Help me build a Blood Angel force

AgentP

I bought the Deathstorm box for the Nids, so I came into possession of a small batch of Blood Angels.  I also have some misc marine stuff laying around in boxes, from years in this hobby.  So for lack of a better option, I'll make Blood Angels my third army, after Nids and Tau.  I'll mostly trade to complete the figures I need, but I can buy a couple as needed.  But I need some help building a force.  I have no desire to collect zillions of pieces, I just want a viable force of around 2000 pts.  My requirements:  

(1) Mobile.  I play Maelstrom missions, so mobility to objectives is key

(2) Land Raider and Stormraven Assault.  None of my other armies have assault vehicles, Blood Angels have two, the flyer and the land raider.  So for variety, I want to utilize those.  

(3) Deathstorm:  Must include models from Deathstorm, which includes a dread, some terminators, and the death company.

Thanks for any help.

@Fluger: The kits in DeathStorm are just the standard ones. You can assemble them exactly like in the set if you want to use the Datasheets for those specific versions, but I'd say the only one of those that's worth doing that with is the DC Dread, because he's a Troops Choice when you use the Datasheet, which is pretty cool. Also, the Dread kits are so easy to make swappable that there's not a whole lot of reason not to leave yourself the option to field him.

@AgentP: The tricky bit is going to be the Tactical Terminators. They're just so underwhelming these days. Any chance you'd be able to get ahold of Assault Terminator arms for them?

Maybe something like this as a basis?  

Brother Corbulo:  120

10 Tactical Marines:  160 + 50
  Meltagun, Heavy Flamer
  Rhino:  Dozer Blades

10 Tactical Marines:  160 + 50
  Meltagun, Heavy Flamer
  Rhino:  Dozer Blades

5 Scouts:  60
  Meltabombs

5 Scouts:  60
  Meltabombs

10 Death Company:  280
  Jump Packs, 2 Power Fists

Death Company Dreadnought:  135 + 35
  Blood Talons
  Drop Pod

5 Terminators:  220 + 250
  2 Chainfists, 1 Heavy Flamer
  Land Raider Crusader:  Multimelta

10 Assault Marines:  220
  2 Meltaguns
  2 Fusion Pistols
  Drop Pod

10 Assault Marines:  220
  2 Meltaguns
  2 Fusion Pistols
  Drop Pod

Edited by fluger

As stated, Tactical Terminators are pretty blah.  I wouldn't use them if I didn't have to.  

Fast Rhinos help with mobility, as does the beatstick DC jumpers.  3 Drop pods also help with board control in maelstrom.  

Obviously tweak to taste, but the skeleton of this is a solid OFCC type list.  

If we go assault terminators, things get a lot better a lot quicker.  

As to a stormraven carrying a dread?  I just don't think it's worthwhile.  I'd rather have the dread plop down and be in someone's face early rather than waiting to assault at the earliest on turn 3.  

Stormravens are best used not as transports IMO.  

The advantage to the dread in the SR is that it benefits from the assault vehicle rule. So if you plan to arrive and have the SR fly around for the turn it arrives from reserves (because models can't assault the turn they arrive from reserve), then drop to hover mode on the following turn and have the dread (or other contents) arrive and shoot, you could go this route. For this, you need the SR to survive a turn of flying and you need a worthy target to assault.

This can work if your SR unit functions as a back up assault unit. If it is your primary assault unit, the time delay getting this one into position will ruin its value to the army.

Question that I'm unsure of, can the dread also take advantage of the special deployment from the SR?  As in, it can parachute off as a deep strike?  

Yes, but on a 1, it immobilizes itself (dangerous terrain). Ironclad is immune due to move through cover.

Neither the transported infantry, nor the dread, can assault after the deep strike. Much better off with a drop pod if the intention is to use the deep strike deployment.

Having read more, I think the Angel's Fury Spearhead formation sounds like an amazing core to build around.  

Requirements: 3 Tactical Squads, 3 Stormraven Gunships

Restrictions: Each Tactical squad must include 10 models. The Sergeant of each Tactical squad in this Formation must take a teleport homer as a free upgrade. This Formation’s Tactical squads cannot take Dedicated Transports, and must begin the game embarked in the Stormraven Gunships from this Formation.

Special Rules: 

Augur Triangulation: If a friendly unit with the Blood Angels Faction arrives from Deep Strike Reserve within 12” of at least two models from this Formation equipped with teleport homers, then it does not scatter, and can charge on the same turn it arrives.

Objective Secured: All Troops units from this Formation have the Objective Secured special rule (see page 122 of Warhammer 40,000: The Rules). Spearhead Strike Force: When making Reserve Rolls, make a single roll for the
entire Formation, which you can choose to re-roll. If successful, all units arrive from the Formation. You can make a Reserve Roll for this Formation from the start of Turn 1.

I think combining that with a Baal Strikeforce of a librarian in terminator armor, with some assault terminators, a death company in a pod, a death company dread in a pod, a couple scout squads to cover the troops tax.  

• Like 1

Can you get a Termie Libby, Assault Termies, DC and DCD in pods and a couple scout squads in like 800 points?  I'd imagine those are around 400 points per squad, for the Angel's Fury.  

What about Angel's Fury and Archangels Sanguine?

Then you'd have...4 Storm Ravens and 60 Marines.  

10 Tact in SR

10 Tact in SR

10 Tact in SR

10 Stern in SR

10 Vanguard

10 Vanguard

And pray the Angel's Fury Formation comes in Turn 1.

I'm new to the game in general - but I'm only a BA player and I will say the death company are REALLY good now. Prior to the new codex they were basically overcosted and crap but now they can be quite insane.

Stick Lemartes or Astorath or even a Chaplain in a squad of 10 well outfitted DC with jump packs and hop around the field shredding and doing math on how many attacks they can get. Lemartes when wounded gets 6 attacks at S8 on the charge plus hammer of wrath and has Zealot. They are brilliant. Feel no Pain, Zealot(with Astorath,Lemmy, or a Chap), Rage and Furious Charge.

I generally have been disappointed fielding Terms instead of DC (for the point cost) - they both seem to have similar survivability (higher armor vs feel no pain) but the DC have greater mobility and a more varied loadout.

I've looked at the 3 Raven formation and it has tons of potential, but it's very costly (cash and points) and for the rules it gives you you won't have many points leftover - I'd like to try it some day- but that's like a 1000 point reserve?

I never run the Deathstorm troops choices. Better to just field 2 small tac squads. I also rarely run rhinos despite them being 'fast' better to just use pods or jump packs or a Raven. Also, I don't have a landraider and I think I'd rather just have more Ravens for the points- they seem to be more shooty and well, they can haul around those slow ass Dreads.

As for characters - Mephiston is good, Dante is awesome, Lemartes is real fun, Astorath is alright- and I can't say much for the rest. The Deathstorm Captain is pretty good, but Dante is better and is a LOW.