Random Thought Thread

InfestedKerrigan

1 hour ago, paxmiles said:

Apparently Amazon changed the "Wish List" search function so only your "amazon friends" can see your wish list....entirely defeats the point of creating a public wish list.

Like they can't even see that you have a wish list until they message you, asking permission to view your public wish list...

This is borderline RoC.  It gets into "privacy" and sex worker industry.  Amazon is one of the largest methods of payment for sex workers.  Wish Lists are one of the way they charge.

• Poop 1

50 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

This is borderline RoC.  It gets into "privacy" and sex worker industry.  Amazon is one of the largest methods of payment for sex workers.  Wish Lists are one of the way they charge.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I was just realizing that in order for friends to see my Xmas list there was now an extra step that makes the whole concept of an Amazon list less practical.

It's not meant to be a discussion. And certainly not a RoC one. Just something random I was thinking about.

You can respond as you like, but when you start making my post about sex workers, you are the one making it into an RoC topic. Don't respond, or, do respond and focus on the aspects of the post that aren't RoC in your eyes.

Sex workers often ask their clients to pay for services rendered by buying them things on their Amazon Wish Lists, in lieu of or in addition to other forms of payment. The days of “leave the cash on the nightstand” are long over... 

Most “high class” sex workers won’t even take cash anymore (due to draconian asset forfeiture  laws), most clients don’t want to pay with their regular credit cards (due to anonymity concerns), and no one wants to pay with or accept a personal check (because who the hell uses checks?). Sex work is almost all paid for via electronic transfer apps (e.g., Venmo) or prepaid gift cards. Then the clients will buy “gifts” for their favorite provider via their Amazon Wish List or similar.

(An old high school friend of mine is criminal defense attorney and defending sex workers a sort of become her area of expertise. It’s a fascinating area of law if you’re a privacy rights politics wonk like me.)

Frankly, I think this has a lot less to due with cracking down on sex workers (an iota of Amazon’s user base) and a lot more with Amazon trying to get as many people as possible to join their service. More registered users, more data collection, more data for the algorithms to crunch, more effective targeted marketing... More money for Amazon.

• Like 2

I wondered if people would connect it to Dune or not.

I was actually thinking about earthworms. It was raining and I was walking in it, worms on the wet sidewalk.

If I step on a worm and damage it, am I damaging someone else's property?

Let’s say, just for the sake of argument, that they do own the worm, so you are damaging someone else’s property and the owner of the worm could prove that your action was the direct cause of the damage to the worm... What would the damages be? A couple of cents?

13 hours ago, Ish said:

Let’s say, just for the sake of argument, that they do own the worm, so you are damaging someone else’s property and the owner of the worm could prove that your action was the direct cause of the damage to the worm... What would the damages be? A couple of cents?

Yes the life of the worm is likely valueless in the eyes of the courts.

That said, they could legally act in self defense of their property. And deliberately damaging their property could be a crime of some sort, one that likely holds a greater penalty than the value of the worm. And that doesn't get into the "animal" rights groups/politics of living things not being valued, might start something.

On the other hand, if they own the worm and you slip on it, or get sick eating it, or it causes some sort damage related to someone overreacting to seeing/touching it, they might be liable.

Dunno, not really going anywhere with this. Just seems like one of those things that people take for granted, which often seem to follow up later with expensive lawsuits. Like hot beverages being hot or people slipping on ice - they seem obvious, but big lawsuits related to them not being obvious to their "victims."

I’m not exactly going to dig into Lexis-Nexus on this, but I would assume that there must be case law dealing with wild animals living on private property and the property owner’s duty and liability caused by them.

I mean, there has to be a legal distinction between someone driving along the highway at hitting a cow wandered into the road and someone driving along the highway at hitting a deer that wandered into the road... even if the cow and deer both live on the same rancher’s land... Right?

Disney was one of the major lobbying powers behind the passage of the Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998 (112 Stat. 2827), to the point where it is commonly referred to by the media and law school textbooks as the “Mickey Mouse Protection Act.”

The Copyright Act of 1976 had already extended copyright to last for the life of the author plus 50 years or 75 years for a work of corporate authorship. The 1998 Act extended this to life of the author plus 70 years or to 120 years after creation for corporate creations.

Mickey Mouse was created in 1928.

image.thumb.jpeg.90253aaeeec48875ba540cc5ba876119.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Pretty sure you can eat dog in Oregon, if you put it down in a reasonable way.

I think the main issue is if you advertised that you were doing it or not. If you announce it loudly, protesters will come out of the woodwork. But then, if you announce anything too loudly, you are probably seeking a reaction...dunno. I know I'd have not stance on it if you didn't tell me.

Though found a recent article about this exact subject https://www.wweek.com/news/2019/06/27/oregon-members-of-congress-ask-mike-pompeo-to-prevent-sale-of-dog-and-cat-meat-in-asian-countries/

Kinda RoC though, so read, but don't debate too hard.

7 minutes ago, Ish said:

But cannibalism refers only to eating the flesh of one's own species... Is God a human?

Probably not. But it's specifically Jesus's flesh that the Host is supposed to turn into, and I thought the whole point of Jesus was that he was human as well as God.

Either way, it's a finer point of theology than I really care to dig into deeply over a dumb pun 😉

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Duckman said:

I don't know if life is the leading cause of death at this time.  I believe that due to skyrocketing birth rates and world population it can be claimed statistically that life does not introduce the certainty of death as less than half the people ever born have died.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-16870579

30:1 zombie to brain dispenser

Unless you are of the Young Earth cult.  If that is the case, well.  😬

• Like 1