Ordo BB League

savion47

Yes it is true, there will be Blood Bowl league in Portland, OR. I am posting to gather general interest from those wanting to play and thoughts on what people would like to see in a league. 

My current thoughts:

• First league should be short. I am thinking 8 games possibly followed by a 1 day tournament to determine the champion (depending on number of players we could extend the league as well, but I know that people can get burned out in this town).
  • Matches would be set up in advance by the commissioner and people would have a week to get the game in). I am messing around with rules for games that do not get completed.
  • Seeding for the tournament would be based on league results.
  • I would like to include the Khorne team from Cyanide. 
  • We will use the OBBLM. It is an online system for tracking teams, matches, stats, etc. It makes having people play games all over the city possible and easy to report.
  • League would start the week of March 30th (Monday-Sunday weeks).

Let me know if you are interested in playing. New players are definitely welcome. I am very willing to give people learning games and will be taking player familiarity into account for the first few pairings. 

Rules for the league coming by the end of the week!!!

• Like 1

rules

As to models, really just make a team out of WFB models, or frankly find out what you want to play and a guarantee one of us has a team you can borrow.

If you are a new player I suggest humans or orcs.  If you want to get adventurous, perhaps amazons or undead as they are fairly forgiving.  just be very careful some players want to start with their favorite race, which can sound fun, but some teams are a challenge to play, not due to un-balance but because of the very strategic thinking you have to have to play them.  example dwarfs, tough as nails, but their speed means you have to really plan our your moves and think many turns ahead.  Another example on the opposite side is Wood Elfs, fast and easy to do what you want, but more often that not you will be playing with a player disadvantage as your players get hurt.  Being able to score with just 3-5 elfs is doable, but you have to be good to make it happen consistently, and honestly in a game where you guys die....regularly, playing a team that is known for the way to beat them is to "beat them down", can be frustrating.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

I have played the Xbox game a lot. My affinity was with dwarves the slow turtle run. I also liked dark elves. I'm not sure how the game plays differently versus console and board. I sucked at anything above easy difficulty. I kind if got my elves to last.

Ok thanks for the rules I found the right ones.

• Like 1

The video game plays like the board game. They translated the rules very well. I actually like the video game because it allows new players to learn some basic mechanics of the game like blocking quickly by playing lots of games. I would second what Burk said above. If you have any specific questions please feel free to reach out.

Yes the video game plays like the boardgame, but a caution, the level of play vastly differs.  those of us that have been playing the board game along time...and I mean a long time, 20+ years for me now, see the videogame as not even a little bit competitive (vs computer).  the AI does not understand how to the play the game competitively.   

This is going to sound like a brag, but take it as a critique of the AI, but on the hardest level of difficulty I can count the number of games lost on one hand (of probably 500+), and usually to wood elfs.  the computer does things in the wrong order or wrong priority compared to someone who would play competitvely.  so please be aware of that.  order of operations is what BB is about.  when to move what and at what level of failure.  the computer game does not get that.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Sweet so I have a 50/50 on easy. Should be a humble league ;)

In an listening to podcasts and watch gameplay videos to get some better feel. I really like dwarves and might try that in league. I am more than willing to get steamrolled, even though I will have a steamroller ;).

Or I might go with dark elves as easier conversion ideas.

To get better on and play the pc game what team should I focus on?

When I started malifaux i sucked terribly played against a great player and got curb stomped almost 8-9 games in a row. Then I moved on to play in 5 tourneys and won all decisively. Not bragging, as I currently suck at new edition. But I am more illustrating I can weather the storm of a new game very easily. Plus I suck at video games in general I need spatial context to excel tactically.

I appreciate the feedback burk and others. I have always loved the look of the game and look forward to giving it a go.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have had a blast so far, participating in my first BB league. A special thanks to Weav for giving me a great IRL first game experience. And thank you to everyone participating, I'm having a blast. 

BB league is exactly what I needed to get my mind off waiting (paralyzed in fear) for warhammer 9th to drop :)

• Like 3