Re-posing Finecast?

andy

Under the best of circumstances, the Finecast Tau XV8 Battlesuit Commander model is awkwardly posed. My model's legs are bent in such a way that it looks about ready to take a drunken header off the curb. What's the best way to straighten Finecast resin? A quick dip in some extra-hot water, followed by a re-pose?

Under the best of circumstances, the Finecast Tau XV8 Battlesuit Commander model is awkwardly posed. My model's legs are bent in such a way that it looks about ready to take a drunken header off the curb. What's the best way to straighten Finecast resin? A quick dip in some extra-hot water, followed by a re-pose?

"Best" huh? I know heat will allow you to bend them. 

Depending on how it's bent, could be more practical to saw and repose with pinning and minor amounts of putty.

Last ditch approach is to attempt to base it so the pose makes sense. This doesn't require any reposing, but can be very challenging with some poses.

when bending I found the hottest water straight out of the faucet in my house.  For me thats the master bathroom as its right behind the wall from the water heater.  Then I crank the hot on … let it run till its nice and hot (as much as its limited to be)… then I have a shallow bowl or pan to put cold water into… thats also big enough to place the figure or part being bent.  Then I use either my hands or other tools to bend the part while its under the hot water coming out of the tap. I will do this for a minute or so (depending on the part being bent)… holding it in position -  I pull it out of the hot water and place it into the cold water bowl.  Repeating as much as needed.  For me the water out of the tap is set pretty hot… so it typically only takes a few tries to get it where I want it.

-typically I do this with FW cast stuff - but I have done it once or twice for "fine cast" as well.

-good luck.

-d

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I broke the ankle trying to straighten it. I broke the toe because I'm a clumsy oaf. Both breaks pinned, the ankle needs some greenstuff reinforcement to help prevent re-injury.. even with that, I think it's going to be an ongoing problem. I may end up replacing the paperclip pin with a longer brass rod all the way down through the base.

KOOJIIF.png

• Like 1