Lord of Skulls question

Pretty simple, but complex applications. Lord of Skulls is a super heavy walker that can make tank shock/ram/thunderblitz attacks.

Can I charge after preforming tank shock?

I can't find any rules on this at all. Nothing in the ITC FAQ or the GW one.

As I read it, the implied answer is YES, but nothing directly says this. I think this is an unique situation to this model.

Yes it is something different about him

1 he can tank shock up to 12"

2 tank shock is not slowed by difficult

3 nothing says you can not charge after a tank shock.

Thunderblitz shoot then charge.

The lord of skulls is so many points. He needs all the power he can get.

Thanks.

Totally agree he's expensive. One of those models where I think they picked the points prior and made rules to fit those points, rather than trying to get the points to balance the rules as I feel how most units are constructed.

That said, he's very awesome and I think I'm going to get one (though it won't a "khorne" lord of skulls when I'm done with it). I don't think he's underpowered, though I do think that the Initiative 3 will be a challenge with Imperial Knight I:4 D weapon melee swings.

I played the lord of skulls in two events in the last 4 months. He is completely underpowered when compared to other lords of war and most armies have no problem punching through his armour or tieing him up in close combat.

Was the player playing well? Or did it just seem like they didn't know what they were doing? Did you think they were just taking the OP-looking units to cover up the fact that they didn't know what they were doing?

I have certainly seen the difference between players that field good units and players that play good units well.

Also, which weapons did they take and how did they use them?

The one time I played against one I had good luck feeding it minor units to draw it away from the majority of the objectives on the board and otherwise ignored it, focusing on objectives and the remaining enemy units.  It wrecked shop on my fodder-units one-by-one, but that isn't saying much when it is charging 5 tac marines or some scouts.  Killing it didn't seem unreasonably difficult or anything, but with the terrain and my list at the time it made best sense to just focus on other targets and priorities.

The one time I played against one I had good luck feeding it minor units to draw it away from the majority of the objectives on the board and otherwise ignored it, focusing on objectives and the remaining enemy units.  It wrecked shop on my fodder-units one-by-one, but that isn't saying much when it is charging 5 tac marines or some scouts.  Killing it didn't seem unreasonably difficult or anything, but with the terrain and my list at the time it made best sense to just focus on other targets and priorities.

Seems like the Lord of Skulls could bypass the feeder units by tank shocking them out of the way, allowing it charge bubbled units and such. Though I do think some of the weapon options are really lacking, in general.

One of my games against it was similar. Opponent didn't understand the model and you could just ignore it. He also didn't bring any AA, so the flyer could just zoom until a good shot presented itself.

At Tshft in January

1st game lord of skulls survived but rest of army got shot off board by eldar

2 nd game made a 12" charge into a knight and ate d.

3rd game got typhon to shake him so he could not shoot.

4th game got thunder hammered by bike lord.

5th game surived lost rest of army.

Sure the rest of my army was not great but when compared to say a warhound he is not as good.

He did better at the harvester where I had better supporting army. Invisible, true named khornedozer is way tougher.

At Tshft in January

1st game lord of skulls survived but rest of army got shot off board by eldar

2 nd game made a 12" charge into a knight and ate d.

3rd game got typhon to shake him so he could not shoot.

4th game got thunder hammered by bike lord.

5th game surived lost rest of army.

Sure the rest of my army was not great but when compared to say a warhound he is not as good.

He did better at the harvester where I had better supporting army. Invisible, true named khornedozer is way tougher.

"Typhon" shakes him? How exactly are you shaking this model? Super heavy, so doesn't get shaken normally via the damage table. Got daemon possession too, so should be able to dismiss it on 2+, even if they change the super heavy rules so he can be shaken.

Agree warhound is better, though I think the warhound isn't legal most places as a LoW. In gerneral, warhound needs a rules revisit, as those arm weapons should not all have the same point cost.

Not very impressed with that scorpion, other than the beautiful model. It's got the same initiative issues as the Lord of skulls, but lower WS, no D melee weapon, and similar or worse weapon options. It is cheaper and has the same HP, daemon rule, and IWND. The stomp bonus is neat. Another drawback is that due to the model's appearance, it would be hard to hide a techmarine/warpsmith out of TLOS and behind it, due to the legs.

Scorpion also perils any friendly psykers, making it hard to get any psychic buffs.

The scorpion is a pretty model, no question. Would probably get one if both cheaper and not FW (FW's just not welcome everywhere).

The typhon's gun shakes super heavys. I totally forgot about possession since he never shakes. All the tourneys that allow lords of war allow forgeworld from what I have seen. They just limit D shooting.

What is the Typhon? I've been trying to find the weapon in question.

I know there is a FW tank in IA 2 and IA13 which exists, the Typhon Heavy Siege Tank, but it does not feature a weapon which does what you say.

The Cereberus Heavy Tank Destroyer, maybe what you are thinking of, forces penetrated super heavies to snap, but does not "shake" them. Perhaps this is what you are thinking of?

Well, snap.  The LGS has like 3 of them, all at 35% off.  I was tempted to pick one up the other day.  I'm tempted to get at least two of them.  This thread has made me far less likely to pick up two.  I was thinking combine one with a Knight to make a Chaos Knight, and use the wheels for a Tower of Skulls or Doom Blaster.  The other, I would build a Lord of Skulls with.  

Hmm.

The Lord of Skulls is expensive for what it does, but does at least hit pretty hard for the most part. Its ranged weapons are actually fairly solid, but tend to be a bit specialized compared to those carried by some other superheavies. However, it's a beast against infantry and it at least has more attacks than most superheavies, making the lack of Stomp a little bit less problematic. The biggest issue is actually the fact that it is I3, meaning it swings after Knights, Dreadnoughts, many MCs, etc, but good use of terrain can mitigate that issue and the innate 5++ save is not to be discounted- with benefit from the Grimoire of True Names, Cursed Earth, or Invisibility it can be very inconvenient for many enemies.

But the Brass Scorpion is mostly just better, it's true.

It was the Cerberus heavy tank destroyer. It doesn't shake you can only snap fire. As both of my weapons can't snap fire it made him useless on shooting.

Yeah, got one for my Minotaurs. It's a cool tank and it specializes in shutting down most of the other super heavy shooting phases, as most rely on blast or template weapons for most of their damage. Pretty cheap too, for a super heavy. That said, the Cerberus Heavy Tank Destroyer is unlikely to destroy the Lord of Skulls on it's own, more likely, the CHTD will shut down your shooting long enough for other units to destroy the Lord of Skulls.

But the Brass Scorpion is mostly just better, it's true.

Just curious, why is the brass scorpion better? Is it just a cost thing? He's got the same I3 issues. Very similar attacks and weapons.