Fluger's Orky Adventures!

fluger

The following list summarises the rules for battlefield debris that can be purchased as an upgrade to a fortification, or as fortifications in their own right

I'm pretty sure that's just referring to the fact that it contains rules for both types. Defense Lines, for example, refer back to these Rules, and are purchased on their own, while things like the Ammo Dump are purchased as upgrades for another Fortification.

It's like how the Codexes list all the Wargear in one big section, and then the Armoury page and individual Unit Entries tell you which Units can actually take which items.

Are you guys really sure on this?  The section before it (like the PAGE before it) has the points for Ammo Dump and then the next section is the rules for how they work directly below that header.  Then the next section is datasheets. 

Is it really that much of a stretch to believe you can take them on their own?  Like, couldn't I also get a bunch of tanglewire as it's own thing? 

OK FINE!  So, I added the Wall of Martyrs Bunker (going to scratch built it, natch!) with a barricade and dropped 5 lootas, which works fine since only 8 lootas can shoot out of the WoMB anyway.  They'll be much safer in there anyway, so what I lose in shooting, I make up in survivability. 

Grukk Face Rippa:  130

30 Boyz: 220
Nob, Power Klaw, Boss Pole

10 Gretchin and 1 Runtherd: 35

3 MegaArmor Nobz: 125 + 35
Boss Pole
Trukk: Reinforced Ram

Boss Pole

20 Stormboyz: 220

2 Rokkit Buggies: 50

4 Kustom Mega-Kannons:  120

2 Trakta Kannons:  66
  2 Ammo Runts

8 Lootas: 112

Wall of Martyrs Bunker:  85
  1 Baricade, Ammo Dump

I also gain another ammo runt for the trakta kannons.

The big benefit of this list is that it is actually legal.  :laugh:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got an OFCC practice game in with Lord Hanaur last night! 

My list again is:

Grukk Face-Rippa:  130

30 Boyz: 262
Shootas, 3 Rokkit Launchas, Nob, Power Klaw,
Boss Pole

30 Boyz: 262
Shootas, 3 Rokkit Launchas, Nob, Power Klaw,
Boss Pole

29 Boyz: 214

10 Gretchin and 1 Runtherd: 35

Boss Pole

Boss Pole

10 Kommandos: 140

20 Stormboyz: 220
nob, power klaw, bosspole

Deffdredd: 80

3 Lobbas: 54

13 Lootas: 182

1999 pts 

His list was:

Canoptek Harvest Formation

60pts     1 Canoptek Spyder (TL Particle Beamer)

215pts   5 Canoptek Wraiths (5 Whip Coils = +3 INIT)

160pts   8 Canoptek Scarabs (Fearless Swarm, automatically wounds/Glances on a 6)

160pts   8 Canoptek Scarabs (Fearless Swarm, automatically wounds/Glances on a 6)

Combined Arms Detachment:

65pts  Cryptek

200pts   3 Canoptek Spyders (Gloom Prismx2, TL Particle Beamerx3)

85pts     5 Immortals

130pts  Night Scythe

85pts     5 Immortals

130pts   Night Scythe

2000 TOTAL 

We played Maelstrom mission 1 and had Dawn of War deployment.

The game took forever because we were in combat on turn 1 and just never let up. He got good Maelstrom cards in the beginning to get up quickly, but about midgame his cards got tougher and mine got easier. My MegaNobz did work on scarabs, one unit of 3 ended up killing 2.5 units of scarabs on their own. Oh,and lootas and lobbas cleared a lot of scarabs.  I also got REALLY lucky on some overwatches, pretty dope.  My Warboss and Deffdred were ace against wraiths as with S10 they auto-popped 'em and they also dropped their reanimation protocols to a 6. It was a real bloodbath mostly on my left where I had my lootas and all my speed units. My right remained basically untouched through the game, but they didn't really contribute either as Josef just put the pressure on my other flank (which wasn't a mistake I'm assuming as he basically refuse-flanked me). 

At the end of round 5, I was up 11 to 9 (maelstrom + secondaries), but the game went to 6. Josef got a couple cards he could use and went for the win. He got 3 units in my deployment for a d3 roll and also needed to get me to fail a morale. My warboss with one wound was on the central objective with 2 boyz and a wounded Nob after clearing the center of a wraith unit and 3 spyders. Josef didn't have much to put into them, but he had 5 immortals and the cryptek. He deployed them out of the nightscythe and fired. It wasn't a good round from the immortals, only causing two wounds. I gambled and didn't opt to look out sir on my warboss as he had a 4+ save and FnP (go go Grukk!). I saved one and took another. Now the cryptek shot, hitting just once and getting one wound with AP3. I opted to LoS this wound, but I failed the roll with a 1 and then failed FnP! Grukk dropped for Slay the Warlord and then the unit broke! Had he not killed Grukk, he probably would've wiped out the cryptek unit on his own in melee (with his bros)! It was a huge swing in points and momentum.

In the end, it was a draw (I pulled it out with a long-distance run move with my kommandos!), and, honestly, it felt like a draw. A very enjoyable game.  Had it been at OFCC-actual, I would've said it was a perfect example of the kind of game the event strives for. 

My only thoughts are I HAVE to figure out how to play this army faster. The whole game took 3.5 hours to play e14142.gif (of course, that includes setting up the table from scratch, so...) It's hard not to take forever when I'm in combat from the get go. That's a lot of fiddly movement and lots of rolls. Hmmm.

• Like 3

There were quite a few interesting moments in the game.  The Lootas were on fire, the Meganobz did what they do and that Deffdread came in handy.  That battle between the Deffdread and the Canoptek Spyder was quite amusing.  I tried smashing like four times and didn't hit once, but kept making just enough Reanimation saves to stay alive and try again.

Then there were the buggies trying to kill that Lone Spyder over in the corner for that card you pulled.  Ended up taking three turns to score the "Kill a Monstrous Creature" card despite a target rich environment! 

Then there was that SINGLE Ork i couldn't kill from like three different angles, to claim the big "have two and twice as many as your enemies" card.  He was like within a hair of the 3" mark on that objective #2 and nothing i did would drop HIM specifically.  He needs more paint, post haste.

Your leader did WORK

• Like 2

Yeah, our battle of whiffs between the dred and the spyder was super goofy. 

That whole unit with the single Ork was pretty lucky as they not only survived all the relevant shooting, but then also overwatched the wraiths out of a charge!  Crazy. 

Grukk continues to impress.  The baked in Warlord Trait and the inherent FnP as well as shred and the attack squig means his rugged, reliable, and a force multiplier.  I initially started with a generic warboss with the finkin' kap, but ditched it for the more reliable Grukk. 

Well you may be forgetting that your models were in a bit of disarray when we got started because your son had gotten into them.  I actually do have a suggestion to help you on that end.  

What I've now done on some armies is painted the base black or whatever color for the army but then added a stripe, front and back, on the bases to differentiate the units and keep them easily and visually obvious as to what pile to return them to or from.  This has sped up deployment for me in a lot of ways and it makes it REAL easy in multiple combats to tell which one goes with which.  

then when you store them I suggest a tupperwear thing or whatever to put them in thats got the color on it.  take em out and then put em back in their color coded bowl as they die.  It could help 

I plan to do SOMETHING like that for the Canoptek Spyders and their initial Canoptek Wraiths and Canoptek swarms.  That got me a little confused during our game, which spyder was assigned to whom.  I realized how valuable that is with this force too, for when I execute complicated maneuvering like I did in this instance.

• Like 2

Yeah, our battle of whiffs between the dred and the spyder was super goofy.

That whole unit with the single Ork was pretty lucky as they not only survived all the relevant shooting, but then also overwatched the wraiths out of a charge! Crazy.

Grukk continues to impress. The baked in Warlord Trait and the inherent FnP as well as shred and the attack squig means his rugged, reliable, and a force multiplier. I initially started with a generic warboss with the finkin' kap, but ditched it for the more reliable Grukk.

Good to hear that I wasn't crazy when I said, "Dis is da boss fer my boyz!"

Grukk is badass. He just does everything I want in an Orks Warboss. No random Warlord Trait roll, great weapon, awesome model, etc. When I saw his stats, I had to play him. I am glad you like him Fluger.

• Like 2

What I've now done on some armies is painted the base black or whatever color for the army but then added a stripe, front and back, on the bases to differentiate the units and keep them easily and visually obvious as to what pile to return them to or from. 

Yeah, it's on my to-do list for the Ork army that I haven't finished painting since 2008... 

I wish that all my solutions to my problems wasn't "paint more".  :(  I hate painting. 

• Like 1

I've found that with Orks having specific dice pools set up for each unit helps a lot to speed up the game.  If shooting grab this pile, if fighting grab that pile, add this other pile if charging.

However, I also tried to get as many Fearless units in so the seemingly endless Roll Ld, Roll Mob Rule, Roll Mob Rule Damage, Roll Mob Rule Armor Saves (and after all that time remove one or two models) iterations would be at a minimum.

• Like 1

yeah the Ledership thing was definitely...a process.  hehehe.  thinking bck on the game that did hold us up as we had to go through all that before we could move to the next combat.  Though that is mostly a good thing because you want your opponent to understand what you're doing on that.  Still, it slowed it down a bit too, thinking back.

Biggest thing is deploying quickly.  If you have the orks in shape to deploy them fast, it will make a big difference.

• Like 1

Got another game in last night at Game Matrix with Matt this time.  Matt ran his IG + BA with a knight.  He was using the Fleshtearers formation to get a bunch of drop pods for his vet squads.  He basically had:

CAD:  IG

4 units of Vets with trips melta, carapace armor, and demoltions.

1 CCS with 4 meltas, carapace

Vendetta

Priest

Fleshtearers Detachment:

5 Drop Pods

9 Scouts with CCW/BP

Termy Captain with TH/SS

Termy Captain with Chainfist (warlord)

Stormravem

Knight

We played Cloak And Shadows or whatever the one is that you hide your objectives.  We had Dawn of War deployment.  I won the roll and deployed first, but made Matt go first (I think that's pretty dumb, but that's the book...)

Matt put the priest and the chainfist captain in with the scouts in the stormraven and the other captain with the command squad. 

We had a pretty dense ruined city scape to play on. 

The only thing Matt deployed was his Knight where he could be out of range of most of my lootas. 

I deployed with my fast stuff on my flanks, MegaNobz to the left and stormboyz to the right and then lobbas (right), lootas (left) with shoota boyz in front of them and then my slugga boyz in the center with the deff dred kinda within their cloud.  I infiltrated the kommandos stupidly right near the knight because I had this braindead moment that I thought he wouldn't be able to hurt them because they were inside a dilapidated bastion.  :blush:

Anyway, Matt dropped down 2 units of vets and the command squad and used his demo packs and no-cover orders to good effect, but he wasn't able to break my lootas despite killing 6 of the 13.  He did some good damage on my slugga boyz squad as well, but it was just a bunch of boyz.  He also assaulted the building the kommandos were in and destroyed it (getting first blood) and breaking the kommandos.   I countered by killing the two vet squads and one of the drop pods.  Kommandos rallied and vainly put themselves in the way of the knight.

Critically on Matt's second turn, he didn't get his stormraven in, his drop pods scattered off of objectives, and his vendetta (and a bunch of other stuff!) couldn't kill one of my trukks which was moving up the left flank.  He was able to finish off the kommandos with the knight, and he got in an assault on my slugga boyz with his captain as well.

In my turn, my buggies came in, shot at the vendetta and took a HP off as well as forced it to jink (I think Matt made like 1 jink save all gave... :blink: ).  I assaulted one of the new vet squads with one unit of MegaNobz and also assaulted the Captain's unit with the other slugga boyz squad (which had whiffed against a drop pod last turn).  I was able to stay in combat, but Grukk took two wounds in a challenge from his Captain, and the Captain made 6 3++ saves to not die.  :wacko:   Oh, and I jumped the stormboyz up at the vets on the right, shot them a bit with pistols and they BROKE, leaving my stormboyz super exposed. 

Matt got his Stormraven in (and the Vendetta flew off...coward!), and he had the Blood Angels Maelstrom card that if a flyer comes in and kills something the turn it comes in its worth d3 VP.  Well, he targeted one of my trukks, but FAILED TO KILL IT thanks to my 1337 cover save throws.  The knight took on the stormboyz who got whalloped, but held thanks to Mob Rule.  My deff dred assaulted the drop pod that the command squad had come in and wiped it out.  In my combat with the Captain, I failed to kill him at I2, and he got one wound on Grukk who failed his FnP, but was able to kill the Captain as well. I also finished off the vets on the left that my MANz were fighting. 

At this point, I had a slight lead on the Maelstrom points, but thanks to FB and StW, Matt was close as well.  I moved my depleted slugga boyz squad onto an objective, sent my right shoota boyz towards the knight, hoping to slow it down and maybe put enough klaw attacks onto it to kill it (Oh, and Fear was a big factor in our game...).  I tried to shoot up the Stormraven, but he took two HPs and still jinked enough to stay alive.  My assault on the knight was a failure in doing damage, but I was still in combat with him at the end.   My deff dred continued it's anti-drop pod rampage and killed a third drop pod in an assault.

Matt disembarked his fighty unit from the stormraven and set up to assault my left-side shoota boyz.  The Vendetta came back in and killed one MANz.  The depleted vet squad on my right snagged an objective.  The Knight finished off both units but took another HP (oh, the lootas had stripped 2 earlier with some lucky rolling!).  Matt's scouts and captain pureed my shoota boyz thanks to the priest, suffering no casualties and breaking the unit under 25%.  Oh, and the stormraven killed my trukk with MANz still in it. 

In my turn I blew up the stormraven with shooting, lit up the scouts with the lobbas, which was critical because I sniped out the priest!  I moved my gretchin out of a building to block the path of the knight further.  I assaulted the scouts with my deff dred first and then a unit of MANz.  I rolled well and wiped the squad and the captain, though he was able to swing and take out the 3 MANz as well.  I also moved a trukk onto an objective. 

At this point, Matt had little hope, but went for what he could do, but the dice failed him.  His Vendetta failed to even hit a MANz out of cover and the knight wiped out the gretchin, but he needed them to fail a morale check for the Maelstrom Card (so, rolling well in that case was actually a problem).  At that point is was 13-7 and we rolled to see if the game would end at the end of my turn to see if it was even necessary to play out.  I rolled a 2 and we shook hands. 

• Like 2