What would you do with 100 spider riders?

So, sake of argument, opponent brings an Imperial Knight. How does this army deal with it? I'm seeing a few rending units, 2 iffy AT vehicles and that's it. (Knight has AV13 front, AV12 rear, a 4++ to shooting, and initiative 4 D weapon attacks).

I've run soulgrinders in the past, and they are iffy for anti-tank. BS3, Initiative 3, and short range weapons. They make solid support units, but they do not preform as the one being relied upon for a dedicated role.

Knights aren't uncommon opponents, so having a solution to dealing with just one, with the entire army, seems reasonable for any given list.

Any suggestions, then? How do Chaos Daemons normally deal with Imperial Knights?

I'd also not sure how I want to model the HQ choice. For the same points as Karanak I can get a Herald of Khorne on a Juggernaut, which would be modeled as a forest goblin shaman on a gigantic spider. Should I stick to all spiders, or incorporate some forest goblins? I could use the Arachnarok crew as Nurglings, for example. I think this might make more sense than just having an army of spiders.

So, sake of argument, opponent brings an Imperial Knight. How does this army deal with it? I'm seeing a few rending units, 2 iffy AT vehicles and that's it. (Knight has AV13 front, AV12 rear, a 4++ to shooting, and initiative 4 D weapon attacks).

I've run soulgrinders in the past, and they are iffy for anti-tank. BS3, Initiative 3, and short range weapons. They make solid support units, but they do not preform as the one being relied upon for a dedicated role.

Knights aren't uncommon opponents, so having a solution to dealing with just one, with the entire army, seems reasonable for any given list.

2 Slaneshy souldgrinders should have a shot at a Knight. This is for the OFCC afterall. Captains can stop bad matchups.

List sounds hillarious BTW.

• Like 1

Any suggestions, then? How do Chaos Daemons normally deal with Imperial Knights?

I'd also not sure how I want to model the HQ choice. For the same points as Karanak I can get a Herald of Khorne on a Juggernaut, which would be modeled as a forest goblin shaman on a gigantic spider. Should I stick to all spiders, or incorporate some forest goblins? I could use the Arachnarok crew as Nurglings, for example. I think this might make more sense than just having an army of spiders.

Army is too varied/random for a "normal" solution. In general, best solution for daemons is a melee one.

I'll list your AT options:

-S5 or higher with rending can at least glance AV14 (S4 can glance AV13, so some potential with just slaanesh chariots destroying the knight with hammer attacks).

-Staff of Change via Tzeentch Greater Daemon/prince (+2 strength on an already strong MC)

-BloodThirster

-Skull Cannon (Khorne Heavy Chariot)

-Nurgle Plaguesword/Balesword (auto glances on 6s)

-Blue Fire of Tzeentch Psychic power (Tzeentch heavy chariot)

-Soul Grinder (Melee S10 or ranged Warp Gaze/Phelgm Bombardment/Harvester Cannon).

-Screamers of Tzeentch (Lamprey's Bite)

-Skarbrand (Armorbane Melee weapon.)

-#2 Lesser Reward (doubles strength on 6s in melee)

-#3 lesser reward (armorbane template)

-#5 lesser reward (S8 Shooting atttack)

-#4 Greater reward (S8 ap 1 lance ranged attack)

-#5 Greater reward (armorbane melee)

-Greater Etherblade (only +1 strength, but every little bit helps)

-and Smash...

Plus any psychic powers you manage to roll.

I will note there is a potential, though very much unreliable, AT option using the tzeentch greater loci of change to make a unit S6 (and the squad leader with lesser reward S8 via staff of change).

Beyond that, you could look into buildings. Of a highly amusing note is that Ku'Gath has the "very bulky" USR, so you could, in theory, start him on the table and inside a building. Not in the GW faq....

2 Slaneshy souldgrinders should have a shot at a Knight. This is for the OFCC afterall. Captains can stop bad matchups.

List sounds hillarious BTW.

If OFCC, then might be fine. I had also forgotten that daemons of khorne have furious charge, so those flesh hounds can glance AV12 on the charge.

List is still very dependent on those two soulgrinders for AT.

I suppose, for minor tweaks, Plaguebearers instead of nurglings are ideal, as the plague bearers can damage vehicles, while the swarms can only pray they are durable enough to tie-up a knight.

As for the melee with soulgrinders Vs a single knight. Should be an easy win for the knight player. Should be able to split attacks between the two units, 2 attacks at each. Might win, might not, but very likely to destroy/cripple both soulgrinders in the process. Biggest concern is that the soulgrinders destroy the knight, but take too much damage to be reliable AT/AA for other things, as list is rather reliant on those two models.

I'll also be dropping some cash on 61 round bike bases... I hate square bases in 40k :/

Personally, I prefer 40mm rounds for Flesh Hounds. Makes 'em look more solid compared to the sleeker, faster, more fragile Seekers. Also, they were sold with 40mm rounds at one point.

And yeah, lists that are crazy fast like that are a whole lot of fun. The Khorne list I took to the last OFCC was similar in that regard, and I had a blast with it.

• Like 1