So Lictorshame Wasn't Just a Fluke

WestRider

Also, I had mentioned that it looked like that second list was short on points, and it appears that it was.  Nick Rose, darkwynn, inventor of LeafBlower, feel victim to Battlescribe sucking and was playing with a 1800 point list instead of a 1850 pt one.  What could those 50 pts have done for him?  I'm sure quite a bit.  Yikes.  

cPzjR0N.png

He also used the wrong "you're" :/

A 50 point handicap is pretty significant. I always add mine up in a spreadsheet before printing. I trust Excel formulas much more than Battlescribe, lol.

• Like 1

Not knocking Sean the tyranid player at all here.

One thing that helped him was all of the blocking line of sight terrain, especially on the top table that was broadcasted. It has a ton of places to hid the lictors, who could then bust through the wall to go after things. I wonder how he would have faired at a place like the old TSHFT (I hear the new TSHFT will have much better terrain) where there was a lot of open space ant litte place to hide.

I saw how Sean played against Nick and he did very well in making Nick go first, reserving most of his stuff, then using the comms relay to delay his stuff until after all of nicks drop pods came in.

• Like 2

Another cool thing with the Lictors is they can go to ground in ruins for a 2+ cover, then if you bring them into synapse in your next turn (easy w/ 3 Flyrants) they can still do their thing. Combine that with making Mawlocs not scatter and they have a whole lot of synergy. LVO is known for its very good terrain, so that obviously helped.

Nick's Scout army is deceptive (I played a bunch of games against it to help him test going into the event), he puts a bunch of really tough, offensive units in your face and makes you want to kill them (Centurions, Lysander/Meph Command Squad, Lascannon devs down field) but if you focus on those then the Scouts will make you pay; either by getting into twin-linked rapid fire range or just taking every objective on the board. The Scouts are also very flexible being able to infiltrate, outflank, go in the spare pod, combat squad or not...

Really just two good generals with lists they have practiced plenty with.

• Like 2

Another cool thing with the Lictors is they can go to ground in ruins for a 2+ cover, then if you bring them into synapse in your next turn (easy w/ 3 Flyrants) they can still do their thing. Combine that with making Mawlocs not scatter and they have a whole lot of synergy. LVO is known for its very good terrain, so that obviously helped.

Nick's Scout army is deceptive (I played a bunch of games against it to help him test going into the event), he puts a bunch of really tough, offensive units in your face and makes you want to kill them (Centurions, Lysander/Meph Command Squad, Lascannon devs down field) but if you focus on those then the Scouts will make you pay; either by getting into twin-linked rapid fire range or just taking every objective on the board. The Scouts are also very flexible being able to infiltrate, outflank, go in the spare pod, combat squad or not...

Nick should have a message for you from me...........ask him and let it be known.

Yeah, I experienced that fury of the scouts first hand. He got the infiltrate 3 units warlord trait and put everything into outflank reserves, then drop podded far away from my cents and knights. I should have shrouded/invised up again and let all of his stuff come int and then go after evertyhing, but went for first blood. I think that easily cost me the game and was my biggest mistake. People tell me I should have gone second, but I think I would still have lost 2 knights from his cents and other stuff.

Yeah, I experienced that fury of the scouts first hand. He got the infiltrate 3 units warlord trait and put everything into outflank reserves, then drop podded far away from my cents and knights. I should have shrouded/invised up again and let all of his stuff come int and then go after evertyhing, but went for first blood. I think that easily cost me the game and was my biggest mistake. People tell me I should have gone second, but I think I would still have lost 2 knights from his cents and other stuff.

Personally I think you should have reserved (Deep Strike) all your Knights. With that terrain he couldn't bring much to bear against what you had deployed and each Dreadknight would have killed a whole Scout squad coming in.

• Like 1

:| Stupid Lictors, I would've had him if all of my Serpents hadn't picked that one turn to be the one where they decided to whiff with absolutely everything. Fired three Serpents and four Avengers (plus miscellaneous other stuff) into them and didn't manage to do more than a wound to anything. Blargh.

No sleight on Nayden, though, he's a great player and he did played the game right. I can at least feel justified in losing to the person that everyone else lost to.

• Like 3

Didn't realized you played him. You going to post a bat rep/tourney recap on 3++ I hope?  

Yeah, gonna try to get one up. I don't have good pics- although I know that Sean was taking a fair number, so maybe look to his end for that?- but I'm gonna try and do some basic walkthroughs of my matches.

I'll wait to see AP's report, but, to me, even as a HUGE fan of Lictors, I'd say the bulk of the work was getting done by 3 flyrants.  

It's a couple things, really. It drops a lot of threats on T2 and uses the Flyrants to hammer problem units; it also relies heavily on people not having enough Ignore Cover/melee support to stop three MCs (Mawlocs) and six Lictors while still dealing with Mucolids/Spore Mines/etc. So, like any good army, target saturation is a big part of it, but it also presents diverse threats that are active almost immediately. In my case the failure of the Ignores Cover in my list plus the fact that it was Kill Points made it very hard to stop him- even at the end of the game i had a decent number of scoring units left, but he was ahead on KP and the secondaries weren't kind to me, so I couldn't really pull back ahead.

• Like 2

I'm really stoked to see a non-standard, Tyranid list take the top spot. Even more so, He was playing the game from behind most of the game.

I don't think you can blame line of sight blocking terrain, as there was an adequate, but not insane amount of it. You have to be able to adapt to any situation, including army composition and terrain layout. I think that is what makes this edition so great, there are soooo many possibilities.  I also don't think it's fair to label it spam or bemoan the 3 flying Hive Tyrants, I would argue that 3 drop pods with Ob Sec are cheaper and far more effective.

I think this match boiled down to a few Key Points:

1. Both players were very skilled and good at adapting to not only terrain, but they're opponents movements and actions.

2. Both players played 2 very unique and incredibly interesting army lists, which gives the element of surprise and the unknown.

3. Both players knew exactly how to best utilize the tools at their disposal and made very creative use of tactics. Both armies were very synchronous.

4. Finally, both players knew exactly how to capitalize on the smallest mistake and make their opponent pay dearly. I honestly think this is one of the crux arguments in this match.

It was very entertaining and I actually learned a lot, though at times it was hard to hear what was going on over the commentary.