Guardian Cup 8 - The Ocho - May 23rd-24th

CaptainA

Just sent off registration fee, do I need to do anything else?

Also is there a recommendation for hotels? I saw the list on the website, but wasn't sure where most people were staying.

Thought it would be more fun to be at a place where most of the other players are going to be lodging.

I have an additional question regarding formations and detachments.
I've never really been super clear on detachments, but I don't want to show up with an army I can't use.
I play Tyranids by the way...

Does a formation count as a detachment? Or does a formation become part of the CAD?
For example, if I take the Skytyrant Swarm Formation, can the Hive tyrant from that formation be the Warlord of my Primary Detachment?

At which point I could choose to take a second allied detachment? Would I be able to add another formation in, like the manufactorum genestealer formation? Can you have two formations in one single detachment?

I've never really been super clear on detachments, but I don't want to show up with an army I can't use.

Does a formation count as a detachment? Or does a formation become part of the CAD?
For example, if I take the Skytyrant Swarm Formation, can the Hive tyrant from that formation be the Warlord of my Primary Detachment?

At which point I could choose to take a second allied detachment? Would I be able to add another formation in, like the manufactorum genestealer formation? Can you have two formations in one single detachment?

Page 121 top right sidebar, main rulebook.  This keeps coming up!  Formations are just a type of Detachment, self contained as all detachments are.

Thanks LH, I don't use formations much, nor detachments. I'm primarily a Tyranids player and we don't get a whole lot of allies.

Though from what I've seen I'm missing a lot of potential to take additional units with secondary detachments.

Appreciate the heads up.

Looking forward to this Tourney. I haven't been in a few years, but last time I came it was great fun. Looking to book my hotel soon, so if people are staying somewhere centralized, I'd love to know so we can grab some grub and drinks, talk about some great games and maybe meet some new friends.

Pretty much what LH said. Pretty much every "thing" makes up one detachment. A CAD is a detachment, and allied detachement is a detachment, formations are a detachment, and the special lists in the codexes like the nemesis strike force is another detachment. For the ITC, the Combi-Formation style lists (Decurion, Eldar one, etc) count as ONE detachment even though they are made up of many formations. You just can't duplicate any formation in your list.

You could take a CAD Tyranids and the Skytyrant formation and that would be your two detachments. You could count the Tyrant from that formation as your warlord. Your Warlord can't be from an Allied detachment per the BRB however. Shoot me a pm if you have any list questions or just your list and I can double check it for you.

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Daemons are just not going to be ready in time. Very sad about that one.

Yep! Just think of that on a vindicator or the relic scorpion whirlwind!

Yeah, vindicator with ignores cover...

Torn between that one and "Battle of Sarosh."

Battle of Sarosh is the one weapon, once per game, gains Skyfire+interceptor+night vision+tank hunters. Given I'm running DA, I'm pretty light on skyfire weapons.

Battle of Sarosh is actually one involving the DA anyway, so it's fluffy too.

The Battle of Kyelek isn't one that the DA were in, as far as I can tell. Though the vehicle could have been there serving under another chapter.

The one I have been wondering, Can a character/unique vehicle take the legacy?

As far as I can tell, answer is yes, but I have to ask, I think.

Daemons are just not going to be ready in time. Very sad about that one.

Yeah, vindicator with ignores cover...

Torn between that one and "Battle of Sarosh."

Battle of Sarosh is the one weapon, once per game, gains Skyfire+interceptor+night vision+tank hunters. Given I'm running DA, I'm pretty light on skyfire weapons.

Battle of Sarosh is actually one involving the DA anyway, so it's fluffy too.

The Battle of Kyelek isn't one that the DA were in, as far as I can tell. Though the vehicle could have been there serving under another chapter.

The one I have been wondering, Can a character/unique vehicle take the legacy?

As far as I can tell, answer is yes, but I have to ask, I think.

Yeah, as far as I can see in the book you can take it on any vehicle associated with said armies. Curious though if this would work with a character vehicle like sammael in his speeder....

Yeah, as far as I can see in the book you can take it on any vehicle associated with said armies. Curious though if this would work with a character vehicle like sammael in his speeder....

That's exactly what I'm wondering. Sammy's still a lacking model to do it to, but some of those upgrades would be nifty additions to his rules.

On a side note, speeder sammy isn't a legal warlord choice in most games, despite having a fixed warlord trait. Go GW!

Is there still open space for this event?

No clue. Event Registration is still on the site, here: http://www.guardiancup.org/?page_id=16 which is a good sign, but not conclusive. I'll be at GG tonight for their league, so I'll ask for you.

I'm not registered, as I'm not sure how ready my army will be by then. Ideally, I'll register last minute, like last time, but this time I'll be bringing a decent painted, well thought out army with a legitimate chance of winning.

That's exactly what I'm wondering. Sammy's still a lacking model to do it to, but some of those upgrades would be nifty additions to his rules.

On a side note, speeder sammy isn't a legal warlord choice in most games, despite having a fixed warlord trait. Go GW!

Sammy is allowed to take Battle of Keylek, as unlike the CSM versions the Legacies are open to any vehicle.

And yes, Sammy on Speeder is awkward. It's okay, though, because his warlord trait is bad!

SO we have 38 players. Do we know what the army// meta is shaping up is yet?

I may have 2 more people calling up next week. A dark Eldar player and another Tyranid player.

Do we need to turn in a army list before the tournament???

Really hard to say on the meta. There are guys from Portland, Cali, Canada, Seattle, coming from all over.

Turn in lists day of.

Sammy is allowed to take Battle of Keylek, as unlike the CSM versions the Legacies are open to any vehicle.

Verify. Does it apply to Damocles Command Rhino?

It doesn't have a blast weapon per say, but it does have large blasts which fire as weapons in the shooting phase.

We are just about 5 spots left until we are filled up! I am asking that those that want to pay via paypal contact me first so we don't overbook. You can email me at captainaka@hotmail.com. I'm very excited about getting fully booked! If you are waiting, don't! You may not be able to get a spot!

• Like 1

Hey CaptainA, are Wraithknights going to be allowed in the GG cup? They aren't in the list of legal LoWs on the ITC site. Did I miss something, or are they banned? Or are they not GCs/LoWs as rumored?

https://www.frontlinegaming.org/community/frontline-gamings-independent-tournament-circuit/itc-2015-season-40k-tournament-format/

As of right now, the only Wraithknights that are legal are the Suncannon and Ghostglaive options as the ranged D weapons are banned for the ITC. That said, the ITC poll is up as of today and will be sorted out by weeks end. So stay tuned. I will be following all the results for the ITC poll, which includes votes for 3 detachments and CTA allies.