Damn Bug Bit me

Threejacks

A few weeks back my oldest and I decided that it was time to sell off his DA army and switch to Blood Angels,which is an Army he wanted to try for a while anyway.So I did some Ebay listings and got the funds together for a new Dex and the Deathstorm set to start him off.But as we all know that box is full of bugs too which I was actually thinking I would sell or trade off.

That idea didn't get very far once I started checking out the sweet sculpts on the Nids plus I do like the toolbox aspect of the army and especially like the Monsterous creatures that spawn troops and that now can actually be objective secure along with the spawned troops:).

Im assembling the rest of them now so we can try out the boxed scenarios this weekend.Just started reading the Dex and have ordered up the Wrath of the Hive Mind bundle,it looks like it has a lot of usefull models in it.

So what kind of builds are hot with Nids now?,I kind prefer to play a more swarmy,objective secure troops list but I read were the Flyrant builds are pretty strong now too.

I probably wont be getting these onto the table for regular play until mid year or fall but am getting pretty stoked about the army as a whole...or maybe its just that "Hive Mind" control thing that seems to happen when ya start foolin with the bugs,lol.

Painted up my first one in the Leviathan colors:)

post-2054-0-48349900-1424399185_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Tyrants with wings, dual TL devourer, and sometimes electroshock grubs. Almost a given in any army. Malanthropes are a beefy version of a venomthrope, but are FW. Worth their weight in gold. Tourney lists are including barbed heirodules, FW, LOW option. Deep striking ripper swarms are great for holding objectives. Dakka fexs are great sources of firepower.

• Like 2

Paint looks nice

For swarm, devourer gaunts are fantastic. Stick them in ruins with a babysitting malanthrope and profit.

ill share my Las Vegas list:

Tyrant, Wings, TLBL Dev, Electro Grubs

Tyrant, Wings, TLBL Dev, Electro Grubs

Tyrant, Wings, Reaper of Oblit, Adrenal Glands, Toxin Sacs, Old Adversary

15 Gants, 10 with Dev

15 Gants, 10 with Dev

2 Mucolid spores

2 Malanthropes

1 Hive Crone

1 Mawloc

Living Artillery Node - 1 Exocrine, 3 Biovores, 3 Warriors

• Like 2

You will find one of the frustrating things about nids is the lack of assault grenades.  So our scariest melee units become worthless because people just make sure there is terrain in between them and Genestealers or Ravenours.  I have seen people having fun with the new Tyrannocyte (drop pod for Nids) loaded up with devourer gaunts.  I used to use them all the time.  

I found when I first started I would get all the biomorphs I could manage. But I have since learned that more bodies are better. 

• Like 1

OK, I realized that this starts out kind of negative, but I get to the good stuff later. Thought about reorganizing it, then decided just to add this disclaimer ;)

Nids are frustrating, because they have terrible internal balance, and several of the iconic Units are among the worst in the Dex. Largely not because of their inherent statline, but because of how that interacts with the shooting-heavy 7th Ed Rules, the Rules for Charging into Cover (Stealers, Hormagaunts, some other CC Units), or the relatively common nature of S8+ Ignores Cover firepower (IonTides and IG Lascannon Blobs and such just wreck all our T4 Multi-Wounders, not to mention so many things in CC).

It's further frustrating starting from DeathStorm, because Stealers and Warriors are among those that have issues. The DeathStorm datasheets give bonuses that can really help them, but limit you to seriously sub-optimal builds (The Stealer Brood is mostly just too small, the Warriors are both too small and have a terrible combo of weapons). The Fex as built in the box is pretty bad, too, but they have other good builds.

Then there are also a few things, like the Haruspex, that are just straight up bad. WS3 A3 is not a good baseline for what's supposed to be a terrifying CC Unit.

Tournament Nid Lists these days are largely built around the Units mentioned above, but there are a bunch more that are pretty viable in even moderately less competitive Games. Tärvigons, Hive Guard, Zoanthropes, Gargoyles, and T-Fexen (Acid Spray), for example. Then there are things like Mawlocs, Lictors, Shrikes, Hormagaunts, Warriors, and the Tyranid Prime, that are usable in niche roles, or in a list built around them.

If you're building for GarageHammer or, say, OFCC or something, Nids can do you just fine.

• Like 2

Thanx for all the info!

I don't really play the min/max game as I don't play the armies that seem to be strongest in the competitive scene so im ok with their drawbacks.I`ll probably do like I usually do and collect up all the cool looking monster models, a mass of gaunts and throw down haphazard builds that get shot of the board much like I do with my Orks,lol.