Pax's Tomb Kings

Saving one model from a crumble isn't generally going to be the difference in how much longer the unit sticks around.

That's not really why the BSB isn't worth it in TK as saving a wound on constructs is actually pretty big.  The problem with the TK BSB is that he's very squishy, overpriced, and not as vital as a BSB would be in a non-undead list.  If you do end up playing Legions I highly recommend the Wight BSB.

Saving one model from a crumble isn't generally going to be the difference in how much longer the unit sticks around.

Maybe I've misread it, but doesn't it both allow re-rolls on the crumble tests (within 12") AND reduced failed crumble tests by 1 wound?

Crumble tests are specifically leadership tests.

Anywho, working on TK models. Put a post in the trade section for a Casket of Souls.

I'll admit, I mainly like how they explode when destroyed. Huge fan of that sort of thing. Love how the princes and kings explode too. Highly amusing.

all those rules used to be called Crumble.

Yes.

Still, in UL, there is no test at all so you avoid it entirely.

Hmm...<re-reads entry>...yeah, looks like it does avoid it altogether. Interesting. Looks like I could actually field an undead army without any wizards via the UL list. Not sure if they'd be viable without wizards, but looks legal.

Still, not really sure it matters much. TK heirophant doesn't look too difficult to keep alive and crumble seems manageable (unless army is doomed anyway). The 6+ regen gained to unit seems like it could be pretty useful. Maybe not.

Hmmm....re-reading UL and TK books. Yeah, TK list looks plenty viable, but UL army looks much stronger. Looks like the wight king is probably a more practical BSB and is a skeleton. Might need to pick up that VC book too and go undead legions...

Also looks like the difference between the "ressurecting fallen warriors" is that character models can regain wounds from magic items in the UL list.

BTW I *love* this army idea.  I've had a dream of doing a skeleton horde since 6th edition but there was never a satisfying ruleset.  Tomb Kings was close but had too much emphasis on constructs, and VC had some great units but overall I wasn't interested in Vamps.  I can't wait to see what you build!!

That's why you go with Tomb Counts ;)

Are you modeling for an advantage?  How much of the height are you modifying because TLoS exists in WFB.

TLOS does exist.., huh. Well, I suppose could make them taller too.

Anyway, point was that I think the guys riding on the cobra hoods look silly (and not a "good" silly). That said, I do think that unit could/would be viable and it certainly fits the skeleton theme. I'll think about it more.

Ordered a tomb king on ebay:

$_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Old GW one. Not sure if I'll keep it as is, or do some sawing and pinning for a more dynamic pose.

As for other models, I'm considering this guy for a bone giant:

81GMlNmLbbL._SL1500_.jpg

I did ask online, seems model should be about the right size and comes with a "bow." I would certainly be repainting it, though my target would be a very similar design, just altering the colors to suit my army's bone color.

Last, I am certain that I want to include a few LEGO skeletons within the ranks of skeleton archers and warriors/tombguard/graveguard. Again, repainting to match bone colors.

I want a skeleton army, but it doesn't need to be an overly negative or depressing army. Visual gags are certainly appealing and a large variant of skeleton types is very much appealing.

On a side note, anyone ordered from http://fenryll.com/ before? They've got a set of "dwarf skeletons" which would be a fun addition, but with shipping, the cost is just too high for basic skeletons. Group orders or suggestions of where else to buy these would be neat.

Side note, recommendations for funny or unusual skeleton models is most certainly desired. Skeletons for each of the major warhammer races would be pretty awesome.

I also found that there is a group called "Mirliton" which sells some old sculpts of a skeleton rhino and skeleton elephant, which many online conversions exist for use as Warsphinxes.

If I wanted to play against lego's I'd just go to the lego store and purchase a ton of horses and call it a "bret" army.  Good luck getting games in with lego's in the army.

Have you read the MRB yet?  That will answer your question(s) about TLoS.  It works a ton different than 40k.  There's no 50% BS.  It's either open, soft cover, or hard cover.

Lastly, I don't think you are appreciating the hitting power of Necro Knights.  A unit of 6 can do great things.  They have poison and KB attacks in the same unit in a nice volume.  Buff that unit with some magic and it does even better.  There's a reason why a light council works with TK.

If I wanted to play against lego's I'd just go to the lego store and purchase a ton of horses and call it a "bret" army.  Good luck getting games in with lego's in the army.

Have you read the MRB yet?  That will answer your question(s) about TLoS.  It works a ton different than 40k.  There's no 50% BS.  It's either open, soft cover, or hard cover.

Lastly, I don't think you are appreciating the hitting power of Necro Knights.  A unit of 6 can do great things.  They have poison and KB attacks in the same unit in a nice volume.  Buff that unit with some magic and it does even better.  There's a reason why a light council works with TK.

Necro knights have fine rules, I dislike the wrongness of models "surfing" on the hoods of giant cobras.

In regard to legos, I don't want a whole army, or even a whole unit of them. I like the idea of mixing a few in my ranks in a where's waldo type fashion. Likewise, I want to mix reaper, RAFM, and GW skeletons to get a good variety of poses and sculpts.

As for getting games in, I don't really see the issue. Provided I paint them, there isn't much difference between this and various other conversions I've seen on this site alone. Also, if the model is supposed to be a skeleton archer and it's a lego skeleton with bow and quiver, then what is the WYSIWYG complaint? Size-wise, lego people are probably the closest toy to GW 28mm people. Using legos is actually a more expensive route...

Love the Bret army idea!,lol

I have several Lego bits in my scratch built Ork Big guns unit,plus various bits used on looted vehicles.Legos ROCK dude!

However Pax,I can see that ranking a few of the lego people figures up within your army may look more like a hasty attempt at a proxy rather than a purpose built model no matter how well you paint it heh.Though that minecraft lego figure does have some interesting parts that may make a rather goofy Bone Giant if that's what you are going for:)

Mostly skimmed it in recent history. I had a BRB when 8th launched. I read it a bunch then, so it's mostly review. I never got into it enough to fully memorize it. As I recall, units that should be logically able to fire indirectly, can't in fantasy. Archers in example. They added volley fire, but the title is misleading and just allows more ranks to fire.