Random Thought Thread

InfestedKerrigan

1 hour ago, WestRider said:

Sounds more like aging plus lasting injuries than XP as such. By the time you're 20th level, you're stuck in a wheelchair and can barely see where you're aiming that crossbow.

Could be that, I suppose. 

I'm thinking about starting them at max level and no gear, then as they quest, lowering their level. They'd still keep the gear and non-level related stat increases, so the questing would still have value. Game would just become progressively harder, the more you quested and killed things. Dunno, it's kinda like Fallout/skyrim/oblivion, where the enemies scale with your level, but in reverse (which would be easier to implement) where you just get worse the more you quest, making the same enemies harder the more you play. Which would mean that the longer you played, the more cunning you'd have to be.

Anyway, random thought. No going anywhere with this idea. 

9 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Could be that, I suppose. 

I'm thinking about starting them at max level and no gear, then as they quest, lowering their level. They'd still keep the gear and non-level related stat increases, so the questing would still have value. Game would just become progressively harder, the more you quested and killed things. Dunno, it's kinda like Fallout/skyrim/oblivion, where the enemies scale with your level, but in reverse (which would be easier to implement) where you just get worse the more you quest, making the same enemies harder the more you play. Which would mean that the longer you played, the more cunning you'd have to be.

Anyway, random thought. No going anywhere with this idea. 

Meh, numbers...

Done correctly, all roleplaying should become harder as you level up.  That's on the game designer.  At a simple level there is no difference between players doubling their numbers and monsters gaining a factor of four and the situation you describe where monsters stay 100% untouched and players' numbers are cut in half.  As I said, that is very simplified so the mathematical comparison is easy but the same logic applies regardless of the system and the bells and whistles applied.  (I think D&D is really about a 10-20% increase in power per level.)

What you are describing is easy enough to convey with flavor-text.  If you actually want to roll back numbers that might be easiest to see and demonstrate to players in a Fate system where the numbers are most visible.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, WestRider said:

Technically, you have "the whole rest of your life ahead of you" right up until the moment when you're actually dead.

Dunno, seems like a rather large assumption . All we really know is that it doesn't look like they continue living when they reach that corpse state.

Even if you ignore the spiritual end, decomposing might be fun. Never know until you try, I suppose.

26 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Dunno, seems like a rather large assumption . All we really know is that it doesn't look like they continue living when they reach that corpse state.

Even if you ignore the spiritual end, decomposing might be fun. Never know until you try, I suppose.

Depends on the definition of "life". If we consider any continuance of consciousness to be some other state, some form of after-life, then my statement holds.

On a totally different topic. Boot Rear: A Truly Kickass Root Beer. Popped into my head this morning while I was waking up, and now I want some, but it doesn't actually exist.

53 minutes ago, WestRider said:

Depends on the definition of "life". If we consider any continuance of consciousness to be some other state, some form of after-life, then my statement holds.

Your statement was fine either way. Was just thinking about it and adding. Didn't mean to suggest that my bit invalidated your bit. Random thoughts spurred by other random thoughts.

2 hours ago, WestRider said:

On a totally different topic. Boot Rear: A Truly Kickass Root Beer. Popped into my head this morning while I was waking up, and now I want some, but it doesn't actually exist.

All you need to do is get to Xanth.  You can have some of that while I partake of Injure Jail.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Life is a pretty strictly defined thing.  Doesn't include spiritual existence...  Doesn't include rotting in the ground or the myriad other organisms who live on as you decay...  In that send life is pretty well defined and finite.

The question of existence after death is a separate question and goes in lots of directions to lots of different lengths.

1 hour ago, Duckman said:

Life is a pretty strictly defined thing.  Doesn't include spiritual existence...  Doesn't include rotting in the ground or the myriad other organisms who live on as you decay...  In that send life is pretty well defined and finite.

The question of existence after death is a separate question and goes in lots of directions to lots of different lengths.

It is defined, but it changes based on perspective and modern medicine.

CPR could be regarded as necromancy, except we changed the definition of death so it doesn't qualify.

If we could prove that corpses were conscious, the definition would likely change again.

• 2 weeks later...

I got kinda high, and I was really listening to Manic Monday. Something about it really reminded me of a Prince song, but I couldn't quite figure out which one. So I went to look up Manic Monday to see if there had been any controversy about the melody being too similar to some Prince song or something like that. Turns out it sounds like a Prince song because he wrote it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Munkie said:

Satanic black metal doesn't make any sense.

What kind of musician would worship a deity who lost a fiddling contest to the very first fiddler he stumbled on in Georgia? 

There's gotta be someone more musically gifted to worship.

Nah, Satan won that one. He plays the long game, and Pride is a Deadly Sin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Georgian was already proud and thought he was the best there ever was. Satan embarrassing himself didn't change that.

He's more like the Dark Lord of moving goalposts. Pretty sure there's no deity in any pantheon covering that, so he shouldn't be too worried about coming in 2nd there. 😂👿

• Haha 1

I learned today I've been confused with Earnest and Urkel. I thought they were the same person.

In fairness, I've seen neither of them recently, it's all memories of things I watched in the long-ago past.

On 4/7/2019 at 8:01 AM, Munkie said:

Satanic black metal doesn't make any sense.

What kind of musician would worship a deity who lost a fiddling contest to the very first fiddler he stumbled on in Georgia? 

There's gotta be someone more musically gifted to worship.

I'm convinced that the horrible guitar tone that defines black metal is the direct result of Satan refusing to admit that he lost that fight.

• Haha 1

Thinking about my childhood today. Anyone recall why tying shoes is so important to parents?

I learned to tie them, and I find it now bothers me when other people have untied shoes, but when I stop and analyze my own actions I'm not really sure why it matters.