Counts as/outdated models with current rules/WYSIWYG

Just wonder, if I have an old model with current rules and a new sculpt, can I use the old model without modifying it? Is it considered Counts as? Does it need to be WYSIYG in regards to wargear that the new sculpt has, but the old sculpt lacks?

In example, I have a Lord of Macragge model. He's in power armor and has his two power fists, but doesn't include a storm bolter or power sword. The current model is in termiantor armor and does have all the extra gadgets.

The rules for said model do have a PA version and a TDA version, so not questioning which armor he'd have.

EDIT: Original question answered, mostly a thread about using various models to represent other models, or newer incarnations of the same thing.

The only time this comes up as a problem is when the model is clearly different/smaller/more advantageous than the old one.

Example: The Eldar Avatar. The Rogue Trader version is about the size of a space marine and has a clear mechanical advantage. I would not field that model as an avatar. The FW version, on the other hand, is mechanically less good than the 'correct' version, so it is fine to field.

GW, FW, Rogue Trader

502920_sm-2nd%20Edition,%20Alaitoc,%20Av

• Like 2

The other mechanically different one that causes a lot of controversy is the old gorkamorka 'skateboard' trukk:

comp1lo.jpg

You can literally get cover from Grots with the old one.

To you original point, the power armor commander works well for the power armor current one (without the honor guard, unless you pay for them separately). It's smaller, but not ridiculously so.

To you original point, the power armor commander works well for the power armor current one (without the honor guard, unless you pay for them separately). It's smaller, but not ridiculously so.

Mine is a fair amount shorter, he is in a seated position, after all.

I often find myself having to explain to people how old they actually are.

I like the one where people comment on my "warmachine conversion" if I bring any RT dreads to the table.

Ok, how about this one. I have a super cool female inquisitor, Victorian style dress and large flintlock looking rifle (Hexrifle?). Anyone see any issues with using her as a counts-as Vindicare? She'd really fit in with my Sisters. I'm considering doing all girls for my OFCC list.

Model on the left?

Witch_Hunter_Inquisitor.gif

Not a fan of it for Vindicare, but as long as you don't have that model repeated or that weapon on any other model and are clear with your opponent, it should be fine.

Recently got a small handful of RT techmarines. Yeah, the guys with hammer/wrench+Pistol. One with an oil can/torch and pistol.

Do I need to get servo arm backpacks for these? Or would you suggest fielding them as something else?

If you fielded an entire army of 2nd edition models would it be problem? Since your scale factors wouldn't be thrown off my old rhinos and new marines? 

Personally, I don't think the model size matters that much most of the time. 

It matters for undersized/oversized MCs and vehicles regarding cover saves. It also matters a lot for undersized units which don't require LOS for their shooting attacks. It can matter with regards to moving in from reserves and for deep strike. It also matters for units/models (and transports which contain unit/models) which have effects that spread outwards from the model's base/hull.

Beyond that, it rarely has major unbalancing impacts on the game.

Shorter models hide easier, but grant cover saves to more things they shoot at. They often have more issues with LOS blocking terrain/units. This part balances itself out. Remember that LOS is needed to declare a charge, so even melee focused units are impaired if they are too short to see their enemy...

The bigger issue is when the 2nd edition models don't include weapons that the current one has. Or when they include weapons which no longer exist. This creates issues with WYSIWYG requirements.