Random Thought Thread

InfestedKerrigan

4 hours ago, Ish said:

That's just a cartoon robot. I'm talking about the real Santa Claus! 

Dunno. Seems like the kind of question that would best be directed to the Grim Reaper the next time you see them.

• 2 weeks later...

Person 1: You know what, I don't really get Family Guy.

Person 2: What's so hard to get? You just need to have grown up in the '80s but still be a teenager.

-Line from Family Guy season 18, episode 4, perfectly explaining the issue with their target demographic. I love this show, but their target audience is both before my time and after, which makes it hard to explain the merits of the show to others.

16 hours ago, WestRider said:

We get older faster than we expect, but once we get to any given benchmark, it doesn't feel as old as we thought it would.

I'm still disappointed that becoming an adult doesn't grant a level up and bonus skills. Definitely felt like there was a bigger difference between kids and adults when I was a kid.

Did the % daily value of sugar change recently?

Mountain Dew's can says that the single can contains 91% daily value of sugar. 

Doesn't seem to have more sugar than it used to, but I think I would have remembered that a single can was 91%. It's the sort of fun fact I do remember.

22 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Did the % daily value of sugar change recently?

Mountain Dew's can says that the single can contains 91% daily value of sugar. 

Doesn't seem to have more sugar than it used to, but I think I would have remembered that a single can was 91%. It's the sort of fun fact I do remember.

Yeah, found it.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/statement-new-guidance-declaration-added-sugars-food-labels-single-ingredient-sugars-and-syrups-and

Apparently, as of June, they've added a % daily value of "added" sugar at 50g.

So, basically, things like Mountain Dew, which are sugar added to carbonated water are a scary high % daily value. On the other hand, drinking maple syrup....no added sugar, so:

image.png.2b66189a260b437ef52c13767ceb42da.png

https://andersonsmaplesyrup.com/nutrition/

So, watch out, because the new system is as broken as the old one, just different. I bet they had good intentions too....

10 minutes ago, Ish said:

Clearly, we’ve put the wrong government department in charge of paving the roads.

The local roads do suck, though I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic.

And don't get me wrong, if we didn't have our broken system, we wouldn't likely have any system at all. So I say as broken as the old one, but I'm more being cynical/jaded regarding a lack of improvement, rather than suggesting that the current state is lacking. It's not improving, but it's what we have and it's better than nothing (though that is a grass is greener argument, as I've never seen this reality without it's system).

13 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

The local roads do suck, though I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic.

I’m referring to the old adage that “the road to hell is paved with good intentions.” 

@WestRider got it. By the way, I’ve checked in with my family: Hell has not frozen over, yet. It usually does sometime near mid-December.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was looking at pictures of legolas in the random photo thread and got to thinking about beards and diet.

I've always thought that beards were more a genetic thing, but apparently they also have a lot to do with diet.

Elves not having beards may be more diet than race. It's an interesting thought.

Tolkien’s elves can grow beards, Círdan the Shipwright and Mahtan (also called Aulendur) both had beards. According to Tolkien, it was mostly seen in elves who had entered the third cycle of their lives and was uncommon amongst elves in their second-cycle (such as Mahtan) and never seen in elves in their first-cycle... and since those are the elves most commonly encountered by Men and Hobbits, most Men and Hobbits assume all elves to be always beardless.

Most Men and Hobbits have never seen female Dwarves, giving rise to rumors that they don’t exist and Dwarves are born from stone, so we have to accept a certain degree of unreliability in their writings about the other races.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ish said:

I think the fact that they're nine-foot tall (and growing) interdimensional murder-hobos outweighs ethical considerations.

"...outweighs other ethical considerations." Placing a value on "interdimensional murder-hobos" in order to be able to weigh them against ethical considerations is, itself, an ethical consideration.

• Haha 1