A horse, gaming and your perspective...

dalmer

Hello there,

My wife bought a horse.  Thus, I will be gaming soon due to suddenly having a wife that is off horsing around... or at least that's the plan.

I have lots of 40k armies.  I don't have much of it painted.  I have only played three games in 7th edition, but have lots of experience in 3rd edition.  I am planning on taking a more-strategic approach to army painting, building and gaming and this is where your perspective would be welcomed.

What is a "starter game" points value these days?  In 3rd edition it used to be 500 points.  Basically, an HQ and two troops and you'd play fast games to learn some basics.  But it seems to me that 40k kind has bigger points values or more bang for the buck, because the armies seem to be quite large.  If you fine folks would please let me know what you think "starter game" points values are, I can roll from there.  500?  750?  1000?

I reckon that once I get some kind of idea what points value is good for starting, I'll just start building army lists for my various armies and then paint those army lists.  As I get more games under my belt I'll add to the points value and paint those models. 

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Stay safe,

don

• Like 3

Well it seems most "normal games" are played between 1750-2000. 

Small games are pretty good for learning to play, but I'd advise playing at 750 or 1000. Previously I would say that playing at such low points is very hard because power levels are eschewed as some codex's HQ and two troops are more expensive than others....but instead I'd advise you to play with unbound at low point levels so that you can just run what units you want to test out.  

In my experience, small games are fine for learning the mechanics, but are pretty bad for judging how any unit will perform. At small point levels, things tend to be a lot more rock-paper-scissors. The larger the point value, the more variety of tools folks will be able to bring, and the better they'll be able to respond to a variety of threats.

Smaller point value games can be tons of fun, they just aren't a good basis upon which to judge how a unit will perform in a higher-points environment.

Also, while I totally respect it if you're one of those with a no-unpainted-models ethos, no one will bat an eye if you play pick-up games with unpainted models. If you want to try out armies and combinations with unpainted models (or even proxies), you'll get a better sense of what type of army you like than by playing low-point games.

• Like 2

I second this. As I was very much the guy who wouldn't play with unpainted models. Then one day I tried and had tons more fun. I was able understand the full extent of my army's units. I even the bad ones that I liked to play. I found a way to make them work and they were that much more of a blast to paint. Horribly painted mind you, but fun nonetheless.

Hello there,

Thanks for the feedback thus far, it's appreciated.  For clarification:

*  I don't care if an army is painted or not.  I'm just saying from a strategic point of view concerning the hobby, if I have an army list I'm more motivated to paint said models.  And thus be closer to fielding an actual painted army!  If that makes sense.  Currently I just pick an army in the shelf rotation, roll a d6 for unit type then roll a d6 for unit type... blam, that's the unit I paint next.  Kind fun at the randomness but I could easily work towards an actual painted army going the strategic route.

*  I don't care how units perform either... but the few games I played it seemed to me that there were SOOOOOOOOO many friggin' rules that were technical.  And that make me consider playing smaller, faster games to get more reps of all these nuances.  My army lists will all have a storied theme, damn be how they actually play.  For example:  I play Dark Angels as my Space Marine choice.  'nuff said.  ha ha ha

So if anyone thinks that 500 points is too few of points to get clean reps in and learn the nuances of the game, please lemme know.  If 750 or 1000 points is better to do that, so be it... either way it'll help me (a) learn to build army lists; (b) get to PLAY and learn rules and tactics; © give me motivation to field painted things instead of the "grey wave."

More feedback please and thank you tons so far for the posts!

Stay safe,

don

Cool Don, I get where your are coming from. Correct me if I am wrong but is sounds like you like to play fluff more so than competitive. If that is the case that's awesome we need some more of those players. I would recommend that if you are wanting to play small then definitely play that but maybe set up a game with fluff compatible armies. i.e) Eldar and Necrons. Might even want to play some campaign. However also play with one or two crazy units that you really want to play with. In a 750pt Eldar list I would play with 1 hq, 2 dire avenger squads and then a unit of either Jump infantry or some type of vehicle unit.

The point is I agree with Jim, if you are looking for a fun game then it is really about the multitude of varying units. However if you are super duper new and need to get the training wheels broken in then yes play small and work up, but I would really recommend that you play a few more units, if even just one more as that may leave a bad taste in your mouth as the action will be pretty minimal. I guess if it is just 1 hq two troops you wouldn't even have move the models you could just end up rolling dice and that's about it. I would play an intro game with you at a small amount if need be.

Cool, in that case, I suggest playing bigger games. 1850 is a popular level, as is 2000 with the OFCC coming up. Make a list that seems like fun. Try it. Think about what was missing that game - maybe an opponent's unit you couldn't deal with, or a tactical situation that caught you off-guard. Think about what units seemed useful, and which units seemed to be dead weight. Drop one or two dead weight units and add one or two units you think would help you out more. Repeat ad infinitum.

Reading stuff online about units that are useful or work well together can be helpful, but ultimately it's going to come down to what suits your play style. Only way to tell that is to play games in the environment that you want to continue to play.

For me, I tend to run a lot more fast close combat units than the internet says is optimal. Not because it's powerful, it just suits the way I think and how I want to play.

40k is not in my wheelhouse these days, with new shinies (Saga and WoK) and a Fantasy tournament on the horizon, but I would gladly play a game of 40k with you in a heartbeat. Just say the word!

Super stoked you'll be out on Tuesdays, even if it took a horse!

Hello there,

Again, thanks for the perspectives and the feedback.  Sounds like a larger points base will let me experience (a) more of the rules system and (b) more tactical scenarios within games so I can get up to speed.

I'll start with army lists at 1000 points just because it's a round number and I'll be able to divvie up all my different armies and get some good, basic formations started.  And since I can always go bigger points-wise, once I get a few 1000 point games under my belt I'll be able to do tourney-level points games.

Appreciate the feedback immensely, thanks again.

Stay safe,

don

P.S.  I was just reminded that I'll be instructing at Whatcom Community College on Tuesday nights for spring quarter... but I'm gonna game on Saturdays until Tuesdays clear, as long as wifey is off horsing.  Appreciate the support.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.