Random Thought Thread

InfestedKerrigan

I currently own six Dawneagle Jetbikes; one built as a Captain, two built as regular bikers, and three still unassembled and still in their box.

The collective hive-mind of internet opinion on WH40k and some simple maths both tell me they are one of the best units in the codex. But...

THEY ARE SO ANNOYING TO BUILD AND PAINT!!!

I may need to pick up one more of them, because their minimum squad size is three, but I am pretty dead-set against ever fielding the “All Bikers” build. I don’t care what the Internet says.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ish said:

I currently own six Dawneagle Jetbikes; one built as a Captain, two built as regular bikers, and three still unassembled and still in their box.

The collective hive-mind of internet opinion on WH40k and some simple maths both tell me they are one of the best units in the codex. But...

THEY ARE SO ANNOYING TO BUILD AND PAINT!!!

I may need to pick up one more of them, because their minimum squad size is three, but I am pretty dead-set against ever fielding the “All Bikers” build. I don’t care what the Internet says.

The internet always designs lists in a vacuum--no financial considerations, thematic adherence, composition preference, or any other reason to moderate redundancy with practicality.

But obviously the hive-mind's insight into your objectives is limited, so the value of their opinion is equally limited. Just use the consensus opinion on what's good and what's not as a relative value statement about the units available. Aaaaand that's about it offers.

You know the bikes are quality. Hiding the gray plastic shame of the models you already own with holy gold paint would probably be a worthwhile chore. Beyond that, don't force yourself to buy, assemble, and paint models you don’t want, that's preposterous! Just figure out ways to leverage the bikes' strength to do just the right bikey things at just the right bike-time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ish said:

I’m a Betamax. Technologically superior, but not widely loved.

I'm a Zune apologist. Technologically superior to an iPod in every single way.

First video capability, first Bluetooth sharing, first customizable backgrounds.

I still use the gen 1 Zune I got for my birthday 14 years ago. I've taken it around the world multiple times, totalled a car with it inside, and leave it in my car all year round, no matter how hot or cold. It still has about a 9-12 hour battery life. I forget to turn it off when I get home from work, and when I start my car the next morning, it's still playing.

It lost hard because it's user software never seriously intruded on ipod's market share. And it launched during the height of Justin Long's "iPod is cool, Microsoft is old and lame" campaign. And Justin Long is cool. And Microsoft isn't, so fair play to them.

So I guess I'm the technology that nobody took seriously in the first place, is incompatible with most current interfaces, but drones on for 12 hours regardless.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Munkie said:

I'm a Zune apologist. Technologically superior to an iPod in every single way.

First video capability, first Bluetooth sharing, first customizable backgrounds.

I still use the gen 1 Zune I got for my birthday 14 years ago. I've taken it around the world multiple times, totalled a car with it inside, and leave it in my car all year round, no matter how hot or cold. It still has about a 9-12 hour battery life. I forget to turn it off when I get home from work, and when I start my car the next morning, it's still playing.

It lost hard because it's user software never seriously intruded on ipod's market share. And it launched during the height of Justin Long's "iPod is cool, Microsoft is old and lame" campaign. And Justin Long is cool. And Microsoft isn't, so fair play to them.

So I guess I'm the technology that nobody took seriously in the first place, is incompatible with most current interfaces, but drones on for 12 hours regardless.

I just found my old Zune, and was thinking of trying to figure out how to get music on it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

"Send anyone claiming that their RPG activity is an art form my way, and I'll gladly stick a pin in their head and deflate it just to have the satisfaction of the popping sound that makes…. One might play a game artfully, but that makes neither the game nor its play art." –Gary Gygax

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Ish said:

"Send anyone claiming that their RPG activity is an art form my way, and I'll gladly stick a pin in their head and deflate it just to have the satisfaction of the popping sound that makes…. One might play a game artfully, but that makes neither the game nor its play art." –Gary Gygax

Although, It is great therapy.....

I don’t think Gary would disagree, per se. In fact, I don’t even think he really means there isn’t an art to good game design, a well-written setting, or a well role-played scene.

I think he was mostly just trying to deflate the egos of a certain hoighty-toighty subculture within gamers. You know the sort... 

• Thanks 2

Not sure where else to put this and feel the need to vent... After waiting months for GW to re-stock Sisters of Silence on their webstore, I finally got to place an order for the ten-strong squad on August 26.

It took a mere nine days to arrive (which is great) but instead of my void-souled witch-hunters, I got two boxes of LotR dwarves. I like dwarves, but... So I sent an email to customer service. They went back and forth with me for three weeks(!) about needing me to supply them with tracking numbers, order numbers, invoice numbers, etc. (all of which were in my original email) before they agreed to send a replace me.

It arrived today.

It’s the wrong £€@&$#% product again.

• Sad 5