LotR/Hobbit SBG

Darth Hamster

OK, I'll bite - what does SBG stand for?  I played LOTR years ago and enjoyed it, although it was never more than a marginal system for my gaming group.  I have collected sizable forces for Isengard and Gondor, although most languish unpainted.  I might be interested in meeting for a game sometime at GG.  I will need to dig the rules out and re-learn them to a certain extent.  

I heard a rather faint rumor that this new rules are actually going to be along the lines of the rank and flank of WHFB 8th edition,,have you heared anything about it?

Ive always wanted to do a White Hand army and perhaps Roharim/Gondor army for the freeps but the previous version of the game(prior to the current skirmish) just didnt appeal to me.Seems like it would be a perfect fit for the 8th edition fantasy type system.

Tomistokles - would be happy to join you for a game. What's a good night for you? Next weekish is a bit tight for me, but after is pretty good. I have a fair number of painted models I can loan for a game as well. You might enjoy Battle Companies, which is a small force variant of the game which allows for units to gain some experience and promote to low level heroes. Good incentive for you to get a small number of models painted :).

Three jacks - I haven't heard that the new rules will be like WHFB. LOTR was always more of a skirmish game so that wouldn't seem to be consistent with the game's history, and I think wouldn't over well with fans of the current rule set (which are pretty good). There was War of the Ring, which was a larger, unit based variant, which was closer to WHFB. Maybe that is coming back.....

• Like 1

I didn't play much WotR, so can't really comment, but it looked interesting.   I agree that the skirmish rules were excellent (and I'd say the changes with the Hobbit SBG were really good as well), but for large scale battles, it could become cumbersome to deal with the sheer number of models, so I could see the desire for a unit based set of rules.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I love this game.
I'm always up for a game.  I don't visit this forum very often so the best way to reach me is to send me some email at stephen.gingell@gmail.com and we can meet up somewhere.

I'm in Aloha but I'm happy to travel within reason.  I've got bits of all sorts of things but mostly Gondor, Mordor, and Moria.

- Stephen