Weathering Vehicles

deadwing34

I am wanting some good advice, links or youtube video's on weathering vehicles specifically SM Rhino's. I have done a little bit in the past but I have not been completely satisfied with the results. I have all of the new weathering paints put out by games workshop and I have a stippling brush as well. I also don't want to overdo the effects and I don't want to take forever doing them either. Any help would be appreciated.

• Like 1

What sells weathering for me is attention to placement. It should make sense in the context of vehicle activity. Soot will accrue on and around exhaust stacks. Rust will creep up from the underside. Snow will pile on higher where it's cooler. Mud will pack itself into tracks and get flung up behind track guards. And so on. Effects should tell a story. 

As for materials, I like powders and washes best for control. I agree that less is more and want to apply this stuff in very small increments. 

Finally, contrast. Realism to one side an attractive model will have strong contrasts of color and value. Weathering can be almost any color but won't really add to visual interest if its the same palette as the new vehicle. Try using some bright orange rust or green verdigris or something else that helps pop the colors. 

• Like 1

Fantastic points brought up by the posters and my post in no way, shape or form is meant to detract from their thoughts.

Don't forget about the easy-to-do effect of "battle scars" on vehicles:

1.  Black slash or blob or whatever shape painted on

2.  A boltgun metal-colorred slash painted over that, a little wrinkly to set the tone

3.  A tiny highlight of a lighter-than-the-previous-metal-color painted over that slash

And if the vehicle happens to be a metal color:

1.  White slash or blob or whatever shape

2.  Black painted over that, taking care to leave a thin, irregular white line at the bottom to give the viewer a false impression of light from above adding depth to the slash / hole / whatever

Stay safe,

don

I will be painting these Rhinos in Dark Angels Caliban green. I bought some powders and then ended up selling them because I decided I would just use traditional paints to give the effects I needed. Plus GW has some nice effect paints that I have bought as well. I am mainly looking for some videos showing some good techniques to use etc or a step by step with lots of pictures on a blog or something.

If you want some help with this, let me know in advance as to what night you will be available for game night. I can bring some supplies to get you going. And have a bunch of different techniques you may be able to try.

I will be there on Tuesday for game night around 5 again, if all goes well.

Is it best to fully paint the vehicle and then add washes and weathering etc?

This upcoming Tuesday will not be good for me to bring all of my stuff to teach you. I am going to be playing Bryan in our final league game. And to answer, yes, fully paint vehicles first. Dust and dirt collect on fully painted tanks in real life, so you'll want to mimick that effect.

This upcoming Tuesday will not be good for me to bring all of my stuff to teach you. I am going to be playing Bryan in our final league game. And to answer, yes, fully paint vehicles first. Dust and dirt collect on fully painted tanks in real life, so you'll want to mimick that effect.

This.  Paint your vehicle showroom new first, then add weathering.  If you were working on a display piece I'd say different, but for a gaming model follow Chap.

Are you sure Tuesday won't work? For a general of your caliber it should only take a few minutes to table Bryan's army right....haha!

It might be best for me to paint up my Rhinos first then before I get some advice.

Are you sure Tuesday won't work? For a general of your caliber it should only take a few minutes to table Bryan's army right....haha!

It might be best for me to paint up my Rhinos first then before I get some advice.

No no. Bryan is a canny warrior who I respect in every way. I can truly say that our conclusion will be epic! But the Tuesday after league final, I will pack up my kit and bring it for helping. Remind me Sunday or Monday prior so I will remember.