Ravenguard, Tau, Eldar - Release Schedule Rumors

pretre

Lords of Wargaming - Total rumors: (29 TRUE) / (2 FALSE) / (2 PARTIALLY TRUE/VAGUE)

PENDING Release Schedule Rumors - Mar 2015
Lots of new info from Lords of War Gaming

- Raven Guard vs Tau boxset
- new Space Marine codex this summer
- Eldar codex after Ad Mech
- Tau codex later this year

Raven guard vs Tau and should be out before Tau release.

Don't know about a Raven Guard supplement but Adeptus Astartes: Space Marines will release this summer.

Yes. After Admech it will be codex Craftworld: Eldar. Plastic jetbikes and Artach.

• Like 2

Well, at this point, there's no Dex that's more than about three years old, so yes, they are fairly new. However, I'd say that SM and Eldar are among the ones that could use a bit of rebalancing the most, with Tau not far behind. Not much, just a few things, bring Wave Serpents, WraithKnights, Riptides, Broadsides, Grav Cents, and White Scars down a hair, bump Howling Banshees, maybe one or two Tau things I can't think of at the moment, Raven Guard, Templars, and Tactical Terminators up a notch. That would bring them pretty well into line with the rest of the pack for the most part, I think.

• Like 1

Tactical Terminators just need to be cheaper and they'd be fine.  I think maybe 30 pts per guy would work.  Heck, assault terminators should be cheaper too. 

But that's pie in the sky, GW just overvalues 2+ saves. 

Honestly, almost all the Units I mentioned just need one little tweak somewhere. Termies down to 30 Points or give them inherent FNP, Serpents there are a bunch of possibilities, but the one that jumps out to me is taking the Serpent Shield down to like S5 so they're not such all-rounders. Bump WraithKnight prices up a bit or take off a Wound or something, Grav Cannon down to 4 shots. My fix for Howling Banshees was actually going to be another Serpent Shield change: Units may Charge in the Turn they disembark from a Wave Serpent as long as all targets of the Charge were targets of Serpent Shield shooting in that Shooting Phase. Change Raven Guard to +1 to Cover Saves in Turn 1, so it stacks with Night Fight, and let it also apply to Jump Infantry.

I agree. If I was at a computer, I'd look up their ages.

Codex Tau, 6th Ed: April 2013

Codex Space Marines, 6th Ed: September, 2013

I just bought the Tau codex a month or so ago. Looks like I'll be holding off on the Space Marine codex and just relying on Army Builder for a few months. Or maybe focus on my Orks... got the new Codex for them at least.

Well, at this point, there's no Dex that's more than about three years old, so yes, they are fairly new.

Battle Sister Matilda the Pious would like to have some words with you and the Sanctified Brother Ateego of the Black Templa....wait, what do you mean he's missing? Where'd he go, it's not easy to loose an 800 pound killing machine?!? Oh you found him, great!

What do you mean he's changed his name to "Astartes #545567"!?!! He was a member of a storied faction that had a rich history and backstory.... Watch my cogitator, I'm going to do the ritual of cranial discomfort warding.

;)

• Like 1

Tactical Terminators just need to be cheaper and they'd be fine.  I think maybe 30 pts per guy would work.  Heck, assault terminators should be cheaper too. 

I've always thought that Tac Terminators should get ammo selectors and get all the rounds Sternguard get (but Stormbolter version) to really make them shine

• Like 1

The tactical terminators are balanced for points, it's other things in the SM codex, and codex, which are just not balanced for points which make those 2+ saves seem lacking.

Bikes, in example, are just too cheap. They make the tactical terminators look bad, as their 4+ jink, 3+ armor and +1 toughness is just more durable than that 2+/5++ under most circumstances, despite the bikes being half as expensive. Bikes used to be 33pts per model and jink only if they forgo shooting and charging (though jink was an invulnerable save for a while). The TL biker weapons, frag and krak, and hammer all stack for the bikes, but are lost with the tactical terminators. The SM codex making biker troops doesn't really help the balance either.

Regarding tactical terminators, I'll add that if you don't face marines all the time, the tactical terminators can be pretty impressive. The issue with marines being 3/4 opponents really makes the tactical terminators less impressive. I would like to see tactical terminators get more heavy weapon access, as 1 per 5 really isn't very practical if GW intends to keep them elites. More character options would be reasonable too (like storm shield vet sarge option).

A SM character (like a terminator captain) which allows tactical terminators as troops (and elites) and assault terminators as fast attack (and elites) is long overdue. Or they could just ditch the character option to make bikes as troops....

A SM HQ in scout armor, or otherwise scout-like, would be very nice for low point games. Perhaps some relic carapace option that replaces the character's armor.

I would really like to see scouts with 2 per 5 having heavy weapon access (missiles or heavy bolters).

On subject, SM heavy bolters need work. Would really like a SM special rule that allows non-relentless SM to charge after firing heavy bolters on the move (snap firing), as it would be fluffy and really balance their points better.

Personally, I think 2 heavies at 5 might do it. Centurions are tougher with better guns for walking, assault terminators are better at everything else. With only 1 heavy, they can't alpha strike well (Chaos gets combimeltas, which is a game changer in that regard), with only a 5++ at T4 with 1 wound, they whittle too quickly to play the attrition game, and if in a transport, they might as well be assault terminators!

I've used them to success with teleport homers scattered everywhere as a tactical game changer, but honestly, assault terminators fill that role better. Storm bolters just aren't enough firepower. Back in the early days of 3rd, when moving meant you only shot once at 12", the storm bolter had double the firepower of a tactical marine on the move at 12" or double the power of a stationary tac marine at 12"-24". Then they had some utility. With the changes to rapid fire, the storm bolter isn't bringing you anything, which makes you reliant on the heavy to do the lifting (as Tacs rely on their special and/or heavy) and the limitation to 1 just isn't enough. Tacs can take meltas or plasma, with a second combi on a sarge. Terminators can take an assault cannon or a missile launcher, both costing way more, neither reliable against 2+ or armor (Statistically assault cannons are way better over time, but one round of shooting, give me a meltagun or plasmagun), and the entrapment into a powersword on the sarge is limiting. A maul would be excellent, a thunderhammer better (I miss the days of my power sword/ thunderhammer terminator assault sarges).

On topic:

Surprised that DA and CSM are being leapfrogged. Eldar could be another supplement; say Biel-Tann or Sam Hainn; Admech makes me want to sQUEEE!

Battle Sister Matilda the Pious would like to have some words with you and the Sanctified Brother Ateego of the Black Templa....wait, what do you mean he's missing? Where'd he go, it's not easy to loose an 800 pound killing machine?!? Oh you found him, great!

What do you mean he's changed his name to "Astartes #545567"!?!! He was a member of a storied faction that had a rich history and backstory.... Watch my cogitator, I'm going to do the ritual of cranial discomfort warding.

;)

Yes, they do need a proper release, but according to Wikipedia, they were last updated in October 2013, which is within the range I specified. Even the previous version was only about 6 months outside that range, and I'd consider that covered by "or so" ;)

@Pax: Point for Point, Terminators are more fragile and have less firepower than Tactical Marines. It's not just Bikes that make them look bad. Yes, they're better in Assaults than Tac Marines, but they have to get there, which either means putting them in a Transport or Deep Striking them, either of which largely negates their guns, and makes Assault Terminators much more appealing.