Fluger Games Day: March 28th

fluger

Ha!  that would be a first for us.  You really think so?  

I was imagining what will happen to his destroyers against even just a blob that can shoot or perhaps 24 Fire Warriors and their leaders firing 104 shots into them.  If it ends up a 3, no problem, but I sort of sense that it will have a few issues dealing with firepower from basic units like that if they are screened and given a chance to do their thing.  No anti-air hurts too as there WILL be Blood Angels and their triple Ravens Im guessing since its one of the ways they can really compete well.

I know you said the balance wasn't overwheming (which is good) and from what I hear the orks actually had it until turn 6.  But one thing that we might be able to do is go without the Decurion element in his list.  If we do that, it would make it more of a 2.  I assume the added Reanimation is the main thing that made it tough to whittle, especially with your shooting.  But then... You're Orks.

I'm also thinking of not using the Decurion for my Canoptek Harvest list.  The list doesn't have much Reanimation Protocols in it, and what they can get can be denied by killing their singular Spider in the Formation (target number one for First Blood anyways probably).  Still its pretty cool while it works.  So I am thinking of not using Decurion for it either.  Kind of a big deal to give up though.

I'm not one who hates on the Decurion because ultimately melee is where it's at against Necrons.  Whittle them and then use melee to break their will.  I haven't lost a game to a necrons yet in five tries.  So I kinda feel torn on this.

One of our players is playing the Gawds list (Vault, and some short ranged gawds running around with Flayed ones pretty much).  That force is probably not as powerful.  It's kind of Sniper bait.  Hits hard, a little on the slow side.  But it will be fun against other monster lists like Tyranids and Imprial Knights.  Godzilla v Mothra.

The fourth player is playing the "invasion" theme and his list is pretty typical of Necrons:  Warriors and monoliths, add a couple anti FMC planes.

Well, let's run the numbers. 

104 shots from Firewarriors.  Let's assume they all get a +2 BS for BS5.  Fair 'nuff?

That's 7.22 wounds getting through on a destroyer squad.  So, you kill 3.5 destroyers.  Now, that's assuming quite a lot in that scenario, but even with the fantastic amount of S5 shooting, you're not looking at making much of a dent on destroyers.  And, if they are in 15" range for doing this, the remaining destroyers should be able to assault and see off the fire warriors. 

I'm not saying his list is broken or anything, but an all foot ANYTHING trying to get into a firefight with those things is going to have a bad time.  They have 24" range and JSJ.  A volley from just 6 of them should kill 9 guardsmen a turn (assuming no cover).  You put three into a blob and that's 27 gone from just three units.  Now put in some shots from the ghost arks and the guys inside and...well...there won't be many guardsmen left to do shooting back.  And, most of those units can then just jump away. 

Now, to be clear, I don't think this list is unbeatable or anything, but saying send guardsmen at it strikes me like hubris.

Well there's only one way to find out.  Matt:  you must now face my Guardsman and my Tau Empire.  Dun dun duuuuuuuuun (as if we needed more excuses, but hey).

EDIT:  and to be fair i had my first non win yesterday against Necrons.  I tied a Necron 5-5 (Emperors Will, Vanguard Deployment).  His Decurion 4+ was ON FIRE that game and I mean I was totally outgunning him.  I had him split up, like i like to do, I had the advantage in sheer firepower against every clump of his army and the Fighter and Bomber were doing their things and STILL he stood.  

I faced Decurion already but that was an AWESOME display of 4's on his part and that WAS a little frustrating.  Then again, without that 4+ instead of 5+, I would have tabled him and I was just using the Highlander Tau list, so absolutely nothing fancy, just good old fahsioned tactics!  So i mean here again I kind of get torn because it was ONLY the Decurion bonus that kept him in it.  Really and truly He NEEDED that to be able to compete.  

I wont lie and say i enjoyed watching a billion shots turn to vapor but I have to be fair in saying the Decurion was what allowed a tie.  So...