Random Thought Thread

InfestedKerrigan

Given that all the magic words in Harry Potter are based on pseudo-Latin doggerel (even worse than GW’s Gothic) I’ve always thought it would be hilarious to have a muggle-born child of a stuffy British linguistics professor attend Hogwarts.

”’Leviosa’? I think you mean levitātibus. But that’s the ablative plural, indicating motion towards and plural. Let’s try levitātem...”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I added a new entry to my "list of movie making tropes that once you're aware of, you can't help but focus on":

-when a shootout occurs in a contained public area like a club or restaurant, there are terrified patrons running around in the background. None ever appear to be trying to escape, just running from cover to cover.

Watched Anna today and it struck me during an extended fight sequence in a restaurant that the place didn't clear out until about minute 4. John Wick, Collateral, you can't unsee it.

My other favorite example is tire squeal. It doesn't matter if they're driving on sand, leaf litter, or wet grass. If they need to convey a sense of urgency in the scene, tires be squealin'.

• Like 2

More towards your tropes, I'm having issues with modern games as so many are just reskins.  FF7Rs change to Action RPG is less than desirable for me, but I'm emotionally invested in the story, so I can get past that.  However, I haven't played Days Gone, yet, because it is too much like Jedi Fallen Order, and Horizon Zero Dawn. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Thanks for reminding me, it's Anna, not Hannah. Need to change that in other thread.

Perhaps, but Hannah on Amazon Prime is great and you should definitely watch!

Joel Kinnaman (of Altered Carbon fame--been a fan of his for a while) and his super-soldier adopted daughter kicking ass and taking names. And they're all out of... name taking down... materials...and THUS, have no choice but to kick an extra amount of asses.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Munkie said:

Perhaps, but Hannah on Amazon Prime is great and you should definitely watch!

Joel Kinnaman (of Altered Carbon fame--been a fan of his for a while) and his super-soldier adopted daughter kicking ass and taking names. And they're all out of... name taking down... materials...and THUS, have no choice but to kick an extra amount of asses.

No, that was Hannah we watched, and it was Eric Bana that raised her to kick ass. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

OH! Az appropriated it for syndication, or at least episodic streaming.

Wait a minute. You're telling me there's 2 different versions of Hannah? One with a British lead and one with a Swedish lead?

Then there's Anna with a Russian lead that has nothing to do with the others??

Hannah=/=Anna=/=Hannah

A palindromilogy?!?

• Like 1

On 4/19/2020 at 1:16 AM, Munkie said:

I added a new entry to my "list of movie making tropes that once you're aware of, you can't help but focus on":

-The choke 90% to death, then neck break kill. I'm not sure why this became a thing in movies but there are 2 reasonable explanations:

1) The director asked an expert how long it takes to strangle someone to death and responded, "Screw that! We don't have that kind of time! We'll shoot it in 15 seconds and add a crunch in post."

2) It was fully intended to be just a straight up strangle and was shot that way. But in editing they either decided it needs accompanying audio (the same reason guns click everytime they are touched or moved in movies), or they actually cut a longer shot down to make it less disturbing and end the slow death with a punctual crunch.

Watch for it in the future, the vast majority of people in movies who begin by getting choked to death, actually end with a neck break. A quick neck break is reserved for action movies, and the extremely rare beginning-to-end asphyxiation is reserved for emotional moments in gritty dramas.

For everyone else, it's the choke 'n break.

• Like 1

Hollywood armorers have pretty much standardized on the 9×22mm Pistole Automatik Knall (a.k.a. 9mm P.A.K.) cartridge.

Although a creative gunsmith can make anything from a flintlock to a belt-fed minigun replica that will fire them, it’s a lot cheaper and a lot easier just to use an off-the-shelf weapon already chambered for 9×19mm Parabellum (a.k.a. 9mm Luger) rounds.

Which means that you’ll see a lot of people in film and on television using 9mm pistols that have absolutely no reason to have one. You also see a lot of substitutes, like the Star Model BM pistols (in 9mm) standing on for Colt M1911A1 (in .45 ACP) in World War II movies.

• Like 1

UV and titanium makes awesome free radicals. 

UV destroys Organics. 

Watch your wavelengths, kids. Stay frosty, stay safe.

I'm curious as to the half life of the free radicals.  If the filtration point is X away from flowers planted for their pleasant odor, will it neutralize the VOCs from the plants still.  What effective length is needed? Do the free radicals only exist within the space lit? 

We use this sort of setup in medical or food.  I believe Swimming Pool/etc UV filters operate on the same principles.

• Like 1