Fluger's Orky Adventures!

fluger

• 2 weeks later...

I was the other ork player at the tourney and I went 2-1 as well. It was a good showing for the boyz yesterday as my list went another direction...pseudo speed freaks with a bullyboyz formation. It was nice to see another ork army ( so few of us). Nice to meet ya and hopefully we can get some games in.

• Like 2

Quick rundown of the event and games. 

First of all, thanks to Lord Hanaur and Games Matrix for putting on the event, it was great.  The tables were pretty good overall and the food provided was a great boon, totally worth price of entry even if there wasn't prize support!  :D 

Game one I played against an Eldar/Dark Eldar list.  It was two CAD and he had triple Wraithknight (note that they were using 6th ed codex for the event) a wave serpent, a farseer and some dire avengers.  The dark eldar was 4 venoms with guys inside and an archon that went with the Farseer in the wave serpent.  The mission was modified ITC with The Relic and then Maelstrom.  I really didn't have any chance of winning this as he could easily have sat back and shot me as I advanced to the mid-board, but he played aggressively, went first and came right at me.  He whittled down a few units, but I soaked it up and was close enough that I started assaulting him in turn 2 and blew up all his venoms by turn 2 as well.  I got lucky with some rolls like I did 3 glances to the wave serpent the first time I shot it and he failed all his 3+ jinks and it fell out of the sky.  I ended up with 10/11 pts in the game. 

Game two I played against WestRider!  Yay!  Haven't played him in ages with my Orks and it was a rough game for him since he was counting on his centurions to do heavy work, but they were pretty worthless against my Orks (and I got lucky and he got unlucky!).  He had drop wolves/marines that he pretty much used to mess up most of the rest of the armies that were playing (I think he got max points in his other two games), but against a tide of green bodies, it just didn't have the bullets.  Still, Space Wolves being charged are still nasty and it wasn't a walk over by any means, but, in the end, I was able to tie him up and grind him down and win.  Big moment for me was Grukk killing all 3 cents AND tigurius on the charge!  11/11 pts.

Game three I played against John and his Decurion Necrons.  He had an unusual (IMO) force where he used the doomsday formation or whatever, that has two anni barges and the doomsday ark.  Then two ghost arks with guys, 10 more guys on foot, 5 immortals in a scythe, the canoptek harvest, and an overlord that went with the immortals.  The game was a big seesaw, but John played the terrain smartly and forced me to walk in the open (that board was REALLY lacking in LoS blocking terrain, the only board like it at the event) over difficult ground right into the teeth of his ghost arks.  In the end, we dented each other but really didn't DO much to each other, he ended up winning Big Guns Never Tire because we had the same number of objectives at the end but he had killed my deffdred and I hadn't killed any of his HS...  0/11 pts. 

I won a box set of Killa Kans in the raffle which means I came ahead money wise, which is a nice bonus, but not strictly necessary.  I'd really recommend any tournament at Games Matrix coming up, I know I'm going to work to go to the next one. 

I also got to meet up with some OFCC people I know obliquely as well as meet some new people (waves at oatsman).  A friendly, fun, 40k festivity.  Fabulous.  (alliteration!)

• Like 3

Thoughts on my list:

For OFCC, no changes needed or desired, it's an OFCC list through and through. 

For tournaments though, I really wish I had a few more tools in my toolbelt.  I wish I didn't have to pay 52 pts to "upgrade" my boyz to shoota boyz.  The rules for Orks really makes me want to just go get stuck in, so my old strategy of mid-field control is basically out the window.  Not only do I rarely shoot the shootas at anything worth shooting at, I spend more time in combat so the lack of attack is actually detrimental in the extreme.  Considering I PAY to make my guys worse, that's a problem.  That's 52 pts I desperately want back.  The deffdred and the lobbas are cute, but they really aren't very good at the moment.  I like the lobbas well enough, and they aren't crippling me with their points, but dropping both adds 137 pts to my list.  Pts I could really put to use in other ways.  Take all three of those things together and I'm looking at 190 pts to spend. 

If money were no object, I think I'd invest in doing 2 units of 3 direct-fire artillery units with an ammo runt each.  That's 186 pts.  I really like the look of the Kustom Mega-Kannons with S8 AP2 blast at 36" range.

But, those changes would require re-arming (literally!) all my shoota boyz, and buying and painting 6 big kits that are 40 a pop IIRC.  That's just not something I want to contemplate economically. 

So, I'm kinda stuck with what I have...  :dry:

• Like 1

Yeah,Shootas aint what they used to be,and I see you are running groups of 30.With large blobs,I find that im lucky to have 2/3rds of them in range when I shoot,then its either shoot part of them or run.I think shootas are better in trucks now,that way when it pops they are all usually in range and survivors can head for cover and annoy.

Hmmm, if I can get my hands on some slugga boyz and scratch build me some artillery and an Aegis Line (I can always use my stock one as well, but I'd want to make an Orky one, doncha know?), then I could take mostly what I have and convert it to this for 1850 Tournament play. 

Warboss:  104
  Power Klaw, 'Eavy Armor, Finkin' Kap, Bosspole

30 Boyz: 220
Nob, Power Klaw, Boss Pole

10 Gretchin and 1 Runtherd: 35

3 MegaArmor Nobz: 125 + 35
Boss Pole
Trukk: Reinforced Ram

Boss Pole

20 Stormboyz: 220

2 Rokkit Buggies: 50

4 Kustom Mega-Kannons:  129
  3 Ammo Runts

2 Trakta Kannons:  63
  1 Ammo Runt

12 Lootas: 168

Aegis Defense Line 50

Aegis isn't even strictly necessary either, that might give way to something else, but I like it as a concept. 

Game two I played against WestRider!  Yay!  Haven't played him in ages with my Orks and it was a rough game for him since he was counting on his centurions to do heavy work, but they were pretty worthless against my Orks (and I got lucky and he got unlucky!).  He had drop wolves/marines that he pretty much used to mess up most of the rest of the armies that were playing (I think he got max points in his other two games), but against a tide of green bodies, it just didn't have the bullets.  Still, Space Wolves being charged are still nasty and it wasn't a walk over by any means, but, in the end, I was able to tie him up and grind him down and win.  Big moment for me was Grukk killing all 3 cents AND tigurius on the charge!  11/11 pts.

I just added it up, and you literally have more Models in your list than shots that I can throw out in any given Turn. On the one hand, I felt like I was dropping a fair number of Orks most Turns, but on the other, there were just so many of them that it was still just drops in a bucket. You had really good Deployment against a Pod list, too; other than the Rokkit Buggiez, you didn't give me decent shots on anything worth trying to single out. I look forward to our next chance to match up against each other!

• Like 1

OK, a comment by AbusePuppy got me thinking about Ammo Dumps.  Looks like according to Stronghold Assault I can include one as it's own Fortification.  That's pretty dope.  With that in mind, I was able to cobble together this:

Warboss:  104
  Power Klaw, 'Eavy Armor, Finkin' Kap, Bosspole

Boss Pole

Boss Pole

4 Kustom Mega-Kannons:  120

2 Trakta Kannons:  60

15 Lootas: 210

Ammo Dump:  20

With the Ammo Dump on a 40mm base, I can easily keep all 4 of the Kustom Mega-Kannons in range of it which will REALLY help them out.  With the extra points and dropping the ammo runts, I was able to add 3 more Lootas. 

PourSpelur has been on a roll scratch building some artillery for me, which is awesome.  Now I just need to save up some money and buy up some Assault on Black Reach boyz. 

Overall, this list plays about how I'm used to playing Orks, and it is MUCH more straightforward as the kannons in the back shoot and the boyz run up to fight. 

Currently going back to the Finkin' Kap Warboss as the odds of getting infiltrate is good, and really helps me get those boyz even closer to the enemy (as well as helps me from getting refused flanked), or I get other neat bonuses.  I went with Grukk in the tournament, and his Leadership rerolls DID come in handy a few times, so, if that becomes more of an issue, I'll drop two lootas and run him instead. 

• Like 1

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I like the consistency Grukk gives me.  It's hard to imagine what 2 of the strategic traits might've given me that could've helped.  Something as potent as getting infiltrate on 3 units and then also the move through cover/stealth in ruins would've been nuts.  Then again, it's always best to limit variables. 

Here's the list with Grukk instead.

Grukk Face Rippa:  130

Boss Pole

Boss Pole

4 Kustom Mega-Kannons:  120

2 Trakta Kannons:  63
  Ammo Runt

13 Lootas: 182

Ammo Dump:  20

I lose 2 lootas, but gain Grukk and an ammo runt on the trakta kannons, which would've been ace in every single one of my games since I either faced fliers or skimmers or BOTH! 

I really want to get some test games in with the Kustom MegaKannons because they just seem so awesome.  S8 AP2 with 36" range and blast is a recipe for success IMO.  I think my only concern is going to be spacing, but that's up to me to figure out how to make it work.