Random House Rules

WestRider

So what I said. They were available in the DAOT and rare in the Great Crusade. They are now less rare. So Chaos would not have a lot of them, if any.

Remember that the Psycannon is super rare in GW fluff too. Remember late 5th ed, where psycannons were like the most common weapon for a while....lol

Seriously though, there isn't a reason that CSM wouldn't have grav weapons. They've got half of mars in the heresy, plus half the marines. They also aren't a weapon that would shame them regarding a future they lost in heresy, as these are pre-heresy weapons.

It's sort of like the reason that loyalist marines don't have autocannons for heavy weapons. Or why only BA can take hand flamers. Or why only BA, sternguard, and Legion of the Damned can take heavy flamers.

Terminators of multiple codexes can take HF. 

Yes, but that isn't what I'm talking about. So can the Dreadnoughts, Razorbacks and a few others, but I'm obviously only listing the PA models.

I would think Grav weapons would fall into the same "fell out of use with the Traitor Legions because their maintenance requirements are too demanding to keep them in service when all your Dark Mechanicum tech dudes are more interested in shoving Daemons into things" category as Land Speeders and Jetbikes.

At the very least, tho, I think Salamanders should be able to get Heavy Flamers as a Heavy Weapon option.

• Like 1

I would think Grav weapons would fall into the same "fell out of use with the Traitor Legions because their maintenance requirements are too demanding to keep them in service when all your Dark Mechanicum tech dudes are more interested in shoving Daemons into things" category as Land Speeders and Jetbikes.

"shoving daemons into things"

Wonderful images...

• 4 weeks later...

For Warp Talons. Change weapons to:

Empyrean Claws: S: User, AP3, Melee, Shred, Sunder, Rending, Dimensional Cutting

Dimensional Cutting: The Empyrean Claws wielded by Warp Talons are capable of slicing through reality itself. This has several effects: When arriving by Deep Strike, they scatter only d6", and any enemy Units within 6" of them at the end of the Shooting Phase must take a Blind Test, as the flash of warp energy overwhelms their senses. Furthermore, when rolling to Penetrate Armour, rolls of a 6 are treated as AP1 in addition to the effects of Rending. Finally, they can use the claws to cut themselves unexpected routes during the final stages of a Charge. When Charging through Cover, Models with Empyrean Claws do not suffer the Initiative Penalty, but instead count as making a Disordered Charge.

• Like 1

I was working on my Vengeance Weapons Batteries, and I noticed that with a bit of alteration, most other GW Turrets will fit on there, too. So I was thinking about which ones might be reasonable to actually use there. Came up with this:

- Whirlwind (won't target Units within 12" or out of LoS, regular Missiles only), TL Exterminator Autocannon: Free swap

- Demolisher Cannon: +20 Pts

- Executioner Plasma Cannon: +15 Pts

Just going by the prices on the Russes, the Exterminator would actually be a Points drop, but I didn't want to go there with AV14 options that were too cheap. Same story with the Whirlwind. The Demolisher Cannon would be more, but I figure with Range that short, it's not worth quite as much on an immobile platform.

• Like 1

Yep. And I think BA and SW Dreads should get 4 Attacks on their profile. I'd love it if GW would do ongoing updates via FAQs like that.

Not sure I agree that the SW dreads should get 4 attacks. That Blizzard Shield+Axe dread is already 4 attacks with the charge, without having 4 base attacks. That "Murderfang" has a disturbing profile with 4 base attacks, 2 melee weapons, rage and rampage, so up to 10 attacks on the charge.

Sure they should. The base profiles should match between codexes. Then add chapter specific wargear and special rules. Also, it isn't like ven dreads are sweeping the nation. They could use a boost.

Do the points match across the books? I don't have all the books.

SW are 95pts per dread, with 25pt vens (one entry). No extra special rules (beyond ven on the ven dread), but a few SW specific gear options (Helfrost cannons, Great Axe+Blizzard Shield, Great Wolf Claw). No squadrons.

Leaked DA are 100pts per dread, with 125pt vens (two entries). Both have Grim Resolve, ven has Deathwing, no other extra special rules. No codex specific weapon options. Squadrons.

No, but they should for equal units. That's the point. Change points and profiles appropriately.

But they really aren't equal units. Isn't that part of your point?

I think they should change their names a bit...like helbrutes.... :laugh:

The baseline here is Space Marine Dreadnaught. Fluff-wise, Space Wolves and BA deviate from the Codex Astartes in favour of increased Assault potential. Therefore, it's kind of sad that a baseline SM Dread hits harder than one that the SW or BA have specifically kitted out for CC.

And Helbrutes even more so. Those things are really looking pretty pathetic at this point, even with their Formations.

The baseline here is Space Marine Dreadnaught. Fluff-wise, Space Wolves and BA deviate from the Codex Astartes in favour of increased Assault potential. Therefore, it's kind of sad that a baseline SM Dread hits harder than one that the SW or BA have specifically kitted out for CC.

And Helbrutes even more so. Those things are really looking pretty pathetic at this point, even with their Formations.

Well, I think the SW dreads are pretty mean with their SW specific weapon options.

That said, I do agree, the base SW dread using the mainstream options, would be much improved with DA or SM dreadnought rules. Those Mortis Dreads for the DA too...

I will note that while the CSM book has the hellbrutes, had a recent opponent using the FW CSM contemptor dread rules to represent old CSM metal Dreads as they are the only current GW/FW rules for a Chaos Dreadnought. Sound reasoning to me.

Personally, I intend to field one or two SW dreads as allies to my DA. Those things are strong. I intend to field the FW Dreadpod for them, the loss of squadron rules doesn't hurt me. A dread with a 3++ (FA only, but still) and dual melee weapons is pretty strong in my book, even if spendy and less attacks than the dreads whom lack invulnerable saves.

SW Dreads have exactly three options that SM Dreads can't get. The Hellfrost Cannon, a minor CCW upgrade, and the Axe/Shield combo. Other than that, they're basically identical. Or were up until a couple of weeks ago.

The fluff for Hellbrutes mentions that some are custom-made machines, while others are Dreads that have been corrupted by Chaos.

• Like 1

SW Dreads have exactly three options that SM Dreads can't get. The Hellfrost Cannon, a minor CCW upgrade, and the Axe/Shield combo. Other than that, they're basically identical. Or were up until a couple of weeks ago.

Agree. Though I'd include the 2 character dreads in that list too.

The other note is that SW have a formation which is 1 character dread (bjorn) and 2 others. If you made them squadrons, you'd either need to alter the formation to reflect the intended number of dreads, or you'd end up with an effectively different formation.