Codex: Khornekin

pretre

Jesus.  You're wailing and bemoaning a book that hasn't even been released, that we don't know all the rules for, and that no one has played a single game with.  People are psyched for a new book and a new way of playing and to "have fun" and all you can do is rain on the parade.  Maybe you could allow people a single day to be excited before implying they are fools for feeling that way.  

Yeah, that's right. Any kind of opinion about a book that is anything less than "I HAD A LITERAL ORGASM JUST FROM THINKING ABOUT THE CONCEPT OF THIS ARMY" is nothing but negative-nancy worrywarting, and GW's long history of screwing up rules and making mediocre releases should just be totally ignored because omg u can run CSM and demons together !!111aa1!!1112 also they put the word blood into a rule!1111111

You're allowed to have your pollyanna positive opinions just like I'm allowed to have my more cynical one about the likelihood of an all-foot army that relies wholly on melee and has no protective special rules doing well in games. But hey, 50/50 chance either of us is right, right? Right.

• Like 1

Jesus.  You're wailing and bemoaning a book that hasn't even been released, that we don't know all the rules for, and that no one has played a single game with.  People are psyched for a new book and a new way of playing and to "have fun" and all you can do is rain on the parade.  Maybe you could allow people a single day to be excited before implying they are fools for feeling that way.  

I don't think you  know what the internet is for... :wink:

• Like 3

You mention the problem of deepstriking, doesnt the charnal court kinda metagate that?

Potentially, yes, but it still doesn't really help you get into combat because you've got to keep stuff on the table and alive (so you don't get tabled), succeed your reserve rolls (likely necessitating a Comms Relay) and have the HQ themselves end up where you want them to- and then you're still looking at a bunch of units on foot trying to assault the enemy (albeit ones that start a lot closer than they otherwise might.)

You're better off than you would be with a CAD, but you're giving up the opportunity to take other formations and it locks you into a particular subset of choices from an already-limited book.

Picked mine up, too. I'm thinking that AP is underrating the blood tithe table a bit. Army wide FNP? The base formation isn't too bad if kept cheap, and rhinos count.

Don't get me wrong- Blood Tithe, as an ability, is quite strong. The Ld check on the top two results is a bit annoying and probably didn't need to be there, but the mid-tier ones that not a lot of people are talking about are actually quite strong. Rage/FC, FNP, summoning solid units, etc, are all potentially very strong abilities and the formations give some very significant bonuses (1 free Tithe per turn and get a second lesser Tithe for free are both amazing.)

The problem is that in order to use any of that great stuff, you have to either be getting into melee combat or losing significant numbers of models of your opponent's choice. Generating Blood Tithe is the problem, not what you do with it once you have it, because the only ways you can generate it in a controlled fashion are by getting into combat, which the codex is not actually very good at.

There are two things that could potentially serve as redeeming factors- if you do, indeed, get Blood Tithe for any character regardless of how they are killed, that helps a ton (since it essentially means you're getting two Tithe per unit, not just one.) However, due to the wording of the rules and a number of other factors I doubt that was intended to be the case and the rule certainly isn't clear either way, so it will require a FAQ. Secondly, if Khornekin gets access to all of the IA13 and other Forge World stuff for Chaos, that makes them significantly strong, since it gives them access to a LOT more tools that they are otherwise lacking. However, once again I find this to be unlikely (though not impossible), so I'm of the feeling that the codex is going to be rather flat overall.

From eyeballing the points, it looks like it would be pretty easy to run two Blood Host detachments (in events where multiple of the same detachment are allowed).  That would give you +2 Blood Tithe per turn.  The tax of 2 min units of possessed would have to be paid, however.

Yeah, you could easily fit two of most any of those detachments; the "get a free Tithe" one also has some shenanigans since if you were to, say, get a Daemon Prince you could also get two units of Bloodcrushers or the like, as each formation's ability is separate. However, you're paying a pretty hefty tax in either case- for the Blood Host, for example, you need to take not only a unit of Possessed (who are pretty weak) but also two units of CSM/Berzerkers/Bloodletters, all of whom are quite mediocre. So you're sinking 350+pts into a bunch of units you don't really want twice, and then you get to start considering the things that are actually useful to your plan.

How does this work since I never have used deepstrike on a fly monstrous creature.

You deep strike which says you are swooping.

So can you go to gliding in your movement and charge next turn.

Or do you deepstrike and pick goobers

Go to gliding next turn

And be able to charge the next turn.

So if you deepstrike bloodthirster on turn 2 can you charge turn three or do you have to wait until turn 4?

You have to wait until Turn 4.

- Turn 2: Deep Strike. You are Swooping for this Turn.

- Turn 3: You change Flight Mode to Gliding. Because you changed Flight Mode, you can't Charge this Turn.

- Turn 4: Because you're Gliding and did not change Flight Mode, you can now Charge.

Note that it's based on Player Turns, not Game Turns, so if you get Grounded in your Opponent's Turn, you can then Charge in your own following Turn.

Wondering. You think daemonology summoning power (possession) will allow these guys, or if they are somehow exempt from that power? It is true that daemonology specifically only summons the daemons from codex: daemons.