just getting started

Watched a game of xwing the other day and decided to take the plunge. Was playing with some fleets and came up with this: tie defender, tie phantom, tie advanced, and a tie fighter. There are a couple lists with different levels of each ship. One had Darth Vader and another had whisper. Just wanted to make sure this wasn't a horrible 100pt list before inactuially buy the models. Look forward to getting some games in soon

Tie Defenders are good, but expensive (points-wise).  They have a very useful white K-turn and can be loaded with a cannon.

Phantoms just got 'nerfed', but since you are just getting in they will just play the erratted new version so not really a big deal for you there.  Take a look at the Phantom thread a couple down the list for info about that.

Advanced are not popular and are overcosted (Vader is good though), but they are getting updated/upgraded in the Imperial Raider box (Imperial huge ship).  I, along with many others, am very much looking forward to this.  I have flown a 3 Advanced list that I like and feel it will be popular and good.

Tie Fighters are good in swarms, mini-swarms and as cheap filler/fodder.  Swarms are tricky to fly, but can take down most ships with focused fire.  Many of the named pilots are useful with Howlrunner being the most popular by far.

Does your list include one of each of the listed ships?  Maybe post some of your list ideas and you can get feedback from everyone.

Between the two, I'd go with the first. Whisper is still solid, but not what she once was. I think you'd be better off with Vader as your Ace. Of course that depends on whether or not you're planning on getting a hold of the raider.

Vader is decent now, but raider Vader is greater.

The imperial raider is a ship for epic play that will include some upgrades to the TIE advanced to give them some serious teeth! Obviously it's a bit more of an investment though.

If that's not the route you want to go, I'd recommend getting your hands on some proton rockets for Vader. It gives him a really solid punch once per game.

I've played with a Tri Advanced (Vader, Steele and Alozen (the TA pilot that has been leaked from the Raider)) list that I really like.  A 4 generic Advanced list seems good (waiting for the Raider for the 4th TA).

Vader, Predator, Engine, Tie/X1 title, Advanced Targeting Computer

Alozen, VI, Engine, X1, ATC

Steele, Engine, X1, ATC

I'm thinking of swapping Predator from DV for PtL on Steele.  Gonna have to give it a go to see if it's worthwhile.

I'd say that sounds good. One thing though, try to get someone to sell or give you a copy of the Push the Limit upgrade card to run on Soontir Fel, the Interceptor pilot. This should be a lot easier nowadays as there is a limited edition Push the Limit card that you can get in one of the more recent tournament packs so even if you don't get one of those, people might have excess versions of the old card to sell or trade.