Random Thought Thread

InfestedKerrigan

Man is the only creature that consumes without producing. He does not give milk, he does not lay eggs, he is too weak to pull the plough, he cannot run fast enough to catch rabbits. Yet he is lord of all the animals.
- George Orwell

This is kind of a terrible quote.  And here is why:

Man is the only creature that consumes without producing. He does not give milk:  Actually, SHE does, but we just don't let other animals use selective trait breeding to produce excellent milk producing women and put them in dairys.

only creature that consumes without producing:  Very few creatures "produce" with thoughts of becoming a steak.  Cow: i better eat a lot of grass, so i become tasty!"  Not really how it works.  Given the opportunity, we can become great producers.  Ask a man eaing tiger, or a great white.  

he is too weak to pull the plough: Actually, Man plows are a thing, and have been for thousands of years.  We have hoes too.  AND: things that are strong enough to pull  a plow (Oxen, horses, etc) are too dumb to farm.

he cannot run fast enough to catch rabbits: ​Uses brian to trap, shoot, or get other animals to catch rabbits and give them to us.  Gets smarter, does not rely on rabbits for food.  And... humans are actaully really good foot hunters.  Humans have amazing endurance, and can follow a fast animal untill it can no longer run.  LINK!

Just saying :)

• Like 4

Would that be considered a problem of being an Alpha Predator?  A side effect?  I agree, we are at the top of the food chain for what we have developed as the food chain.  There are things that if change wrong, screw us hard, and other things that will change to benefit us as a herd.  Herd health is extremely important to me.  I wish politicians would be more honest about things that affect herd health.