Why the End Times is stupid

I wish GW weren't so lazy. The ending of the End Times is just pure trash. It doesn't make any sort of sense from a story point of view. Why does Chaos destroy the world? How much blood is Khorne going to get from it now? Diseases for Nurlge? Pleasures for Slaanesh? Hey Tzeentch, how often does nothing change? What exactly did the chaos gods get out of its destruction other than a total and complete loss of everything they desire.

Also, why aren't they doing it in the 40K universe? Why are there thousands of planets within the eye of terror? Why aren't those all destroyed too? Wouldn't it have made more sense if the world had become a deamon world...like the ones in the Eye? No..it tears apart and all is lost except for one little speck of light. (gag)

Instead of invalidating every customer's model collection for warhammer, maybe they could have simply added something new and gone from there. But no, they chose to be lazy and dumb.

• Like 1

Instead of invalidating every customer's model collection for warhammer, maybe they could have simply added something new and gone from there. But no, they chose to be lazy and dumb.

Two things:

1) We have a thread for this, don't we: http://www.ordofanaticus.com/index.php?/topic/24219-spoiler-the-end-of-end-times/

2) There is no confirmation that this 'invalidates every customer's model collection'. For all we know, as I said in the other thread, we will be playing 30 minutes to midnight for the next edition.

No, you have a thread on End Times...mine is on how End Times is stupid....see..they are different. You could be playing warhammer from 1st edition...but you aren't. You are playing from 8th because that is what GW supports. Do you think GW will continue to support those armies? I don't and neither do you. Hence, they are, or soon will be, invalid.

No, you have a thread on End Times...mine is on how End Times is stupid....see..they are different. You could be playing warhammer from 1st edition...but you aren't. You are playing from 8th because that is what GW supports. Do you think GW will continue to support those armies? I don't and neither do you. Hence, they are, or soon will be, invalid.

No, I mean, for all we know 9th edition is '30 minutes before midnight'. After all, the end times blurb said something like it could all end in an instant or in a thousand years.

There were plenty of rumors of 'bubble hammer' meaning that forces continued to fight even as the worst happened. 

TLDR: Let's wait until the actual new edition comes out before complaining that all our armies are invalidated.

Well to address your points for the story Chaos hates reality and is always trying to destroy it. But up till last year there was no build up and no storyline that lead up to this. It was rushed and felt very forced in a lot of places and felt like it was not how they planned to end it at all but business issues with the Chapter House case, dropping sales (which can be relegated to the lack of attention WHFB got over the years.) and other competitors out selling WHFB. But this move was very drastic and is unpresidented for a Miniature game. The only comparison I can think of is when Vampire the Masquerade when the third generation awoke. Who plays VtM now? No one.

Also the story had bad writing elements that run against what makes a good story. There should be a challenge that is faced and the swing of power should change hands at least once, but Chaos held on to that power.

So even if the story was from the Chaos prospective they had no real challenges so there was no issues to conquer. So it does not fall within the classic Drama formula at all and it sure was not a comedy.

Secondly from what I have been hearing several of the key factors that lead to the rift opening were the Hero's attempts to stop Archaon and their sacrifice only made things worse. That's just bad story writing. Not to mention one of the factors was the Grimgore was a latent psyker that no one knew about. Umm... psyker? Not only is tha lame forced reasoning but Psykers are a 40K issue, not a fantasy issue. (Those who can wield magic are a threat but they are not psykers.)

Also they tried to tie off love stories for several characters that don't belong in a story like this.

I could go on but I haven't read the book myself yet but it just looks like a forced story to justify their business move which is a Huge risk that will behard to pull off.

Let's see if they can do it.

VTM got bought by a weird company and rebooted. I think that's a bit of a different issue.

Point, but this is uncharted waters for gaming. A good writer and rules set might be able to pull it off. But this is GW we are talking about. Their company depends on keeping its current players to hold it up, new players will not flock to them and they have a bad rep with almost everyother player from other game systems. Thise who play Warmahordes were GW players that left GW games behind becuase they got tired of GW's crap. (Played Warmahordes for several years and I didn't know any players besides one that still had a desire to play GW games.)

I am not sure GW made a smart choice. But I have been wrong before.

I'm looking forward to scooping up some great rage-quit lots cheap!

Imperial Guard with fluffy shirts, Resurrected skeleton Necrons, the conversion possibilities are endless.

BWA HA HA HAAAA!!

Some of us complaining are also going to be one of the first to try 9th out. Just becuase some of us are not happy now doesn't mean we will be leaving for good.

But there will be a couple of rage quits.

• Like 2

I cant help but agree to some extent that the series is a bit on the stupid side,only because its so extreme in destroying all past named players and the world itself.

Though its a fantasy setting so players die and resurrect/return like weeds,I guess worlds can do that too,why not?

What would we be discussing if it was the other way around?..the good guys win and evil is reduced to some toothy grinning face orb thing floating around in nothingness while the good nations all retire into seemingly eternal peace with no more wars needed,that sounds pretty lame as well for a wargame setting,lol.

I would have preferred that they not leave it looking so destroyed at this point,actually im surprised they did,I think they should have added another chapter and at least hinted at the groundwork for the future of the universe.Some human essence orb thing floating around behind the backs of the Chaos Gods is not very encouraging for the future of the game at this point.They have to know that's not really good for short term sales.

I also don't get the argument about why chaos wouldn't want to destroy the world. In the big picture, they destroy worlds all the time. There's a nigh infinite number of worlds and an infinite amount of time, once they get all they want out of a world why wouldn't they move on?

The Chaos powers don't want utter destruction, they want to feed off of emotions. They have specific ways to advance their agendas and get their jollies. They thrive on conflict, not a void.

Caveat: I haven't kept up with the End Times plotline.

You're missing the point. The old world is just that, just one world. There's a whole universe out there.

I also don't get the argument about why chaos wouldn't want to destroy the world. In the big picture, they destroy worlds all the time. There's a nigh infinite number of worlds and an infinite amount of time, once they get all they want out of a world why wouldn't they move on?

I am with you here 100%. I just don't think it should be that easy to destroy a whole reality though. And in honesty if you remember Storm of Magic it wasn't, but Chaos players complained becuase they only destroyed half of the Empire and that was not enough. (Seriously if you read the WHFRP 2nd Ed the Empire was severely crippled and struggling to stay together. Most of the population was killed and it looked like many different factions were going to take advantage of that.)

These events in end times where not an intended part of the story line yet from all fluff leading up to here, they just pushed it throw to make a change in business plan.

But back to the point Chaos hates reality and mortals in it and are looking to end the realities they come across.

I came across this NPR bit about how Magic The gathering has remained sustainable over the years... It is interesting how some of the principles could apply to Warhammer.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2015/03/11/392381112/episode-609-the-curse-of-the-black-lotus

This!

Not gonna go too much into my backround with MTG but I will tell you that I started during Arabian Nights..the first expac and played actively in tournaments and regionals up until the Legends release then cooled on it until recent years.Now just my oldest boy is playing and builds sparring decks I run to help him out.

What WoTC has done with the game to keep it going is quite amazing really.Their main tool is controlling the formats in which the game is played,this helps to keep card values varied and robust over time.

Just since last fall ive been selling off my near full collection of dual lands on Ebay and at local shops.These cards go for a low of about 35.00 up to my highest of 143.00 for a Tropical Paradise on Ebay,and these are in good but NOT even near mint condition.The reason these cards are going so well??....the new "commander" format tournament scene were most ALL cards ever printed are allowed in play though the deck can only have one each maximum.My boy loves this format too so hes using a few in his current deck.

Ive also sold my original mtg collectors edition a couple years ago(to jump into 40k) for 925.00.Even though they have square corners and cant be used in regular deck builds they can be used with a proxie, in the unlimited format.Even today that collectors edition can easily grab 1500-2k..I was just impatient and wanted plastic Orks!.

I think your article is VERY relevant as to the direction GW could go here..and I hope they do head in this direction,that being control the formats in which we play the game.Keep 8th as the main old school tournament/competition format and add in a more "new player" friendly format such as the skirmish or small size fights.Even if several models are removed from production that will just make the ones out there shoot up in value as 8th remains the mainstay in competitive circuts.The new sprues could be used for both formats of course but wont likely be as race/army specific.

It may just be that there wont be any "Army Dumps" going on down the road.If they play this right they could end up with a fresh burst of sales on the new product line and the long time player base could have a much more valuable collection down the line.

I guess if it plays out like this then this End Times stuff wont have been so stupid after all!