Random Thought Thread

InfestedKerrigan

You can't force someone to serve you a different ad.  You could block their ad and replace it with something else but then you'd be the one serving the new ad.  If you wanted to do a lot of layout hacking you should be able to pull only the ad space from another page, thereby getting them views and redirecting ad revenue but you'd have to pick a page with a single ad so that you could actually replace ads one at a time (most pages barf if they cannot load all their ads which causes problems with your plan that you have to work around).

5 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Sometimes I wonder if it's purposely very wrong, so you'll attempt to correct it.

My personal peeve is when they suggest the same product you already have, but in another format. It doesn't get that the two products aren't different enough for me to need two.

The other one that's been getting me is when I found the newest book by some author, read and liked it, started following that author, and then get an email recommending that I check out the new book by an author I'm following. Which is the one I just read.

5 hours ago, Duckman said:

most pages barf if they cannot load all their ads which causes problems with your plan that you have to work around).

That's kinda the point. I like adblock, but it causes some pages to barf. I wouldn't mind seeing ads if they were tolerable and they linked to trust-able sites. But there's no half-way point, it's all or nothing, I either block all the ads or get lots if very random ads that link to questionable sites. Seems like the next logical evolution of adblock is to put an ad into the page that replaces the existing ad so the page still loads normal, kinda like:

image.png.57f2400b08f0e28b9c83a78fcda70439.png

1 hour ago, Ish said:

Or maybe... and I know this is a radical idea, but hear me out... You could just ignore the ads? 

My issues are with sites where if you ignore the ad, you'll have to open task manager to shut down the internet browser and start fresh.

Or ads where they just start talking loudly.

Or graphically inappropriate.

Or ads where they start playing a video that overloads the ram on your mobile device/PS4 so you can't continue.

Or ads that open a new window, and that new window demands a password and you can't do anything else on the internet until you type the password or shut down the page.

Or ads that are so large you can't see the rest of the page.

Or ads that are always obstructing your view as you scroll down the page.

I'm pretty good at just enduring problems, but there's a point where you have to deal with things or decide that it isn't worth the effort.

I have adblock disabled on this site. No issues with the ads here.

12 hours ago, Ish said:

Have you considered using something other than a PlayStation as a web browser?

Well, the PlayStation can't even run adblock, was just listing all the ad problems.

But I do regularly alternate between PS4, cell, and desktop. Just whichever is easiest for what I'm doing.

Got one of those hot plates for melting candles without a wick.

I think this may be my favorite toy. Lets me get the joy of playing with fire, but without danger normally ascociated.

They should market these to kids....

3 hours ago, paxmiles said:

A woman at the store mentioned that we need men's maternity jeans.

I like that idea for some reason.

I asked her what maternity jeans were. She said they were jeans with an elastic band for the waist. I told her those were called "fat guy" jeans.

Men's Maternity Jeans just sounds so much better. I told her so, it's an excellent idea.

Not sure why exactly, but apparently you don't have to pay deposit when buying cans of soda of amazon...

Their website certainly suggests they do it, but I just bought 24 energy drinks and my invoice lists zero tax. I wonder how they get around it.

Makes me nervous about returning the cans for deposit when I finish them.

Yeah, amazon is sure amazing sometimes.

Local store, Winco, has my lovely Monster energy Drinks at $1.96+$0.10dep. Amazon has 24 of them (in the flavor of my choice) for $33.99 with free two day shipping and, apparently, no deposit. Just arrived in a very well packed box, with a listed carry weight of 30lbs and about 6 "heavy: lift with care" stickers. I save about 65 cents per can, plus fuel/energy related to transporting them to me.

And the cans are stamped for deposit, so amazon must have put it in the cost, so now I can return them and regain another 10 cents per can, though returning cans requires fuel/energy.

No wonder the local businesses are having trouble.

PS: In fairness, Winco usually has their Monsters for about that price, plus deposit, and I'd gladly pay it. Just not "on sale" right now.

Actually, the cans are marked for deposit by the manufacturer / bottler and will carry the same marks regardless of which state you buy them in. It's actually illegal to return for deposit cans or bottles purchased out of state. Although an attempt at doing so made for a hilarious episode of Seinfeld.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ish said:

Actually, the cans are marked for deposit by the manufacturer / bottler and will carry the same marks regardless of which state you buy them in. It's actually illegal to return for deposit cans or bottles purchased out of state. Although an attempt at doing so made for a hilarious episode of Seinfeld.

Well, how does it work on the internet? My understanding is that Amazon is supposed to cover that based on the state I, the purchaser, am in.

18 minutes ago, Ish said:

🤷‍♂️ I am neither a lawyer nor an accountant. If you’re worried about the $2.40 of unpaid bottle deposits, you can always return them to a recycling center and tell them not to give you the money.

Yeah, me neither. I try hard to follow the laws, though.

Though regarding "unpaid"  bottle deposits, all I know is that I didn't pay directly. When you but cans of soda at a vending machine, resturant, or bar, the deposit is included in the price without any mention. You can legally return those, as I understand. And I paid for my cans with Oregon as my listed state, so I think it's on Amazon to pay the deposit if they aren't putting it on my invoice.

Anywho, my point is that the price was very good. And mentioning the deposit thing in case anyone is in a position to make sure Amazon is following Oregon law. I'm not, but Ordo is very diverse.

Bob: You're right, Big Bird. It's... It'll never be the same around here without him. But you know something? We can all be very happy that we had the chance to be with him, and to know him, and to love him a lot when he was here. 

Olivia: And Big Bird, we still have our memories of him. 

Big Bird: Oh, yeah, Our memories. Right. Why, memories... that's how I drew this picture. From memory. And we can remember him, and remember him, and remember him... as much as we want to. But, I don't like it...  It makes me sad.

Carol Spinney has passed away, the puppeteer who played Big Bird, Oscar the Grouch, Bruno the Trashman, and more... I don’t think I need to explain his importance to our childhoods.

• Like 1

Apparently Amazon changed the "Wish List" search function so only your "amazon friends" can see your wish list....entirely defeats the point of creating a public wish list.

Like they can't even see that you have a wish list until they message you, asking permission to view your public wish list...