Cauldron Of Blood Base and Horde

I will admit a CoB with a Horde is nothing nice but I can't see any advantage outside of movement to take them in a smaller formation. And considering this is going to be a large walking target for every spell and warmachine out there I see it as a big liability too. But it will also take my opponent's mind off my dragon for a bit too, so it will be a Pick Your Poison choice in the game.

Do you go for the BSB or the General? Both of them you do not want to get into combat with but both will be coming to you quick. (I put the banner of swirtness on the Black Guard.:wink:)

I will admit a CoB with a Horde is nothing nice but I can't see any advantage outside of movement to take them in a smaller formation. And considering this is going to be a large walking target for every spell and warmachine out there I see it as a big liability too. But it will also take my opponent's mind off my dragon for a bit too, so it will be a Pick Your Poison choice in the game.

Do you go for the BSB or the General? Both of them you do not want to get into combat with but both will be coming to you quick. (I put the banner of swirtness on the Black Guard. :wink:)

Don't be soo quick to think they will forget the dragon.  A skilled opponent will just toss redirectors at the CoB unit and target the dragon when they have the opportunity.

Don't be soo quick to think they will forget the dragon.  A skilled opponent will just toss redirectors at the CoB unit and target the dragon when they have the opportunity.

yea... more than likely this will occur.  especially when people LOVE to set up flank cannon shots on your hordes anyways. not like i know anyone that would do such a thing  :rolleyes:

yea... more than likely this will occur. especially when people LOVE to set up flank cannon shots on your hordes anyways. not like i know anyone that would do such a thing :rolleyes:

For everything there is a counter, even your Dwarves. I know this, do you? :smile:

I already know that cannons are my biggest issue but they are also compted hard too. Also that is why I have Dark Riders running past your flankers and into your cannons at the same time I march my forces in too.

I know my list's weakness and don't really need reminding other army's strengths. Also remember this is an OFCC list not a hardcore list so it is designed with weaknesses to be fun to play against too.

I would not run a horde or Dragon if I wanted to go hard core. I would run a MSU hit and run list against a harder event. The Elves' strengths are not in numbers but small elite units striking your vulnerable spots while denying you a good charge and shot. But that is not fun to play against, so I am running something 'different' than the norm. Are you? :wink:

For everything there is a counter, even your Dwarves. I know this, do you? :smile:

I already know that cannons are my biggest issue but they are also compted hard too. Also that is why I have Dark Riders running past your flankers and into your cannons at the same time I march my forces in too.

I know my list's weakness and don't really need reminding other army's strengths. Also remember this is an OFCC list not a hardcore list so it is designed with weaknesses to be fun to play against too.

I would not run a horde or Dragon if I wanted to go hard core. I would run a MSU hit and run list against a harder event. The Elves' strengths are not in numbers but small elite units striking your vulnerable spots while denying you a good charge and shot. But that is not fun to play against, so I am running something 'different' than the norm. Are you? :wink:

Actually, you should fear the template weapons more than the cannon.  I hate to say this, but a unit of 28 models and a CoB or Shrine is a horde and both of those are in competitive lists (some lists have both the CoB and Shrine).  So, yes, they are being used competitively and both are capable of creating great results.

I also hate to say this, but as heavy dark rider user (30 in my normal army) they don't do very many wounds through shooting.  I've also done the dreadlord on a dragon and BSB on a manticore combo, and again, against the right opponent they wreck face.  Just because this is OFCC doesn't mean people are going to play weak games.  It just means they are going to be bringing "softer" lists than normal.  What do you consider a "hit-and-run"?  Those don't exist in fantasy, once you engage with your MSU you better kill what you hit fast or you may be in trouble.  I have had warlocks die to 3 halberdier attacks, boucne off dogs, fail every ward save on turn 1.  Just because it's an elite army doesn't mean it's going to do elite stuff every game.  I have felt the back end of that many times before.

I think you took our two posts out of context.  You first said the CoB would survive because of the dragon.  We both just said that isn't guaranteed against a skilled opponent.

Honestly, going for the BSB or the general depends on the army I am playing.  Am I playing Dwarves (yes this is OFCC but I have a 14 comped Dwarf army with 4 war machines)?  I go for both.  I put the organ gun and cannon on the general and the grudge thrower and the flame cannon on the horde.  It's going to take you at least 2 turns to get into position with both units.  The flip side of this equation is who has first turn?  If you do, then your opponent has one less round of shooting before combat hits.  If you are going second, that's an extra round of shooting for your opponent.

I get it, this is an OFCC event, but after the number of monsters and hordes I saw last year, if I were attending, I would have much more shooting for this year.

If you are able to take Kouran, I would suggest adding him to your army.  I take it you are going to invest a heavy number of points in Black Guard and Kouran would fit the theme.  He is also very tough to beat in combat with models who only have a 4+ or worse armour save, due to his special rule from his armour.  He's not cheap either and your black guard are going to die by the handful to shooting.  On the plus side, they will have a 6++.  How are you planning on equipping your Death Hag?

• 3 weeks later...