Scotty's Escalation League Blog

scottshoemaker

I showed up for the 1/12 league night and was very pleased to see about double the usual turnout.  Super great! Lots of new faces too!  Bronson's getting folks rollin and games are starting.  I scarf a slice of pizza and eventually set up a game with Kris and her Dark Eldar

We played on a 4x4 urban table.  She brought a solid force of 3 raiders, two units of warriors and wyches, 2 venoms with trueborn (?), and archon with some meatshields.  I brought my evil sunz with a warboss, a weirdboy, 2 units of slugga boyz in trukks, a unit of rocket buggies, some bikers, a battlewagon with shootaboyz, and a trukkload of tankbustas.

The game went well for me at the beginning and by turn 3 I was fairly confident of my position.  I focused on stopping her mobility and was doing ok, but she still had enough mobility to concentrate her fire and smear out units.  My lack of anykind or armor save on the boys became telling against her sheer volume of fire.  Great placement of her units to gain solid crossfire ate me alive, plus the Archon munched a pretty big unit of boyz for lunch.  Eventually my quantity over quality plan went sideways and she quite successfully mopped my, tableing the poor greenskins.  A great game with some super fun action.

Thanks for the game Kris, hope to see ya Tuesday!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Week 2 was against Chappy and his Grey Knights.  He was running with 15 terminators, a Term Librarian, an Evesor Assassin and a Dreadknight.  I was runnin with trukk boys, shoota boyz in a Wagon, bikers, buggies and tankbustas.  I really wasn't aggressive enough and should have gotten in his face sooner.  I did manage to pull down his Dreadknight in melee though.  Thestar of the game though was the Assassin who survived over 200 shots from various shooting, mostly shootas and rockets.  Damn 4++...

Still a super fun game with wacky crap happening.  Thanks Chap!

I shake my green fist at "Da Shiny Boyz" 

• Like 2

Week 3 was against Burk and his "Ad Mech" marines.  I think my setup was alright but I got distracted by a small unit of bikes with melta on one flank and committed the sin of losing focus on my assault.  I would have been much better off keeping my line and crashing into him in assault.  Instead I dumped fire into a few targets hoping to get lucky rather than playing to my strengths.  I got too afraid of the Vindicator and whirlwind, I keep forgetting the safest place for me is in assault.  The lack in invulnerable saves is telling, but I need to work around that.  Ultimately Burk won by 1 point, Linebreaker, so I got that goin for me.

Thanks for the game Burk!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

After missing last week I was able to make it to the 2/10 league night.  I set up a game with evil_bryan and his plague marines.  We played the ITC mission as instructed and I began feeding my orks to the meat grinder.  I simply got lucky each turn as all I needed to do was more or less either kill something, or stay on the objective I already held.  I was able to pop rhinos (no suprise) and take care of the plague marines with overwhelming numbers.  The 10 Tankbustas in a trukk were my allstars though, hitting more often than they should have and surviving multiple flamings by the heldrake in the trukk.  My single best tactic of the game was having Bryan roll dice.  Multiple perils rolls successfully killed off his sorcerer, and a general bout of abysmal rolling on his part did more to help me then any kunnin plan on my part.  I eventually won, but it was close.

Thanks Bryan!

• 2 weeks later...

This last week was with Raze, he brought his (Mostly) Nurgle Daemon Prince force, and I brought my orks.  We had pretty much determined it would a face beating by both sides, and knowing that my boys would be a "slight" disadvantage in melee  I decided to concentrate on grabbing objectives and sacrificing units when I had to.  The boys did fairly well in melee, by that I mean they didn't run away after various combats, sometimes even managing to score a wound!  The nobz and warbass really did the trick though, the power klaw is a must have to couse some worry.  I need to remember the Lucky Stikk on the boss though...

The single best performance for the boys though was when the Tankbustas got a great round of shooting and managed to shoot the Bloodthirster out of the air.  Woot!  Kind of clutch as he about to roll into the back line of battlewagon boys and wreck house.  Raze did well snagging objectives with his great mobility, and his summoning was good to to capture objectives with great scatter rolls, even if one of them dropped into a perfect fire lane...

We only got 31/2 turns in due to a hard stop time for me, so we totaled 3 turns worth of objectives and resolved a tie. 

A super fun game.  Thanks Raze!

• Like 1