Terry Pratchett has passed away

Dreg

One of the beauties of the series really...

He has several different "stories" within Discworld.  The City Watch is one such "story".  Their first book is Guards! Guards!.  

Now, as the books progress, yes, there will be character cross over (DEATH is there, a lot), but each perspective story is pretty easy to follow.

Here is a good link for reference

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld

They put them as Groups.

So you can see, if you want to read the City Watch, start with Guards! Guards!

Then Men at Arms, Feet of Clay, Jingo, etc...

Started with Small Gods, myself.

As mentioned, order really doesn't matter. Thinking of it as a series is misleading, it's more like a setting based set of mostly unrelated books - they are related, but not as sequels or series normally are. Reading them out of order can be very enjoyable, too.

In the YA realm, look for some specific ones...  There's a collection about Tiffany Aching (Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky and I Shall Wear Midnight).  There's also the Nome Trilogy and the Johnny Maxwell Trilogy.

Other portions of the Discworld stuff may have too many references that will be lost on kids.  Read them yourself (you'll find them hilarious) and then decide if your YA will get it or not.

Other portions of the Discworld stuff may have too many references that will be lost on kids.  Read them yourself (you'll find them hilarious) and then decide if your YA will get it or not.

He's pretty good in keeping context, so if you miss a reference, you can still have a firm grasp on what  was meant.

He's pretty good in keeping context, so if you miss a reference, you can still have a firm grasp on what  was meant.

I agree but they're just not as engaging if you don't get the references and the last thing you want to do is turn your YA *off* Terry Pratchett because it was just another story...

I should have mentioned above, the Tiffany Aching books are part of the Discworld series but the other two are not set in the Discworld.  (Neither is Good Omens but that has decidedly more adult themes and needs to be screened before being handed to a YA.)

• 1 month later...

True story, when i read this topic title, I had an "OMG, how could that have happened moment".   

Then I read some say "we knew it was coming"....and I am like WTF?  what did I miss why would we expect Terry to be in bad health?

Ahhh, the realization hits, I was thinking of the wrong Terry......

My Terry:

Terry-Crews-Old-Spice-german.png

• Like 1