San Juan Islands

You'd think I would have good advice on this, but I generally head to the Peninsula when I stay within the state for vacation.  I can tell you that the Lake Crescent Lodge in the off season is [big bad swear word]ING amazing, but advice for the San Juans, all thread BS aside, I'm sorry Ando, I have no advice to give.  But if you make it up to Bellingham, give us a shout and we can do lunch or something. 

• Like 1

I just took the girlfriend to Friday Harbor for Valentine's Day and we really enjoyed it. I was surprised at how affordable it was there.

Absolutely GORGEOUS drives and plenty of hiking out there. Plus a bit of history there with a war that almost broke out between the British and American settlers over a wayward pig getting shot leading to opposing bases set up on opposite sides of the island. The british one is way nicer.

Also there's a camel named Mona that lives on the island. She likes bananas apparently.

I have always liked Orcas Island myself. There are some great yurt rentals for those on a budget. Plenty of B&Bs and then hotels if needed. My favorite trip actually was one where we rented a house and split it with some friends. East sound is the biggest "town" on orcas. You can hike my constitution and if it is a clear day see for miles, all the way to the 'ham.

Logistics wise try to leave for the island on a Thursday and leave on a Monday. That way you can dodge the bad weekend ferry traffic.

On orcas there is a great resteraunt for about eat here:

http://www.innatshipbay.com/dining_events.html

We always make sure to budget for one fancy meal here, though if I recall they shut down for part of the slow winter.

Been to San Juan lots too, take a bicycle and your it. Some grey B&Bs! Plus wine tasting, laid back, but not the same as Orcas in my opinion, more people with big $ and big boats visible.

And on the topic of mathletic, I graded some of intrinzics math adventures at the U! He is a my mathelete!

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.