Muh First Necron Battle(s)!

Lord Hanaur

I fought Blood Angels.  Decided to test how good a Warrior list might play.  Everyone gets hopped up on happy juice about the cool things Necrons can do, but what about an army that just marches, survives and keeps coming?  Nothing fancy. 

Well I won't go through the entire battle but he seized (third time in three games hes done that) and blew up a Monolith in round one before I moved a muscle.  Bummer.  Unfortunately for him, that was the last thing he killed the rest of the game until round 5 when he finally blew up the Obelisk.  In the end, they were the two casualties in the game.

I did suffer from pretty mediocre rolls, but i had enough raw volume to make up for it.

In return, I destroyed every vehicle and left him with a unit of one Marine and a unit of 5 Marines left on the table, plus a dual Cannon Dreadnought.  I took the Reic on the bottom of round 3.

He scored First Blood, i scored the Relic, Line Breaker and Slay the Warlord.

We are trying to come up with lists to divide up the Necron codex into its component focus's and maybe do a necron invasion.  So a Canoptek, a Destroyer, a Star God and a Warriors list.  This was the Warrior type list I was trying to make.  Thoughts?

Mephrit Dynasty Resurgence Formation (Monoliths heal D6 Warriors or D3 Immortals)

200 1 Monolith

130pts 10 Necron Warriors

130pts 10 Necron Warriors

85pts 5 Immortals

85pts 5 Immortals

Combined Arms Detachment

65pts 1 Cryptek

65pts 1 Cryptek

130pts 10  Necron Warriors

Combined Arms Detachment

90pts 1 Cryptek (Mindshackle Scarabs, Solar Staff)

130pts 10Necron Warriors

130pts 10 Flayed ones

Living Tomb Formation

300 1 Obelisk

200 1 Monolith

2000 Points

• Like 1

Try limiting to 1 CAD and 1 Detachment.  See how that works.

That would mean one less Cryptek, Thats about it.  List would be unchanged other than having 66 points to spend.  Probably just more warriors.

The Obelisk can be part of a CAD, but is better when its able to auto drop turn 2.

Since Unbound is being allowed, I didn't figure it mattered how many detachments I had.

Also isn't the necron codex ser up so you could have a ton of different formations. The decurion thing?

Well yes, the Decurion is stronger in that every unit "gets" the cryptek upgrade whereas I have to pay for the Cryptek to get it.  

I personally like Objective Secured.

It wasn't a comment on OFCC or any other event.

It was simply as stated.

It give you 5 more Warriors.  That actually would work fine because it takes 14 Warriors to (statistically) strip 3 Hull Points with confidence, and it would make for a better bodyguard for the Warlord.  On the downside that's an awful lot of Warriors to protect with just two Crypteks...

The Monoliths give a pretty nice alternative to a Crypteks protection, so it's not a cataclysmic loss or anything.  

I guess in certain tournaments where they do restrict your number to 1+1, this list will work fine.

The Grey Knights, Militarum Tempestus, Dark eldar and now Necrons makes a 1+1 limitation really not awesome.  I am definitely one of those players who did not and is not excited about the effective elimination of the sanctity of the Force org as a Limiting factor to keep balance.  So don't get me wrong.  I would have loved a return to the normality of singular force orgs.  

But the Codexes are simply not written that way; and in fact the codex's sort of demand that we eventually abandon that and just deal with the reality that 7E and all its codex's are EXPLICITLY balanced with the idea of multiple detachments in most places.  I'm not lawding that fact, just observing it.

Objective Secured is really allowing this to be better than it looks.  Some power gamers really under sell Objective Secured and I really don't.  I think it is an enormously good limiter to non-CAD detachments.  As long as the company holds the line on that, I think the balance is decent enough.  I make use of Objective Secured troops and CAD's because it just has paid dividends too many times.

I got my second game in with Necrons.  I had first turn.  We played Purge the Alien, Hammer and Anvil.

I deployed a single 10 man Necron Unit with its Cryptek on the board.  He deployed everything except his Deep Striking Death Wings (3 of them).  I knew they could come in turn one so I decided to play it safe and make sure that I'd get to see where he was coming in before bringing my stuff in and obviously getting the shot off before he could assault would be wise.

i also had the Warlord Trait to manipulate my reserves so i was in really good shape.  

And.  then...  He seized the initiative...  And so this is what it looked like turn two...

Rolling perfect six's on their Move move move orders of course in the back there.

Necron%20Game%202.1.jpg

DeathWing Incoming Turn one which means in turn two, where this pic is taken, they will be charging...  All one could do is retreat and hope!

Necron%20game%202.2.jpg

Those bikes you see?  Yeah those are his Black Knights who just outflanked on me at the top of his second round.  Soooo....

Necron%20Game%202.3.jpg

To make things more fun...

In my turn two, the Obelisk mishap'd, while my second Monolith did also, so he planted the Monlith in my deployment zone of course and then the Obelisk had to go into ongoing reserve.  More good news?  For my bottom on 2, I shot him 70 times plus nine Staff of Light shots, plus the Monolith fired and killed one Terminator.  The only good news was that the Monolith i dropped in his backfield blasted a Wyvern and the Immortals who emerged finished the second one.  Still.  Tough sledding.  

On turn three He annihilated the Monolith he so conveniently placed near his terminators in my Deployment zone, which was the main thing I had to hurt his bikes there.  Yup.

Despite, shall we say, the adversity I was able to claw my way back and win 7-6.  My MVP's were the Flayed Ones and the obelisk.  Despite its delay'd arrival it really did do work once it was on the board (killed a Chimera, a Platoon Commnd and finished the Black Knights).  The Flayed ones tilted the melee against the 4+ invul guardsman in my direction round after round.

After the battle pics:

Panoramic View, Obelisk and Monolith in the middle, scrum in the back and his Deathwing assault to the fore.

photo%201.jpg

Close up of Azrael and Ezekial.  7 Dark angel wounds with 2+ saves after all their IG had fled or died, battling it out with Flayed ones, Immortals and Necron Warriors in his backfield...  I had BOTH his characters down to one wound.

photo%202.jpg

Aaaaaand in my deployment zone, two singular Terminator Sergeants fighting it out with Necron Warriors, with two more getting ready to charge if there had been a 7th round, but there wasn't.  Solar Staff was awesome in this game.

photo%203.jpg

Nope.  He really REALLY would love to beat me.

He had two Wyverns, you were right.  Big blob of death with Azrael and Ezekial.  the Terminator units (that I never killed), Black Knights outflanking, Platoon Command in Chimera and so on.

He seized (ruh roh) and dropped in round 1, and i was like "yup, time to move BACK and see if he misses the charge on turn 2."  So i did.

On turn two he moved, shot me with Black Knights plus Termies and charged me, as you'd expect.  Only one unit could get to me though.  Killed a terminator before that happened.  That kill probably saved me in the ensuing combat.  I managed to kill a Terminator but lost by 4 and held on a six.  Reanimation Protocols were all I got, so as you'd imagine, it was close.

As mentioned I had reserve manipulation, brought on all but one unit of Warriors.  Mishap'd a Monolith, Mishap'd the Obelisk.  So the good luck continued onward.  so on his top of three, after I failed epically with shooting, a Monolith died to boot.  ha!  Good times.  

I knew I could win the game if I didn't panic and do stupid things or prioritize badly.  He had enough good "minor" targets for me to concentrate my efforts on and so that's what I did.  The Solar Staff made fights a lot more fair than they would have been on a couple of important occasions.  But then that's why you take it, right?  The Flayed ones were fantastic for turning the IG blob into kibble.  Getting that charge off was a big deal.  Yay Eternity Gate.

So i stayed the course and made sure to pick up the points I knew I could get and hoped at the very end morale could hold and the shooting would improve.  The thing that made it as close as it was in the end was the fortitude of those Dark Angel characters.  I put a LOT of wounds on them, but 2+ is 2+.  It lived up to its potential against me and he managed to save both characters.  Another thing that made it closer was that his Terminators kinda did the same thing:  Lived.  Never did finish them off but getting them down to just their powersword guy was important and allowed me to hang in there in the combats.  Kinda tough when you're a single terminator against 8 Necron Warriors, when using a Powersword.  twice as tough if you're Blinded.

The score could easily have been 10-6 or even 11-6.  Both Dark Angel characters and the singular Terminator Sergeants were just taking it like champs though.  What can ya' do?  He paid for his Terminator armor and got a good return this game.  Very fun game.

Silly Chris, unorthodoxy never loses!!!

As my Haemonculus Coven thread can attest recently, i do lose some games.  Lost a couple to the new Blood Angels when that codex first dropped. 

I expect there will be losses when you're fielding essentially just Warriors and Monoliths (more or less).  The Obelisk adds to that equation, but ultimately the Warriors have to do the scoring..

We'll see how it goes.

There will be a video battle report soon, which I will post but some of you know Kingpin from his Youtube channel or may have played him.  I got a chance to play two games against him last night.  My first was my orks against his Dark Eldar.  The second was the same Necrons against his Imperial Guard.

In the Necron game, it was the single objective mission Emperors Will, no Night fight and we played with Dawn of War deployment.  Both of his blobs got the power to have 4+ invulnerable saves.  His Priests completed the package.

One thing i will say about this game.  I gained a whole new respect for Camo Netting.  He purchased it for his artillery and sitting that behind his Aegis made it SO hard to kill his artillery batteries.  I never did kill all of them and i shot at them a pretty goodly amount.

I'll link the battle report when it goes up.

• Like 1

I've been thinking about a combo of the Void Shield Generator with a Defense Line covering some artillery pieces for IG.  Having to knock down 3 AV12 shields and then get through a 3+ cover would be pretty tough.  The indirect firepower means LOS becomes less of an issue.  Not sure if it would even be ideal, but it could be pretty cool I think.  

I've been thinking about a combo of the Void Shield Generator with a Defense Line covering some artillery pieces for IG.  Having to knock down 3 AV12 shields and then get through a 3+ cover would be pretty tough.  The indirect firepower means LOS becomes less of an issue.  Not sure if it would even be ideal, but it could be pretty cool I think.  

You'd need a format that allows two forts. :(