Guardian Cup 8 - The Ocho - May 23rd-24th

CaptainA

Is there a link to the new faq stating this? I was building my list around the bao and lvo rules so did they get changed accordingly?

https://www.frontlinegaming.org/community/frontline-gamings-independent-tournament-circuit/itc-2015-season-40k-tournament-format/

Considering the CTA change is already there, I imagine the ranged D change will be soon forthcoming.

https://www.frontlinegaming.org/2015/03/30/itc-2015-season-policy-guideline-poll-results/

So I don't see anything stating no strength d. Now that effectively eliminates every eldar lord of war because of that. Is there any particular reason that they made this change because the model I bought specifically to use at the guardian cup has now become a paper weight for my model closet. Unless you're now allowing the sonic Lance to be used in response to the no strength d.

So I don't see anything stating no strength d. Now that effectively eliminates every eldar lord of war because of that. Is there any particular reason that they made this change because the model I bought specifically to use at the guardian cup has now become a paper weight for my model closet. Unless you're now allowing the sonic Lance to be used in response to the no strength d.

What model were you planning on using?

Can tos not change rules in the format if you wish to use the itc format. I'm kinda pissed about the change there because I don't feel like the lynx was scary to begin with because he has such weak armour and has the ability to kill maybe if he's lucky one unit a turn. I can understand like a whole bunch of d weapons but now knights again get to dominate the tournament scene and be in every army list some how. Yay for imperial armies and their were not lords of war but we're just as good models..

Can tos not change rules in the format if you wish to use the itc format. I'm kinda pissed about the change there because I don't feel like the lynx was scary to begin with because he has such weak armour and has the ability to kill maybe if he's lucky one unit a turn. I can understand like a whole bunch of d weapons but now knights again get to dominate the tournament scene and be in every army list some how. Yay for imperial armies and their were not lords of war but we're just as good models..

One thing to keep in mind is that we are actually at the beginning of the ITC tournament series. The LVO, held in February, was the end of the 2014-2015 season. Reece from Frontline puts forth a survey/poll after the end of the season and players vote to help shape how the main ITC events play. Local TO's like myself have the option to  use any changes the main events use (BAO, LVO, WargamesCon) or not. I choose to use the changes as I feel it helps make a cohesive tournament experience.

Sorry if the changes frustrate you, they changed at about the same time last year and may continue to change as Frotline tries to make it the best tournament experience possible for everyone. Most players were using the Lynx on a skyshield with fortune making it very difficult to take down.

Around here though I never see any d weapon spam so I guess I just don't understand why changes like this are made. I understand that it makes the game moRe enjoyable But to the extreme of every eldar lord of war is null and void it's just like what's the point of being the alien in the imperial vs alien world

So I don't play eldar that much I just started adding them to my dark eldar and from the abundance of knights coming to the table I felt a ranged d weapon would be the best way to help midigate the knights in my opinion knights and every super heavy along with them Should be banned. All the lords of war I own are viewed as to op ftournament play and that honestly pisses me off. I bought my guardian cup ticket under the assumption that the current rule set would be used and then the new one comes out and kinda just messes everything up. I understand that the tournaments change and new rules are implemented to help make competitive 40k more "balanced" (which to me is laughable cause it's not balanced) But anyways I suppose I don't pick my lists around the top tier armies and everything I just buy models I think would be cool to own and be fun to play I see why some of the lords of war are op and could be a real pain to fight against but I feel satisfied that my one lord of war can counter the adamentium lance formation and I can still play to the mission and not be ran over by the knight player. And if anyone says knights are easy to beat and you can still play against every other list besides knights with this one list please tell me what it is because I haven't found a way to fight knights and still have a good game without being a dick player with cheese armies.

And I'm sure eldar can fill that void. But my gripe is the model was purchased thinking it's ok to use for the tournament I didn't expect that 7 weeks before the tournament the rules would change and kinda scrap the list I had built and been practicing with. That's the infuriating part to me. I don't like the guys who use deamon summoning as a tactic and wave serpent spam.

Well in this case it seems to me that they made a general decision to keep with the ITC and that just so happened to mean that it was not allowed.  Take heart in that it wasn't a decision made directly in regards to your list, nor you.  It was the considered opinion of a lot of gamers that were polled.  

This is a case of really bad timing, and I definitely feel for you if you bought it just for this tournament, though to be honest, its hard to imagine anyone buying a model for JUST one tournament so you will get to use your toy outside of it I am sure.  It sounds like you already have gotten games in with it.  =)

Yea but the people I play with don't really like me being the guy to use it. And I haven't actually got a game with it. And I don't take it personally it's just like wtf. I bought it for the tournament to have a counter to those damn knights. And then for the few times when knight armies get brought to my flgs.

And I'm sure eldar can fill that void. But my gripe is the model was purchased thinking it's ok to use for the tournament I didn't expect that 7 weeks before the tournament the rules would change and kinda scrap the list I had built and been practicing with. That's the infuriating part to me. I don't like the guys who use deamon summoning as a tactic and wave serpent spam.

I agree 1 is fine 3 is what I tend to see though and seeing as I've only ever seen 2 models with d weapons at range being used here in Vancouver I don't understand what the big scare is. they at least made then save able unless there's a 6. I would be fine with the change had it been a prominent thing here in Vancouver Washington but out of all the players I've met I've never seen ranged d but i do see alot of knights and knights irritate me when I have to build to counter them. I don't have enough money to afford the best counters to then so I have to work with what I have and the lynx is what I have.

I am sorry you are not getting to play with the Lynx. But I am very glad that unit will not be in the game anymore. With 2 Large blast D templates that rarely miss. I don't know if you where running it on a landing pad or not. That made it almost impossible for some armies to kill it. 

As for eldar being able to handle IK's. I'd love to have the option that book has for doing it. Eldar have been winning tournaments without the Lynx for a long time now. 3 IK are hard I agree but that codex has the tools to do it in many different ways.

As for what's the big scare of ranged D weapons. Have you played VS. it??? Every time I have played VS. it I have had my most powerful units // models kill with no option to fight it. It is no fun to put model on the table and then have to take them right off no mater how good of a defiance I had set up... having large %'s of your army die every turn is no fun. Eldar already kills my army  at range, they don't need twin linked large blast D as well to make it faster.

I do understand the frustration with Adlance formation. It is a big threat to my army as well. At lest you have a lot of option with melta and ap 1, 2 weapons. Eldar are fast and very mobile You can easily out maneuver  IK's for objectives and last min grabs at the end of games. Try Fighting them without Melta and Ap1,2 weapons like I have to do.

You will do fine VS even 3 IK with eldar. Just play to the armies strengths. Really Eldar have very few if any bad units.

Ap2 hellstorm? Really? What game are you playing?

I'm sorry that you're not going to get to play with your model, I know that sucks. But I very much am not sorry that it's gone. The Lynx on a landing pad was just about unkillable, and it gets to delete a target a turn. The Lance is a pain, but at least they have to get to CC to throw D around. I mean, come on. If you're playing Eldar, and you can't stay out of CC with stuff, then the problem is in the mirror.

Ok I don't have a whole lot of eldar. I am doing dark eldar with eldar allies I don't own fire dragons and I couldn't do wysiwyg with enough trueborn or scourges to really get the good counter. I have alot of raiders and venoms and 4 hornets but the lynx was the model that made up alot of points. Like I said in Vancouver almost nobody uses ranged d weapons. I don't own a skyshield so I don't know what the broken combo is there. And IApologize if I seems like I'm complaining about this I just got irritated seeing the change.

Hey Derek!

The ITC format voting poll just went up. I am using full ITC format so no ranged Strength D.

Just to be clear about this whole topic (and not to be a dick).

You, Derek, asked on 3/25/2015 if you could bring the Lynx. CaptainA responded on Mar 31st that you could not.

Unless you ran out and bought it before getting an answer from the event organizer, I'm not sure how CaptainA could have been more transparent here.

It isn't like you asked 3 months ago, purchased, painted, etc. a lynx and CaptainA changed his mind.