Pretre's 1850 Musings for DAG Tournament - March 7

pretre

The "shooty" list looks pretty fair, but I do feel like losing the melee element could come back to hurt you. Maybe run a Rune Priest over the WGBL in that version? He does a lot more for you, I think.

Rune Priest actually doesn't do much for me. If I add him to any of the good sisters squads, I lose Faith. I guess if I'm dropping on something that isn't using cover, I could use him with Doms for Prescience or something.

Okay, looking for middle ground:

CotGW

Wolf Lord - TWM, Kraken, SS

Stormwolf with TL-MM

Stormwolf with TL-MM

Iron Priest with TWM

Iron Priest with TWM

4 TWC with SS/WC, SS/BP, PF/BP, BP/CCW

Predator with Lascannons

Allied

Celestine

Priest

5 BSS with Melta/Flamer in Repressor

5 Doms with 4 Melta in Repressor

Exorcist

Gives me 4 AV13 on the ground plus the TWC Star. Then the Stormwolves come in. I'd like to get a drop pod in and such, but this may be a good middle ground.

Sure, but look at what those things are designed to accomplish, not what they are. The Repressors are to give you protection and longevity on your units- SW have an innate advantage over SoB in that regard. Dominions are to give you a strong anti-tank alpha strike- Drop Pods and flyers can give you similar results. Rerolls on the blob of Sisters and HnR are there to make it functional as a melee combat unit- but SW units are generally as good (or better) without any buffs as SoB are with them.

That's not to say that any of those units are bad, or that you shouldn't run them, but when you're looking at what a particular detachment or unit brings to your army, you need to look at roles moreso than specifics. SW fill roles that Sisters cannot (like anti-air, etc); Sisters, unfortunately, do not really fill any roles SW is lacking in. They certainly have units that are more efficient at certain jobs (an Exorcist is purely superior to a Predator and it's hard to find better Melta delivery than Dominions), but they don't really bring anything new to the army. That's why I'd never consider SW/SoB as an army, even though SoB/SW I think is perfectly acceptable.

SW aren't that much more durable than SOB when they get out of their transports. That's the problem.

As for alpha strike doms vs alpha strike pods... One has ignore cover, one doesn't. That has been a big deal for me in the past, especially with the prevalence of jinking, shrouding, etc. Rending heavy flamers are something that SW can't do either and that's especially important when dealing with invisible targets under the BAO/LVO rules. I see my SOB as particularly suited to taking out a lot of the 'power' units that people love to play and give other armies fits (with the exception of flyers). I see my SW as put in place to deal with the rest.

I just think that I'm probably going to have to suck it up and leave the flyers out. I love them, but I just can't figure out a way to do it. Alternatively, I may just play SW.

F it. How about this instead?

Wolf Lord SS/Krakenbone/TWM

5 BC in Stormwolf TL-MM

5 GH with Standard in STormwolf TL-MM

Iron Priest on TWM

Iron Priest on TWM

4 TWC SS/WC, SS/CCW, PF/BP, BP/CCW

4 TWC SS/WC, SS/CCW, PF/BP, BP/CCW

Logan on Stormrider

Then I don't have to think about my list. Just charge! At least my games will be quick.

I'll have to paint Logan and 3 or 4 TWC, but that's not bad.

No offense taken, it's just list arguments. :P I feel like you're getting further away from a "good" list here and more towards very unbalanced armies- your original core stuff had a lot of solid units and, as you say, many good solutions to some of the prevalent stuff in tournaments today.

What, in particular, didn't you like about the original list I posted? (with the Sisters blob, Repressors, airplanes, etc)? It seems like it's the closest to your original concept and, while it lacks the TWC, you could theoretically drop one of the airplanes for those if you felt they were really critical to your success, and you have pretty much all of the models for that, don't you? I'm just not really sure what you're looking for at this point, since you've posted some radically different armies.

I dunno man. I want my guardian cup list plus zooming planes. But since we are at the same point total, It just ain't happening.

It's hard to carve out 500-600 points to add the flyers without destroying what makes it good/enjoyable. Maybe I'll try a few variants with one flyer. It's better than nothing.

Drop Uriah down to a Canoness, drop the Battle Sister blob down to a minimum squad, give the Wolf Lord his TWM back, add three Thunderwolves?

If you're not dead-set on the HF Drop Pod unit you could run one Stormwolf in your FA slot instead of the Pod, which would free up another 95pts for another TWC model or two.

I just plugged your original list into my excel. It's only 1785. Time to play. Oh wait, I missed a BSS.

Okay, getting real close.

Using your list:

CAD

Uriah

Priest with Litanies

17 BSS with 2 Flamers

5 BSS with M/F in Repressor

5 Rets with 4 HF 

Exorcist

Exorcist

Allied

Wolf Lord with SS/Black Death/TWM

5 BC with Stormwolf

Drop Pod

Iron Priest with TWM

So 17 BSS, + Uriah + Priest + Wolf Lord + Iron Priest in blob

BSS and 2 Doms in Repressors, with 2 Exorcists (so 5 AV13 on table)

1 Pod with Rets and 1 SW with BC in reserve.

Obsec blob, obsec Repressor with BSS and Obsec SW with BC.

Edited by pretre

And the award for the list most likely to get me dirty looks:

Uriah

Priest with Litanies

15 BSS with 2 Flamers and MB

5 BSS with M/F and Repressor

5 Dominions with 4 Melta

5 Dominions with 4 Melta

5 Dominions with 4 Melta and Repressor

5 Retributors with 4 Heavy Flamers

Exorcist

Exorcist

CotGW

Wolf Lord with SS/Krakenbone/TWM

5 BC with Stormwolf

Drop Pod (Dom)

Drop Pod (Dom)

Drop Pod (Ret)

Servitor

Servitor

So 3 drop pods (2 sets of ignore cover meltas and a rending flamer squad) with 2 first turn. 

Sisters  blob with Wolf Lord and 2 Priests for reroll saves and such.

4 AV13 vehicles on the field start of turn

Stormwolf in reserve.

Servitors... hiding in ruins somewhere out of LOS. lol

• Like 1

Also, bonus points for dirty looks:

Uriah

Priest with Litanies

15 BSS with 2 flamers

5 BSS

5 Doms with 4 melta in Repressor

5 Doms with 4 melta in Repressor

5 Rets with 4 Heavy Flamers

Exorcist

Exorcist

CotGW

Wolf Lord with SS/Krakenbone/TWM

Stormwolf with TL-MM

Stormwolf with TL-MM

Drop Pod

Servitor

Servitor

This has the advantage of being painted except for the two servitors. I guess I could give them MM or something, but mostly I'm gonna hide them. The extra 20 would probably go to a combi for the Rets and an upgraded loadout for the blob (Melta and a MB or something).