Beastmen 2.0

Same old Beastmen, brand new thread!  Since apparently a certain person demands it.

The beasts are back, and ready to take some names.  The list i put together for OFCC last year was lots of fun, but was about as sturdy as a plastic bag.  It could be strong, but was completely rolled over by many armies, and was always an uphill battle.  This time I'm going to bring some of the more powerful toys at my disposal and see how things go.  The allowance of 50% lords and heroes is a big boon to the beast book, as it allows to to fit in more fighting power without sacrificing magic.  The lords section is easily the most powerful part of the beast book, and I plan to take advantage of it. 

The other cool thing is that now beasts can get access to marks!   Oh the humanity!!!  While I think the idea of beasts getting to roll on the chaos doom table in the magic phase is stupid, I can accept it for how much marking certain units benefits the army.  On top of that, it gives all the more sweetness to my already-existing nurgle theme.  

The next event coming up omits the end times (other than updated gw faqs), so I will be running them unmarked for the time being.  This is the list I'm planning to run for Rose City Wrath.

Doombull (General) - Gnarled Hide, Sword of Swift-Slaying, Dawnstone, Ramhorn Helm, Shield

Doombull - Magic Carpet, Talisman of Preservation, Charmed Shield, Great Weapon

Great Bray Shaman - Talisman of Endurance, Fencer's Blades, Jagged Dagger, Level 4, Beasts/Death/Undeath

Wargor - BSB, Beast Banner, Heavy Armor, Shield

Bray Shaman - Herdstone, Shadow

Bray Shaman - Chalice of Dark Rain, Shadow

Bray Shaman - Dispel Scroll, Shadow

50 Gors - Extra Hand Weapons, Full Command

31 Ungors - Full Command

5 Raiders

5 Raiders

Razorgor Chariot

Razorgor

Razorgor

5 Harpies

2499 points

So far I've gotten one game in against Fixxer's Skaven.  I got a very solid win, but to be fair luck was against him from the start of the game to the end.  Tactics are mainly just to push forward, eliminate shooting threats, and try to suppress scary units with miasma and death-sniping.

I have to get a little painting done to get the list ready, but it's mostly done.  A few nurglings as ungor, the three bray shamans, and the rambull.  The shamans are all modeled up, primed and ready for the painting table.

photo%204.jpg

And I am ordering in this guy as the start for my rambull.

aow52_blister.jpg

I'll build him on on a special base to give him some extra height and will be giving him a head-swap.  But I like the idea of him as the heavily-armored, commanding presence type as opposed to the flying doombull who is huge and out of control.  If it doesn't work out in the end, I have plenty of nurgley models I can use to make a different one. 

That's that for now.  I officially challenge everyone!!

• Like 2

YES!

This list is awesomely effective. I got my ass kicked by it the other night pretty good. Now, nothing went well for me at all. I think I failed everything I could have.... honestly, it was ugly.

With that said, I dont want to take anything away from Evan and his play/ army list. Well constructed list with tricks, the chalice of dark rain is an epic FU to armies that need to shoot off threats early, that mixed with some powerful magic phases, this army is well rounded and will certainly compete.

Way to rock Beastmen! 

• Like 3

i think my favorite thing in the book is razorgor.  sure you have to be careful because of ld6, but they are such a fun piece.  must be something with me liking single model chaff :biggrin: .  i think what makes you a good beastmen general is you use that chaff so well.  this seems like a fun list!  this is the model i just got for my birdbull/DP.... ill give you a game soon with dwarfs if you want.  ill be bringing the stunties to rose city...

http://sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?art=652#i/54mm/big/Stagedon06.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks, Matt!  You definitely had crap for luck, but I agree that this list has a lot of potential.

Nate, that's a sweet model!  Scibor makes amazing stuff, I'm glad to have so many of their snail models.  I totally agree about razorgor, they are one of the best units point-for-point in the book.  If you ever have room in you legions list try to fit in razorgor chariots, they are freaking brutal.

The face just doesnt do it for me on that Scibor model

yea its a little like the LotR shapeshifter and a bit non-bull style but i think thats why i like him as kind of a 'beastmen-style daemon prince'.  i can definitely see how it doesnt appeal to people, but it does to me and i got it on 40% off so it was worth it.  the detail scibor has on their models is just amazing...

I realized that I have an awesome doombull model sitting on my shelf, so I saved a few bucks there.   All he needs is a good set of armor.

http://sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?art=1194#i/2012/big/butcher_p_01.jpg

This should do nicely for spaulders, chest, helm, new weapon, and a couple shield options.

armorbits.jpg

I will clean up all the bits and try to spray them all tonight so I can start putting him together.

So what have you been running with the level 4 so far? Personally I like beasts with the others on shadow. I am sort of over death at this point. It's a solid lore, but just tired of it.

I saw undeath as one of your possible ideas. Any specific reason why? Seems a wast of a lvl 4 to chuck out chaff, especially in an army with do much available already. You looking more at the bigger beasties?

I ran death for the first game, and I plan to run it for at least a handful more games.  The reason is that I ALWAYS run lore of beasts, and I need to get a feel for the lore to see if it makes more sense with this list.  If I decide to go back to beasts I am not missing out on anything, the lore is solid and incredibly so with the beastmen army.

Undeath just sounds like fun.  The summoning is useful for redirecting and adding a bit of shooting to an otherwise range-impared army, but hand of dust and soul stealer are actually really solid spells.  A great bray shaman with fencer's blades and primal fury will hit almost every time with hand of dust, making him a huge problem for characters and mosters. 

Still, its just an idea.  Death or beasts will likely be the way to go.  I could go 100% shadow, but that's boring :)

• Like 1

Stick with death for a while. It's a nice lore and with the attribute you add more devestation to the magic phase. You get access to great snipes. The only problem is is low LD for the SIG spell and the range of the others usually puts youin charge distance. However, in your case, you have a large block of goes to back up a wizard who's not easy to kill in close combat. It's a great lore for your army. I don't think beasts is a s crucial with the razorgors and double bulls.

Love the bits choice for the Rambull. Might nick it if I feel the urge to make another doomie myself....

A bit on LoU: I ran it in my mostly-beasts BSB list with a Herdstone and it was pretty killer. Unfortunately I wasn't practiced enough to properly utilize it, but if you're thinking that all it does is summon chaff then you're in for some pain. The real pain it brings is that it gives beasts a usable shooting phase pretty easily (summon in catapults and then go for the big TG summon after collecting tokens). Given how sedentary Herdstone lists tend to be even the 16 archers you get from a midlevel Ryze is great in forcing your enemy over. It's just icing that they're worth nothing when killed and act as nice roadblocks once everybody inevitably shows up to party! The biggest problem with it is that, in a comped environment, it drops you way too low which is a PitA. You can make up the points pretty easily by swapping around some things (running Lore of the Wild in Swedish is a nice little pick up for example), but you won't have that nice +VP cushin Beastmen generally enjoy in comped.

Still, the list is pretty close to what I was thinking of after BSB for pure BoC (even down to the double bull+31 Ungor bit) so I definitely think it has some teeth. I'd love some more in-depth reports of how it does though as more data is always nice.

Love the bits choice for the Rambull. Might nick it if I feel the urge to make another doomie myself....

A bit on LoU: I ran it in my mostly-beasts BSB list with a Herdstone and it was pretty killer. Unfortunately I wasn't practiced enough to properly utilize it, but if you're thinking that all it does is summon chaff then you're in for some pain. The real pain it brings is that it gives beasts a usable shooting phase pretty easily (summon in catapults and then go for the big TG summon after collecting tokens). Given how sedentary Herdstone lists tend to be even the 16 archers you get from a midlevel Ryze is great in forcing your enemy over. It's just icing that they're worth nothing when killed and act as nice roadblocks once everybody inevitably shows up to party! The biggest problem with it is that, in a comped environment, it drops you way too low which is a PitA. You can make up the points pretty easily by swapping around some things (running Lore of the Wild in Swedish is a nice little pick up for example), but you won't have that nice +VP cushin Beastmen generally enjoy in comped.

Still, the list is pretty close to what I was thinking of after BSB for pure BoC (even down to the double bull+31 Ungor bit) so I definitely think it has some teeth. I'd love some more in-depth reports of how it does though as more data is always nice.

yea im actually pondering running lore of wild in comp situations.  getting two viletides(one bound spell) with hagtree and herdstone sounded like fun to me

For comp I'm not concerned right now, for Wrath it wont make a difference one way or the other.

For OFCC, I would change the list to something like this.

Doombull (General) - Gnarled Hide, Gouge Tusks, Sword of Striking, Dawnstone, Ramhorn Helm, Ironcurse Icon, Shield

Doombull - Magic Carpet, Talisman of Preservation, Charmed Shield, Great Weapon

Great Bray Shaman - Talisman of Endurance, Fencer's Blades, The Other Trickster's Shard, Jagged Dagger, Level 4, Beasts

Wargor - BSB, Beast Banner, Heavy Armor, Shield

Bray Shaman - Herdstone, Shadow

Bray Shaman - Chalice of Dark Rain, Shadow

Bray Shaman - Shadow

40 Gors - Extra Hand Weapons, Full Command

10 Gors - Extra Hand Weapon, Ambush

31 Ungors - Full Command

5 Raiders

5 Raiders

Razorgor Chariot

Razorgor

Razorgor

5 Harpies

2499 points, 14.7 comp

At 14.7 this is still a pretty mean list, and I don't lose all that much from the original which comes in at 11.5 with lore of death.