New GW fort? (Not the FW one)

pretre

Still no non-imperium terrain features....uggh.

There aren't going to be any. Imperial Terrain features can be used stock by well over half the Factions in the Game, and with slight conversion by a few more. And that set of Factions includes most of the really popular ones. Terrain for other Factions has probably at least an order of magnitude less of a market than Imperial Terrain, and with the startup costs for Plastic Kits, it's just not enough to make them profitable.

• Like 1

There aren't going to be any. Imperial Terrain features can be used stock by well over half the Factions in the Game, and with slight conversion by a few more. And that set of Factions includes most of the really popular ones. Terrain for other Factions has probably at least an order of magnitude less of a market than Imperial Terrain, and with the startup costs for Plastic Kits, it's just not enough to make them profitable.

I know...Just bugs me when they limit themselves like that. Like watching a TV show that makes a new low quality villain rather that using existing content to it's fullest.

I do think GW could get it to work by having a vehicle kit that also assembles as a fortification. TAU and eldar in particular, as their fortifications would likley not look similar enough to any other faction's fortification. In example, an Exorcist and Shrine of the Emperor fortification kit...(sisters)

They sort of did this with that tyranid spore pod kit, as it's got that infiltrating building-like creature.

You'd rather they limit themselves by going out of business making unprofitable products?

Are you kidding? The GW business model seems very much able to make seemingly bad decisions which work out great for the company for reasons which are not always clear.

I do think that if given good rules, the profit margin would not change regarding faction specific building kits. This would be especially true if the kits were designed to have impressive conversion potential, especially to gamers/hobbyists not playing 40k exclusively.

I very much think that kits which were assembled as vehicle-or-building would sell just fine for eldar, tau, necrons, chaos daemons, sisters, IG, SM, and so forth. Obviously, if one or both of the assembled options have lacking rules, the kit wouldn't sell as well. Likewise, ugly models or kits with lacking conversion potential will also not do as well.

The Plasma fort is AV14, medium building, and its gun is S7 AP2 Primary Weapon 1 Gets Hot. If it rolls the 1 on the Gets Hot check, the models inside take d3 wounds in addition to losing the HP. I believe it's 230pts.

Gotta have a very large blast to justify 230pts...

Are you kidding? The GW business model seems very much able to make seemingly bad decisions which work out great for the company for reasons which are not always clear.

I do think that if given good rules, the profit margin would not change regarding faction specific building kits. This would be especially true if the kits were designed to have impressive conversion potential, especially to gamers/hobbyists not playing 40k exclusively.

I very much think that kits which were assembled as vehicle-or-building would sell just fine for eldar, tau, necrons, chaos daemons, sisters, IG, SM, and so forth. Obviously, if one or both of the assembled options have lacking rules, the kit wouldn't sell as well. Likewise, ugly models or kits with lacking conversion potential will also not do as well.

I usually find that their decisions make at least reasonable sense, when you look at where they're coming from. Sometimes not immediately, but usually in retrospect. They generally do their market research pretty well, from what I've seen, and if they're not doing something, there's probably a reason for it.

The profit margin itself wouldn't change. The issue would be getting enough volume that it would overcome the fixed costs and overhead. Any given single Faction would sell perhaps a couple percent of what something generically Imperial will, so it would have to be something that was basically mandatory for the Faction, or usable in multiples (not really feasible for a Fortification).

The profit margin itself wouldn't change. The issue would be getting enough volume that it would overcome the fixed costs and overhead. Any given single Faction would sell perhaps a couple percent of what something generically Imperial will, so it would have to be something that was basically mandatory for the Faction, or usable in multiples (not really feasible for a Fortification).

They could give a building good enough rules where it was mandatory, or close to it. A vehicle+building kit, assembled as either, would certainly be able to fill multiple slots within a codex.

One I've been wanting for marines and IG, would be a dedicated fortification for troops models. Basically a close topped drop pod which just starts on the table and has a few fire points, AV12 on all sides, holds 6 models, and costs about 25pts. Good for combat squads, heavy weapon teams and snipers.

Just thinking about those Terran bunkers from starcraft 1....

But, again, what do you need to target in your games that requires this?  Think of the better units in the game and almost none of them would even worry about this thing.  

Centurions?  Maybe, but if they have invisibility up and you aren't using ITC rules, then they can't even target them.  
MCs?  Congrats on maybe getting a wound on one, if they are near a malanthrope and in cover, odds are,  you don't accomplish anything.

Flyers?  Can't even target them.  

Wave Serpents?  Single hit needing a 6 to pen?  w00t?

Biker marines?  Jink!

There just isn't really anything out there that you'd want to shoot this thing at that you can't get better units to do for you, I like fortification slots to solve a problem, typically AA or providing reliable cover.  This just doesn't do any of that.  

Then again, if characters can fire this then put a Vindicare on it and LOL.  

• Like 1

But, again, what do you need to target in your games that requires this?  Think of the better units in the game and almost none of them would even worry about this thing.  

Centurions?  Maybe, but if they have invisibility up and you aren't using ITC rules, then they can't even target them.  

MCs?  Congrats on maybe getting a wound on one, if they are near a malanthrope and in cover, odds are,  you don't accomplish anything.

Flyers?  Can't even target them.  

Wave Serpents?  Single hit needing a 6 to pen?  w00t?

Biker marines?  Jink!

There just isn't really anything out there that you'd want to shoot this thing at that you can't get better units to do for you, I like fortification slots to solve a problem, typically AA or providing reliable cover.  This just doesn't do any of that.  

Then again, if characters can fire this then put a Vindicare on it and LOL.  

Well, in example, if my Dark Reapers are firing this thing, the skimers won't get jink against it, which makes it several shades more deadly.

Can use DA rad greades or enfeeble biomancy to reduce toughness and ID marines.

Depending on your army, you could really tailor this thing. No different than other fortifications with big turrets, in this respect.

Side note: waves have those shields, so really, it glances a third the time. And agree, not the best target there. Even if you deny jink, not a very good target.

Anyway, just defending due to lack of defenders. I don't really like this thing with the limited info I have regarding it. I hope the kit can make other things....

@west: How is it that these kits justify the "fixed costs and overhead" but an army specific fortification wouldn't?

That pipes kit looks really lacking. $37 for some pipes...

@west: How is it that these kits justify the "fixed costs and overhead" but an army specific fortification wouldn't?

That pipes kit looks really lacking. $37 for some pipes...

Volume of sales. These are a viable purchase for something like 80% of GW's market (anyone who owns at least one Imperial Army, plus Chaos and Ork Players with just a little work). At a rough guess, I'd say even the most popular Xenos Armies are at something like 10-15%.

Eh, that kind of thing used to bother me until I realized it's a human galaxy- the Great Crusade came so close to succeeding that nearly every habitable world had the Imperium on it at some point, and the Imperium does not bow to fads; they do things the same way now that they did 10000 years ago. So it all looks the same. So there are ruins everywhere, and everyone pinch-uses them at need.

EDIT: Also, I'll buy them, but that's because I'm a fortifications junky- stupid Starcraft. If they suck, I'll only buy one.

• Like 1