Random Thought Thread

InfestedKerrigan

7 hours ago, paxmiles said:

When you wave a greeting to someone else, are you showing kindness by acknowledging them, or are you selfishly trying to get them to acknowledge you?

For me, sometimes it feels kind and sometimes it feels selfish. Have only really just started considering it.

Acts of kindness often have a selfish aspect to them. People enjoy the gratitude others show them, or the feeling they get about themselves, or whatever. 

The mistake I think people make is believing that any sort of selfish reward diminishes the act of kindness. That's a very cynical way to look at it. People appreciate kind things being done to them, so it's okay to feel good about doing it even if you acknowledge there's a reward.

• Like 2

WinCo always has these odd duck seasonal items which are just really poorly concieved products:

IMG_20190523_204702997.thumb.jpg.69c6d454e25ee1a5e27ace9fc450f6e1.jpg

Glass water bottle.

If you can't read it, tag warns it causes cancer and reproductive harm...

4 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Almost everything you can buy at Harbor Freight has the prop 65 warning.

Presumably it is being picked up as secondhand discards from California based on the information on the tag.  I am curious what qualifies that bottle for the warning though since it is a BPA-free bottle...  Have not looked closely at prop 65 so I don't know what triggers it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Duckman said:

Encasing a whole plane is impractical but they may have done it.  I know the plane-borne telescopes only enclose the instruments themselves but I would expect for something with this particular purpose they would also have protected all the electronics.

It sounded like the majority of the body was.  I'm not sure about coverage on the wings.  Body coverage included windows, but I don't know the full extent of the coverage.  And I haven't asked Wikipedia yet lol

Well, it would have to include the windows or it would not be a true Faraday cage.  The wings you would need part of unless you were entirely fly-by-wire because you would need actuators for the flaps (and on a plane that size I expect they are not fly-by-wire just due to size and weight).  Your engines, instruments and all cabin controls would all need to be protected.

• Thanks 1

On 6/21/2019 at 9:14 AM, andy said:

Repurpose.

Hmm...wasn't clear enough. I have socks that have holes which I've been stockpiling for a project that needs lots of sock "loops" (cut socks into a series of loops). But I still have some excess pieces that I can't use and really too insignificant for other projects.

Been thinking about recycling lately, mostly due to that plastic bag thing, so was wondering if there's a way to recycle cloth or compost it, or if they think it belongs in a landfill.

Does seem like recycling is rather vague on how to do it with a good chunk of common things.

1 hour ago, paxmiles said:

Hmm...wasn't clear enough. I have socks that have holes which I've been stockpiling for a project that needs lots of sock "loops" (cut socks into a series of loops). But I still have some excess pieces that I can't use and really too insignificant for other projects.

Been thinking about recycling lately, mostly due to that plastic bag thing, so was wondering if there's a way to recycle cloth or compost it, or if they think it belongs in a landfill.

Does seem like recycling is rather vague on how to do it with a good chunk of common things.

Recycling, as such, isn't really possible for most cloth. Perhaps some of the 100% synthetic stuff, but certainly not for natural materials. Composting is probably the best you can do, but only for 100% natural fibers (especially plant-based ones like cotton or hemp), not synthetics (not even the synthetics that are derived from natural materials like Rayon, the processing they go through stops them from biodegrading easily) or synthetic blends.

I don't have a clear picture what kinds of remnants you have left but I really like socks as dusting mitts (if you have furniture that needs dusting).  All the other stuff that I normally come up with is crafting or hobby ideas...

WestRider's point about what kind of cloth is also relevant as you'll get different behavior and use from cotton vs. artificials.

1 hour ago, Duckman said:

I don't have a clear picture what kinds of remnants you have left but I really like socks as dusting mitts (if you have furniture that needs dusting).  All the other stuff that I normally come up with is crafting or hobby ideas...

WestRider's point about what kind of cloth is also relevant as you'll get different behavior and use from cotton vs. artificials.

It's the pieces that can't become "loops." So it's the tip of the toe and then the sections that are contaminated with holes. Small pieces.

Anyway, it's not a big deal. It's just a small handful of cloth. I was asking more because I didn't know the answer, rather than because I needed an answer.

@WestRider Thanks.

I had expected this one to be something simple that everyone knew except me, because that's how most of my random questions resolve. I did look this one up, a little before you answered:

https://recyclenation.com/2015/11/how-can-you-recycle-fabrics/

Basically, cloth can be recycled, but as @andy points out, mostly it gets re-used.

4 hours ago, Munkie said:

Here in Communist Russia (Bellingham, WA), the 4th of July is not allowed. 

And that makes me sad. 

But luckily, I live in the lawless part of town where people light stuff off constantly anyway and scatter before the cops show up! 

We used to always go to washington for 4th of july because you had those great airborne fireworks. Then one year they decided that they were dangerous and stopped allowing fireworks.

I agree, sad. 

Now I don't hardly ever go to washington. 

That said, at my Apartment complex in Oregon, we have some lovely neighboors in houses that angle their illegal airborne fireworks so they land on our roofs....

And that would be why fireworks are illegal in more and more places.

If people didn't insist that gunpowder (of almost all kinds) required alcohol and if possible a lobotomy then I would have more patience for it.  The problem is that no matter how many people are sensible as long as there are people burning down *other* people's houses it's an issue.