Random House Rules

WestRider

Well then perhaps we should make it a House Rule/ Club Rule? Makes sense to me. And I think it would make some people happy. :D

The problem is that a lot of us only play at events (or practice for events when we don't). Playing a different rule at home and a different rule at an event is just confusing.

A lot of people in the club or a lot of the people who are active on the forums? I mean, Ordo seems like a big club. And the idea that 80% ( a rough estimate of the statement "most") of the club only plays at events seems a bit off to me. 

But I could be wrong. 

Either way, I can see why you wouldn't be interested in using such a rule. It was just a thought.  :laugh:

I would love to see a rule similar to the Mounted Assault rule for Codex: Space Marines. Maybe something along the lines or:

"Winged Assault: If an Independent Character with the Blood Angels faction takes a Jump Pack, Assault Marines become a Troops choice."

Are there any rules conflicts or unintended applications if it were house ruled this way?

Is the point to be able to have objective secured assault marines? Or just so you can fill your troops slots with assault marines?

Forge World's Captain Korvydae still allows Assault Squads as Troops, and they're Objective Secured in the Gladius, so it's not like it's an inherently unreasonable concept.

Good point.

Then yeah, no objections to a house rule to that extent for WOW or GG league games against me.

• 1 month later...

Converting up some Black Knights for a RavenWing Command Squad, and I'm looking at pics for reference, and I feel like the Corvus Hammers should be a little more versatile, to represent the ability to strike with either the hammer side or the pick side. Basically, replace the Rending Rule with something like "When attacking with a Corvus Hammer, a Model may choose to either have the Rending special Rule or the Concussive special Rule for its Attacks. If multiple Models with Corvus Hammers are attacking at the same time, they may each choose individually which way to strike. Roll the different Attacks separately."

• Like 1

Converting up some Black Knights for a RavenWing Command Squad, and I'm looking at pics for reference, and I feel like the Corvus Hammers should be a little more versatile, to represent the ability to strike with either the hammer side or the pick side. Basically, replace the Rending Rule with something like "When attacking with a Corvus Hammer, a Model may choose to either have the Rending special Rule or the Concussive special Rule for its Attacks. If multiple Models with Corvus Hammers are attacking at the same time, they may each choose individually which way to strike. Roll the different Attacks separately."

It's rending, +1 strength, and it combines with their bolt pistol, so it really isn't horrible, just lacking against 2+ armor and such.

In terms of the model, it's a one-handed pick, with a bolt pistol in the other hand (and somehow steering the bike with some other limb...). This one would be great for biker squats.

Also, while working on stuff for my Elvensword list, I totally think that the Dataslate: Helbrute Formations should be usable with Daemonkin Helbrutes swapped in instead of CSM Helbrutes. DK should have Mutilators, too.

My thought experiment KDK roster has a Helcult formation. I thought it a really fun way to run Helbrutes under KDK. :D

• Like 1

Because the conversions I made for them are really cool. Also, as with many of the things I toss out in this thread, it just seems like it would fit the fluff.

I can also see a bunch of solo Mutilators potentially working as part of an MSU threat overload thing, especially along with a Mayhem Pack. 6+ Deep Striking Units along with my usual array of fast stuff. They're not a big threat to non-vehicle Units, but with 5 ChainFist Attacks on the Charge, they will wreck most Vehicles pretty easily (i.e. good for clearing out the massed Transports Battle Companies bring), and can even pose a significant threat to things like Knights if I manage to Charge with multiple Units at once.

Finally, if they were actually DK, they would generate Blood Points when they inevitably got cut down.

• Like 1

I can't imagine why you would voluntarily put Mutilators in a list.

Various reasons and circumstances can make them viable to a certain extent.

-They are daemons, which does afford them some options interacting with daemon specific boosts, like cursed earth and the grimore.

-They have access to the marks of chaos, which really aren't bad. Each can afford a certain degree of viability.

-T|hey have very flexible melee options.

-And they have flexible deployment options (deployed normally, transportable, deep strike)

That said, for their strengths, they are rapidly overshadowed by other units both within the same codex and in the newer books (like assault centurions or DW Knights or just daemon princes).

And I agree, GW really scewed up the models for these guys.

even pose a significant threat to things like Knights if I manage to Charge with multiple Units at once.

Can't they just divide their attacks? I mean the Knights. Seems like multiple units hitting a knight at initiative 1 doesn't really gain more threat than a single unit charging at the same initiative, especially given that the knight can't normally overwatch.

The Knight can, of course, divide attacks, but has to do so before knowing what to-hit rolls will be- so in most cases, it will be less efficient overall to attack multiple one-model units than it would be to attack a single multi-model unit of the same total strength. There's also the factor of Stomp, which will have wounds allocated very differently against multiple solo models than it will against a single larger unit.

That said, Mutilators are still awful models with awful rules. There's really nothing they do that Terminators don't do better and prettier while also having a gun.

That said, Mutilators are still awful models with awful rules. There's really nothing they do that Terminators don't do better and prettier while also having a gun.

Flexibility and maniplulating that "daemon" rule. If you don't value melee flexibility, then at least you've got that daemon rule manipulation. Basic cursed earth for a 4++, and mark of tzeentch for a 3++. All while not losing any attacks like a terminator would for that stormshield.