40k chaos questions

1: Daemon of Tzeentch is +3 leadership while manifesting psychic powers. How long does this last? For example, if I manifest a psychic power which lasts a game turn (like a blessing) will my daemon gain +3 leadership for the duration of the power, or will it only last until the end of the psychic phase, or just until the power is fully cast/dispelled?

2: Chaos Psychic Focus: If my chaos psyker rolls all their powers from a single disipline, can I obtain the Chaos psychic focus AND the normal Psychic Focus? Upon re-reading it, they do not seem mutually exclusive.

For number two they are not mutually exclusive but for the regular focus there is a clause that says you lose the primaris if your psyker gains a power outside of the list. So while they aren't exclusive you won't be able to keep them all.

That was my initial read.

Re-reading, I see the Initial section saying that if I take all powers from a particular disipline, I get the primaris power for free. It does say that acquiring additional powers from other disiplines removes this power.

Then I see a subsection of that very section which says that godly chaos psykers and marked chaos daemons gain an aditional disiplined primaris power in addition to all other powers.

It is in that exact subsection that I would expect to see a note saying it would cause you to lose your psychic disipline, or that the rule is mutually exclusive to the above. The fact that it doesn't is very suggestive that it is, as written, a bonus in addition to all other powers.

No clue on #1?

Anyway,

3: Disc of Tzeentch makes the model count as if on a jetbike (chaos daemons or CSM). Does this confer the +1 toughness for a jetbike model?

"Manifesting" a Psychic Power is specifically the process of putting it into effect during the Psychic Phase. Essentially, that Ld boost only matters for Perils of the Warp, unless there are Powers they have access to that depend on the Caster's Ld.

Chaos Psychic Focus: I think GW forgot that there are Chaos Psykers who aren't required to take at least one Power from their god's Discipline, so it's written as tho it were impossible for them to get Psychic Focus in any other way. As is, if you roll all your Powers on one Discipline, you get Psychic Focus in that Discipline, but then Chaos Psychic Focus kicks in, you now have a Power from another Discipline, and you lose Psychic Focus in the Discipline you actually rolled.

Disc of Tzeentch does give the +1 Toughness. It's worded basically the same as when you can buy a Character a Bike, and no one argues that a SM Captain on a Bike doesn't get the +1T.

• Like 1

The Daemon of Tzeentch bonus only applies to the casting of the spell, as WestRider notes. It mostly just helps you dodge the effects of certain Perils results- I'm not aware of any other time it can matter.

Most tourneys are ruling that you can only get one version of Psychic Focus/Chaos Psychic Focus, so rolling all your powers on a single table as a Daemon gets you nothing extra. That's not hard RAW, though.

"Manifesting" a Psychic Power is specifically the process of putting it into effect during the Psychic Phase. Essentially, that Ld boost only matters for Perils of the Warp, unless there are Powers they have access to that depend on the Caster's Ld.

So the duration of the effect has no bearing on the manifesting of psychic powers?

Anyway, thanks for those answers. I'll add more questions when I encounter them.

Right. After you're done with it, and it's taken effect, it's now "manifested", instead of "manifesting", and the Tzeentch bonus goes away.

That Rule got nerfed even worse than Shadow in the Warp by the changes from 6th to 7th, and that's saying something.

Not really nerfed. Point of the rule was to allow lesser daemons with leadership 7 to be a reasonable psykers. In the current edition, leadership doesn't affect most psychic casting, so there isn't really a loss. We just gain that +3 leadership during perils tests and a few others. Not that daemons can cast it, but it would be pretty useful with "purge soul."

Not really a question, but double checking:

4: Multiple loci of the same effect don't stack, right?

As I read it, specifically the different effects don't stack and it seems strongly implied that they don't stack, but a local player was certain they did and I want to be sure.

The last sentence in the description paragraph of the Loci: "If there are two Loci of the same Tier, you choose which applies."

So if they've got two Exalted Loci of Conjuration in the Unit, they get to choose whether to add +1S to their Witchfire powers, or add +1 S to their Witchfire powers, since the effects are the same. They don't get to add +2S to their Witchfire powers, since they have to choose one.