either split into good and not-so-good or you can just say that there's no love lost between any of the factions as they vie for whatever really cool thing lies at the end of the road.

hmmm sounds interesting Duckman… but depending on how many participants … thats quite a bit of "static defense" that would have to be built and supplied for each table.  I like the idea… just wondering how logistically it would have to work.  

I have started to look at the 2-3 day narrative events for inspiration … to do the triathlon.  Most that I have looked into break the participants into factions at the get go.  After that the factions are allowed to plan out their attacks… and defenses.  This may be a way to make it work… still doing some research.  At this point I would think participation would be limited to the idea… so with good pre-planning a narrative campaign could work maybe.

-d

You could stick to one model range and still make it work. A big 40k game, main forces assaulting the base of a hive. A Zone Mortalis game, a strike force inserted into the catacombs too make a beachhead. A kill teams game, a small band tries to place charges on the support pillars of the main gate.

Something like that, just spit-balling;)

I like the idea, but I've never actually had a collection that would have let me participate. I only had Imperials for Epic and only Chaos for BFG.

That said, I think I'd switch up the second and third rounds. BFG first, to see who can land their troops in the best locations; Kill Team next, as the various forces send out recon and special ops teams to prepare the way; and then Epic last, as the $#!^ finally hits the fan and everyone goes all-in for final victory.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Love this idea and I think you would get the participants if no one had to get a new game system.

Day 1+2 lead to regular 40k 2k. Each win nets you a one time perk you can use in the final games. You could also just play this in one day.

Day one zone mortalis, Micro battle on fleet, winner gets either benefits of com relay or a orbital bombardment str 6 ap4 large blast ordnance in reserve, so have to roll until it is available from reserve.

Day 2 kill team trying to control the caves, winner gets to give one nonvehicle unit outflank or one unit can deepstrike with only a d6 deviation.

Each win nets you a chit to use.