Orkdork's WIP OFCC Orcs and Goblins (Swedish Comp List)

Hey guys!

With a dozen games or so under my belt, I'm finally starting to get a feel for how this new edition plays, and I think I have a potential OFCC list with my O&G.

I'm mostly looking for "would you like to face this with your 12-16 comp list?", not "is this a min/max power list?" :) I am aiming for something that opponents are looking forward to playing against.

It's a Gorbad Ironclaw list. I freakin' LOVE this guy! For 375 points, he's not the best combat character on the block (glass cannon that can easily die to monstrous infantry rank and file), but the amount of stability he brings is so refreshing after 13+ years of unruly orcs and goblins :) For those that don't know, he is LD 10, both BSB and general, and has 18" range on both effects. He also adds his wounds to the animosity table rolls for units within 18", so a failed animosity often turns into a move+charge rather than a squabble. He also lets me take multiple big 'uns units if I want to, which is cute, since normal orcs are so dissatisfying (S3? Have you seen their muscles?)

Here is the list!

Gorbad Ironclaw, 375 (-20) 

L4 Savage Orc, Fencer's Blades, Shrunken Head, 290 (-35)

Goblin Big Boss on Giant Wolf, Spear, 4+ save, Ironcurse Icon, 58 (-4)

Goblin Big Boss on Giant Wolf, Spear, 4+ save, Charmed Shield, 56 (-4)

23 Savage Orc Big 'Uns, Double Choppas, Full Command, 288 (-17)

23 Black Orcs, Standard, Musician, Shields, 319 (-17)

49 Night Goblins, Standard, Musician, Shields, Nets, 1 Fanatic, 237 (-11)

9 Boar Boy Big 'Uns, Full Command, Spears, Shields, 251 (-6)

6 River Trolls, 270 (-16)

5 Wolf Boyz, Musician, Spears, Shields, 70 (-3)

5 Spider Riders, Musician, 75 (-2)

2 Mangler Squigs, 130 (-14)

1 Doom Diver, 80 (-11)

Feedback appreciated!

• Like 2

I really like this list. At first, I thought that 5 combat blocks might be a little much due to LD and BSB proximity, but that is not an issue when you have 18" reach on both from one model. This list certainly has potential to be competitive and fun all at the same time, Id play it! 

• Like 1

Thanks, guys!

I have no frame of reference for Swedish comp. At 14, I'm hoping to be playing stuff that isn't non-engagement (which OnG can't handle without going cheesemode), but is plenty tough otherwise. Is 14 about right?

How to you guys feel about the Manglers? I'm not 100% sold on them. They're obviously power-pieces, but they crush face on stuff I already can deal with, rather than shoring up a weakness in the army. They're also not as much fun to paint as I'd hoped :) I got maybe 5 minutes into my first mangler paint-job before switching over to painting trolls and boarboys (which are both a total pleasure to paint!).

In contrast, the doom-diver brings a ton of flexibility, so even though it is a power-piece, I won't drop it simply because it makes my army much less matchup-dependent.

I guess I worry that 2 manglers could be very un-fun for certain opponents in the 14 bracket.

As we discussed, I think you should keep them in.  You've played against my mostly-frontal assault armies, where your manglers do seem like "just another redirector tradeout", but against Daemon Princes and Dragons and stuff you're going to love their ability to protect your flanks, war machine(s), and generally cover the rear of your battle line.

• Like 1

As we discussed, I think you should keep them in.  You've played against my mostly-frontal assault armies, where your manglers do seem like "just another redirector tradeout", but against Daemon Princes and Dragons and stuff you're going to love their ability to protect your flanks, war machine(s), and generally cover the rear of your battle line.

Yeah, this is a really good point. I don't really have anything else that can try to catch crap in my backlines.

What would you swap for the mangla?

Not sure! I have gobs of models for OnG, so I could do a lot of different things. But NtK makes a convincing point: they're really my only 360 zone control pieces for dealing with flying units.

I don't even bat an eye at the 2 manglers, armies with cheap diverters and even moderate shooting deal with 1-2 manglers just fine.  The rest of the list is just fine as well.. love the wolf big bosses, they're ace.  Looks like a well designed swedish list that's still plenty fun to play against.

• Like 1

I like the list a lot.  To me it's exactly what an OnG list should look like: a mish-mash of different units.  Anyone you play against has to put a lot of thought into what unit is worth attacking, but it will still make for a lot of fun games.

And I agree that you should keep the manglas.  If you were also bringing 9 fanatics it might be OTT, but this isn't that kind of list.

• Like 1

I don't even bat an eye at the 2 manglers, armies with cheap diverters and even moderate shooting deal with 1-2 manglers just fine.  The rest of the list is just fine as well.. love the wolf big bosses, they're ace.  Looks like a well designed swedish list that's still plenty fun to play against.

One thing I'm loving about Svedish comp is that we (Micah and I) have typically run mid-power armies with a lot of effort put into variety and cool "table look" (looking like an army instead of like a MtG deck).  So without really changing anything, our armies suddenly get a reward for being non-cookie cutter, non-min-maxed, etc.  It's cool!  I'm sure the comp system can be gamed (especially if you know exactly how the tournament is going to use the comp score) but without even trying I think most lists I've scored get a reasonable score right out of the box.  Nice!

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for the feedback, guys! Sounds like I've landed right where I hoped to. This is good, because it means I can stop thinking about army builds and get back to painting!

And I agree that you should keep the manglas.  If you were also bringing 9 fanatics it might be OTT, but this isn't that kind of list.

9 fanatics? yuck :( I can't remember the last time I even ran 3. Even back when I had 200 goblins in my army (good old 6th edition with 2 pt. goblins), I never ran more than 2. Though in past editions, non-chargers had to stop, so they used to have value as movement control rather than just damage.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm continuing to love this list. I played it against Bunto's dwarves, and it was a nail-biter.

Started out looking very grim as his warmachines rolled up some beastly numbers, but then his forging cannon blew up and his longbeards failed stubborn on 10 with reroll. It looked like lights out for the dwarves until Gorbad fell to his dwarf lord in a challenge!

Only changes I'm considering at this point are to lose the fanatic and try to fit in a chariot.

I have an update that I am going to be running for the next little while. My thought is that I should really embrace Swedish comp to make this list more in line with the aesthetic I like.

-I'm starting by dropping the manglers. They rock (I had one kill 8 ironbreakers and two warmachines last game), but they don't look right in an army without the rest of my squigs (I like running them with both hoppers and a herd), and the squigs don't look right with Gorbad.

-I'm also dropping the night goblins for regular goblins. Again, I like the aesthetic better. The army looks more cohesive with regular goblins to match the fast cav and gobbo heroes.

-I'm adding my giant back in. I've never gone to a tournament without him, and he's my first good paintjob ever (15 years old!)

Current Version, 16 Comp

Gorbad Ironclaw, 375 (-20) 

L4 Savage Orc, Fencer's Blades, Shrunken Head, 290 (-35)

Goblin Big Boss on Giant Wolf, Spear, 4+ save, Ironcurse Icon, 58 (-4)

Goblin Big Boss on Giant Wolf, Spear, 4+ save, Charmed Shield, 56 (-4)

23 Savage Orc Big 'Uns, Double Choppas, Full Command, 288 (-17)

22 Black Orcs, Standard, Musician, Shields, 306 (-17)

50 Goblins, Standard, Musician, Shields, 195 (-5)

9 Boar Boys, Full Command, Spears, Shields, 215 (-4)

6 River Trolls, 270 (-16)

5 Wolf Boyz, Musician, Spears, Shields, 70 (-3)

5 Spider Riders, Musician, 75 (-2)

1 Giant, Warpaint, 220 (-2)

1 Doom Diver, 80 (-11)