What would you do with 100 spider riders?

Hey all,

In cleaning my wargaming closet out last weekend I stumbled across an army I had long forgotten about: Forest Goblins! I have about 120 Spider Riders, 2 Arachnaroks, and some various war machines.

I don't play Fantasy anymore, so I want to make this into a 40k army of some kind. Obviously this army would require extensive conversions on every model to meet WYSIWYG standards, and that's where you come in: I need a good idea!

I think Orks or Daemons would be the way to go as far as rules are concerned. Perhaps some sort of Nurgly spider-based Daemon army? Or some kind of Forest-Goblins-in-Space force using the Ork codex?

I'm open to any ideas here, as I'd really like to do something with this army. Thanks!

• Like 1

CaptainA: Something like that it was I had in mind! Those look great, and if you wouldn't mind me using that idea then I will consider it. I like the Drider-esque feel they have.

Aventine: That's the other idea I had, except I was going to build it as some crazy unbound or two detachment list. 4 minimum units of troops, 2 heralds, and 6x20 Flesh Hounds (points permitting). The Arachnaroks would be either Greater Daemons or Soulgrinders.

Pretre: I have two Spear Chukkas and two converted Stone Throwers from the Arachnarok kits. I thought I had a Doom Diver but I must have traded it.

GeneralRiphook: Ork Bikers could work, perhaps I could put Savage Orcs with some sort of gun on them? I already have an IG army, and I don't think there are any spiders on Valhalla (lol). That is a great idea if I want a second (Catachan?) IG army, though!

I already play Tyranids so I don't want to convert them into nids, although that would be a very interesting army.

What about Necrons? Are there models that would fit having a bunch of Spiders? (Wraiths, etc)

I think I just want something that is super fast and fun to play. Ideally the spiders would be a troop choice.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Keep 'em coming!

EDIT: Can Fenrisian Wolves still be taken as a troop choice in the new Space Wolves book? And can they score?

CaptainA: Something like that it was I had in mind! Those look great, and if you wouldn't mind me using that idea then I will consider it. I like the Drider-esque feel they have.

Go for it!

The only problem with anything you do will be the size of teh spiders as they are pretty small.

I think I'll go with Flesh Hounds, as I would not have to convert any riders or anything like that. What should I do for troop choices? I have a bunch of tiny spiders that I could use as Nurglings, if they are troops. I also have several smaller spiders from the Descent board game that would fit perfectly onto 25mm round bases - I could use them as Daemonettes.

What should the Arachnaroks be? Keeper of Secrets? That would get my two HQs out of the way! So, points permitting, this would be my list:

HQ:

2x Keeper of Secrets (Arachnaroks)

Troops:

2x10 Daemonettes (Descent "Giant Spiders")

2x3 Nurgling bases (small spiders from the Arachnarok kit)

Fast Attack:

6x20 Flesh Hounds (Spiders from Spider Riders)

This is probably way over 2,000 points, so I would cut down on the number of Flesh Hounds to make it fit. Maybe 5x20 or 6x15.

• Like 2

At one point, I was converting up a tyranid spider themed army with those spider rider mounts as the gaunts. Ultimately, I gave up, as the conversions became too numerous to be realistic, plus the source of spider riders I had became exhausted, resulting in an increase in projected costs should I continue. Still, If I had 100 spider riders sitting around, I would continue that project.

I think I'll go with Flesh Hounds, as I would not have to convert any riders or anything like that. What should I do for troop choices? I have a bunch of tiny spiders that I could use as Nurglings, if they are troops. I also have several smaller spiders from the Descent board game that would fit perfectly onto 25mm round bases - I could use them as Daemonettes.

What should the Arachnaroks be? Keeper of Secrets? That would get my two HQs out of the way! So, points permitting, this would be my list:

HQ:

2x Keeper of Secrets (Arachnaroks)

Troops:

2x10 Daemonettes (Descent "Giant Spiders")

2x3 Nurgling bases (small spiders from the Arachnarok kit)

Fast Attack:

6x20 Flesh Hounds (Spiders from Spider Riders)

This is probably way over 2,000 points, so I would cut down on the number of Flesh Hounds to make it fit. Maybe 5x20 or 6x15.

Yeah, you're probably going overboard here in terms of points. You might consider finding other spiders to make fiends as well.  

It's a very one-dimensional army, so you're going to have some games that are just snooze fests because you don't have an answer for their army (anything with good fliers, stuff that has good armor saves) or they don't have an answer for yours (plenty of things actually).  That being said, I think this list errs on the side of being too weak rather than too strong, so I doubt you'll get much flakk.  

I got my hands on the Daemons Codex, here's a list with actual point costs:

HQ:

Karanak 120

Troops

6x3 Nurglings 270 (maybe 3x6 instead?)

Elites

2x5 Fiends of Slaanesh 350

Fast Attack

3x20 Flesh Hounds 960

Heavy Support

2x Soulgrinder of Slaanesh 300

Total: 2,000

I'll model some spikes in the Arachnarok's carapace that look like they can fire to represent the Harvester Gun. I didn't want to take any of the mouth weapons as I'd rather be running into combat if there are no flyers around.

This army is scary fast. I think I'll lay out these models this weekend just to get a visual of how much board space it will take up.

I'll also be dropping some cash on 61 round bike bases... I hate square bases in 40k :/