Fluger's Orky Adventures!

fluger

The South Hill Mall on Sundays?  That's cool.  I just started running an online D&D game but that won't be EVERY Sunday.  So maybe I'll pop in and see what they are about.  It will go on my list of things to do once i am done getting through this next tournament on March 5th. 

They're doing an Age of Sigmar "tournament" next week, but then the week after I'll be there.  They are open from 11:00-5:00.  I plan on being there around noon.  

I looked up the buses, and it's a bit of a poke, but I can definitely make the occasional Sunday down there too.

I really hope you can make it!  If it helps, I can give you a life from South Hill to Tacoma for the return trip...

• Like 1

FLuger,

Have you tried out deffkoptas instead of buggies? I know you HAVE the buggies, but the koptas are purely superior in my experience. five more points, but they can jink, cant get one-shotted by stuff like missiles. have scout, and are just as good at shooting, AND can assault and tie stuff up.

As for the rest, I like it. good old-fashioned foot-sloggers. classic fluger. ^_^

:)  I also think, that the stomrboys are great. try this. if you've got the slots, use looted wagons instead of trukks for the manz. instead of 35 for a ram trukk, it's 42, but you get AV 11 out of it. and lose fast. the fast isnt that important, cus you were gonna flat out anyway, and 18 across the board is just fine. it uses up a heavy slot, but you dont seem to be hurting for those. also, 99 points for three of the trakta kannonz, with three runz is enough to make most fliers jink.

I had a thought to put the traktor kanons with a big mek with mega armor and a KFF in a stompa. lets them shoot while the stompa is moving, and you could totally build some platforms on it's shoulders to put the Trakta gunz on. that way it has mobile AA turrets inside it's armor shell keeping those nasty fliers and flying MCs at bay. just my two cents.

Got a game in last night against Shae (sp?) a regular from Corvallis who rides with AbusePuppy. She had a Nemesis Strike force combined with a Skyhammer Detachment. We played itc mission 5 iirc and it was pretty cool. Shae was winning on maelstrom but i was able to weather the storm of her alpha strike and lash out hard. The stompa was ace, finishing off two dreadknights and dispensing respectable death with shooting. 10/10 would play again.

• Like 3

Shaelynn was prepping for the March 5th Tournament I assume that happened today.  We didn't get the chance to go to war, but that's cool.  We missed you there Fluger.  We had the Orks represented.

Sean won and I took second (both undefeated).  We didn't actually get to play each other because there were 30 players for the tournament.  I had set it up with the organizer, but then the owner kinda took the reigns of the tournament over and ran with it, so it never happened.

Pics and such will be up soon I'm sure.  I hope!  We gotta' get you to more events man!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Got a game in with Lord Hanaur last night to test out his 1850 Tau list and my 1850 Ork list with Big Mek Stompa!

nulGq0v.jpg

We played mission 6 of the ITC missions. 

It was quite a good game in terms of learning how to use our lists and was really close.  Lord Hanaur made some bold moves that backfired with bad luck (he deep struck his ghost keels and the mishaped and ended up out of the game for like 3 turns) but also got a crucial bit of luck.  

RuFvja3.jpg

See that?  That's 3 Fire Warriors assaulting 3 Meganobz and hoping I'll flub so that they'll contest an objective I was on in order to deny me a 3 pt Maelstrom objective.  Guess which little mutha [big bad swear word]as survived (9 attacks, hitting on 3s, wounding on 2s with no saves...I killed one and he passed his test...).  

bZ6mv6N.jpg

The Stompa was brutal, basically being REALLY hard to kill.  I failed every KFF save roll and didn't regen a single hull point, but it still was alive at the bottom of turn 6 (barely!), but it had done a significant amount of damage.  It accounted for LH's warlord, one Riptide, the ghostkeels and a bunch of pathfinders and stealth suits that I shot up and/or assaulted.  With the gretchin inside, it was ob sec and just held down one objective pretty much by itself.  

Here's LH's riptide trying to tickle it!

zkZ1mvX.jpg

In the end, it was a draw.  I had 3 objectives to LH's 1, but he won Maelstrom, I had Warlord and Linebreaker, and he had First Blood and Linebreaker. 

A great game!  

• Like 1

Yup, Fluger forced me to take first turn, unfortunately and it was my first game going first with the list so i messed up at the outset by forgetting to infiltrate.  That was kind of a no brainer that I just messed up.  So that was my key takeaway for playing this Tau Empire army in the future, should I be forced to go first.

I splatered 25 out of 30 Orks in one unit in round one, and made my second mistake, which was that I had joined my Commander to my Fire Warriors and then in the Assault phase of round one, I kind of forgot that i had done it and jumped him to the other side of the Gunrig.  The net result of this was that when he hit me with his Megablast, my Commander was unfortunately unable to avoid the hit nor pass it on and he died.  This would turn out to be the deciding moment of the game, though we wouldn't know that until turn 6 was over.  I had a lot of time to make up for the error, but I had to pay for it.

The only shot i took at the enormous stompa for quite a while was the Piranha firing at it round one and taking down one of its shields, but it felt like a waste of time to try and get through 15 hull points until the rest of the deep Strikers could assist and at that stage, the best target in turn two was his Stormboyz and then is Cannonade and so it wasn't really until turn five that I even looked funny at the Stompa.  

In that turn he forced the issue and I stripped a bunch of hull points off of him as well as began blockading it so that it had to limit its movement and just swipe at a Stealthsuit fragment here or there.

The moment of truth was in turn 6 when he was down to one Hull Point.  His Stompa charged the Ghostkeels, and they tried to SMASH his last hull point off.  they actually did hit but I think his shield bounced the fatal blow (which was also his Warlord and would have been the winning point for me!)

So I definitely had my chances to salt the game away but as Fluger mentions, I mishap'd with both the GhostKeels and another unit of Stealthsuits as well.  this put them out of the fight for quite a while and really helped him kep the Stompa moving and killing stuff.  

The MVP for the game was Vior'la Hero of the People Wan'Gau'San whose brave decision to charge the infinitely superior Meganobz in close combat to deny them the objective dealt a fatal blow to the Greenskins and their attempts to take back momentum in the maelstrom race.  

in all i scored 11 maelstrom.  I want to say Fluger had 7 by games end, so three points would have at least put winning into the realm of possibility again had there been a 7th round.

That Fire Warrior was jut an epic hero.  His fellow Fire Warrior unit charged and killed the Trukk as well, which was cool, so the ferocity of Fire Warriors is once again made manifest.

I think the goat for the game was likely the Commander.  Just boned that one.  Good news:  i am now better with this list than I was before.  yaya!

You hit with a smash hit, but failed to pen or glance.  4 hull points were stripped though on an overwatch from a near-by stealthsuit fusion gun.  That was pretty gnarly. 

Whatever it was, point is I had my chance and just missed it.  Coulda been huge because that also would give me a tie on Objectives as well.  that things was holding Objective 2 with its enormous girth and that was giving you the third objective you needed for primary.  So missed out on those points.  A tie was the right outcome but I feel so much better equipped to use this list now, because of this game.  Lots of little things became clearer to me.  How I use the commander has already changed.  i played Astra Militarum who were fielding three dang Manticores,  In that game, i made a couple errors,  but mainly what I decided to do from what i learned from the game against the orks is I now put Pathfinders into the Gunrig, but put the commander in with the Optimized Stealth Cadre Stealthsuits.  It not only protected what is a valuable unit, but made them as deadly as one can make them.

I did table the Imperial Guard, who featured three blobs with Lascannon support, three Manticores, and Space Marine Allies who drop pod's in and used a Pyker to power them up plus a speeder to snake objectives much like the Piranha in my list does.

Funny fact about that Astra Militarum game.  The Piranha was the only thing I deployed, and that Piranha never died by turn 6.  hilarious.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

shoot.  i still need to figure out if i want to go to the one day thing or not.  I haven't even looked to see if its filled up, come to think of it.  Some of my teammates are going to go, i know that.  i suppose i should also, but I know I was like all gamed out by day two of the team tournament because I had already played six before it.

Last time I attended it, i just assumed everyone was bringing their friendly OFCC lists and so that's what I did.  Ha!  THAT was a mistake.  Note to self:  it was an actual tournament, you idiot.  Lol.

Anywho, I am glad the Astra Militarum are going to get played.  Matt I think is bringing his "I actually want to win" list for it, and if I paint REEEEEEEAL fast maybe I could too.

So is this going to be a tool'd version of what I fought?  Are you going to make the slight changes we were talking about at your house?

Are you going to OFCC?  I'm bringing my IG list to the event, but also my Orks for the Friday tournament.  We could play after day 1?  

Im gonna be there for the team event on Saturday and Sunday as part of Team Bacon (mmmmmm bacon) but may pop down on the Friday again if folks are selling stuff off cheap again? I think 2 days of gaming will be more than enough for me. lol Fingers crossed i can play the orks as part of the team event! :)

• Like 2

Something fun to see from my game last weekend.  Decided to play orks.  Thought you might like the visual.

20160507_1430281.jpg

Dude, LH, where did you get that Boarboyz/ Meganobz/ Grot set with the yellow armour and swamp basing!? I painted those and then sold them to a guy in Canada on eBay almost 3 years ago!

Crazy to see them pop up again and glad I know they went to a good home.

Do you have the Battle Wagon and Ghazzie, too??

http://crusadedude40k.blogspot.com/2013/04/snakebites-wip.html