Why should I have a Tournament Format

alexcragg

I am looking at the Formats (restrictions) used in the current 40k scene.  And I wonder, why all the extra goof off nonsense - why can't we just play whatever lists we want based on the main rulebook?  Unbound, multiple detachments, 40k approved forgeworld.

So I ask you to pose armies that are outside of the ITC format that are so bad you NEED those restrictions to make the game fun/fair.

Thanks

• Like 1

I am looking at the Formats (restrictions) used in the current 40k scene.  And I wonder, why all the extra goof off nonsense - why can't we just play whatever lists we want based on the main rulebook?  Unbound, multiple detachments, 40k approved forgeworld.

So I ask you to pose armies that are outside of the ITC format that are so bad you NEED those restrictions to make the game fun/fair.

1850pts Unbound List

1 Wave Serpent (TLScatter, Holofields, Shuriken Cannon)

1 Wave Serpent (TLScatter, Holofields)

1 Hornet (2 Pulse Lasers)

1 Lynx (Scatter Laser)

1 Hive Tyrant (2 TL Devourers)

Could probably sneak an Inquisitor in there if you tried.

1850pts Unbound List

20x 1 Wraith (Whip Coils)

1 Wave Serpent (TLScatter, Holofields)

1 Void Shield Generator (2 extra Shields)

Twenty Wraiths rushing you isn't normally problem, but it is when every single one of them is its own unit. This one could also potentially field a Lynx, depending on what you see the meta being.

1850pt Unbound list

20x1 Wraith (Whip Coils)

1 Lictor

1 Lictor

1 Lictor

1 Lictor

44x1 Mucolid

1 Aegis Defense Line (Comms Relay)

An extension of the above. How many things can you kill in one turn- is it sixty-five? No? Then get ready to be charged by a metric ****load of S8 AP3 large blasts next turn. Lictors are for bringing them in without scatter where you need them- might be best to bring one or two more, but this is a concept moreso than a perfected list. Note that this list is also hilariously powerful against flyers/FMCs.

I don't doubt there's some other ridiculous lists you could come up with aside from the above, but the point remains: Unbound is dumb. Really dumb. It just opens up too many incredibly stupid possibilities the game just isn't designed to deal with. You can make an argument for unlimited, or much less-limited detachments, but Unbound remains firmly within the boundary of "casual games with approval from opponent only" unless you want the game to devolve even further than it already has.

• Like 1

You can play with unbound but you have to make missions to deal with all the eggs in one basket approach. Adepticon gladiator used missions with things like stasis missiles and vortex grenades. You could play where if you deep strike you mishap if you don't hit or lightning storm where all flyers get hit with bs1 d6 strength 9 ap2 hits. If the list isn't balanced you stand a good chance of losing a mission.

Go ahead and show me a mission that solves the "problem" of all the lists I posted, plus the one Fluger talked about, and also stops people from abusing superheavies.

Mission: Capture the widget

Rules: Use the BAO list setup rules when designing a list for this mission

I WIN!

• Like 1

Go ahead and show me a mission that solves the "problem" of all the lists I posted, plus the one Fluger talked about, and also stops people from abusing superheavies.

Well 2/3 of the lists you posted are illegal, aren't they? Wraiths come in units of 3 minimum and Unbound doesn't change that, right? It says use whatever units in your collection but it doesn't change unit composition. Likewise, since the Eldar Codex doesn't have its transports in Fast slots, I don't think you could field the Serpents like that either... so 3/3 illegal?

Well 2/3 of the lists you posted are illegal, aren't they? Wraiths come in units of 3 minimum and Unbound doesn't change that, right? It says use whatever units in your collection but it doesn't change unit composition. Likewise, since the Eldar Codex doesn't have its transports in Fast slots, I don't think you could field the Serpents like that either... so 3/3 illegal?

My list is legal!  You can bring just a single Slyyth per Archon Retinue and you can take a single inquisitor and a unit of mysics in an Inquisitorial detachment and just have unlimited numbers of them.  Hell, it isn't even Unbound!  

You are right on the Wraiths- I was thinking they were still minimum one. Could probably do something similar with Destroyers or Heavy Destroyers instead, although I'm not sure if it would be as ideal.

The fact that Wave Serpents aren't available as FA is irrelevant. You ignore the normal constraints of unit slots in Unbound, which means you can freely select Dedicated Transports (or other "attached" units that normally require something else to unlock their use) freely. You could, for example, select Plague Zombies from the Renegades list without taking a Dedication to Nurgle, or a unit of SM Servitors without purchasing a Techmarine.

Thanks

If you have a good group of reasonable players, no, you don't need a format. If you plan an event which allows people you don't always get along with, formats are helpful to keep things civil.